• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

the miracle berry

does anyone remember, in the late 1990s, there was a fad where everyone was buying Synsepalum dulcificum, also known as the Miracle Berry? It's a berry from a plant in Africa which, after tasting it, makes every bite of food taste sweet. You literally could just taste the berry, spit it out, then suck on a lemon and it would taste like sweet lemonade.

I don't know what reminded me of it, but remembering it made me think about how the taste of food can greatly influence success or failure when trying to lose weight. And I think most people have experienced irresistible desires for something sweet, or something salty.

So I'm wondering what people here have experienced. Is there a certain food you cannot stop craving because it's salty or sweet and satisfies that desperate need for one of those profiles? I know I have particular cravings for sweet or salty that just won't go away until I find a food to satisfy them. In the 1990s, I was crazy for Fiddle Faddle or Crunch and Munch, which is popcorn with a sweet and salty coating. Cracker Jack, also, but it contains peanuts which add to the depth of the flavor.

And did anyone here try the Miracle Berry?

I never heard of the miracle berry but i wish there was a miracle sugar!!!! Oh the list of cravings is long.......sweet: gummy bears, twizzlers, chocolate chip cookies, boston creme donuts, coca-cola, and lets not forget chocolate! Salty: soft pretzels, chips, french fries, nachos, and pita chip crackers. A common thing in all of them is Carbs, carbs, carbs. Boohoo me.

Last edited:
No, but I remember hearing that; I do not have issues with Sweets but more with bread and starchy food, like Breas with my coffee, Tortillas, pasta, and so on... It is a compulsive desire sometimes; I know it is craving, but it is relentless; I am still losing weight after almost six months post-ops, but Cracing and appetite are returning with a vengeance...I am scared THAT I will fall off the wagon. I drink water constantly, and that seems to do the trick for the moment, but they come back; it is a day-to-day battle, and I do not want to gain what I have lost with so much hard work, but this is definitely a addiction.

Back