Furry Teeth
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furry Teeth

Member robergnm is Respected Member of the American Bariatrics Community robergnm's Avatar
    Sex (M/F)
    Female
    Surgery Type
    Roux-en Y
    Surgery Date
    06/06/2012
    Starting Weight
    Current Weight
    My Goal Weight

Furry Teeth

Hi All -

It's Mary from Milwaukee, aka robergnm. Here's one for you; does anyone else notice that it seems like a film of food sticks to your teeth? I mainly notice it on the back. Of course anytime there's something in my mouth that's not "right" my tongue cannot but help constantly checking it out & letting me know something isn't quite right.

I used to chew Cinnamon Orbit quite often but stopped before the surg. I was told we shouldn't afterwards, too. When I asked someone why, and perhaps that seems stupid to some, the reply I received was that it can clog the pouch - for the RNYers out there.

Just curious if I'm alone here and/or if anyone has any comments or thoughts.

Thank you & God Bless ... I stop & remember all those who perished 11 yrs ago today and the issues & side effects afterwards. I lost a college friend that day; Ramzy Doany. RIP Ramzy; I will never forget. Peace all.
    Mary Roberts, Milwaukee WI (aka) robergnm

2. Likes Bigtallsis likes this post
    Member Bigtallsis is Respected Member of the American Bariatrics Community
    Sex (M/F)
    FEMALE
    Surgery Type
    gastric bypass
    Surgery Date
    9-20-12
    Starting Weight
    TOO MUCH
    Current Weight
    IT'S GETTING BETTER, JUST NOT AT GOAL YET
    My Goal Weight
    Mary
    hi I dread giving up my sugar free gum, I love all the sugar free flavors that are out there, and recently discoverd sugar free apple pie gum, taste divine, I also was told NO GUM because it accidentaly swallowed it could clog up the pouch. I've been a gum chewer since a child. It seems I am being told NO to alot of my favorites but it's gotta be a life time permanet change if I want to be successful. I haven't heard or read where anyone talks about sugar free hard candies I know they have calories in them and aren't swallowed til completely ground up, have you been told anything about them?I am sure I may be told there just extra empty calories? not sure

May God's peace be with all those whom have loss loved ones and friends 11 years ago today.
    HI, THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO READ MY POST, ANSWER MY NUMEROUS QUESTIONS, AND MOST OF ALL FOR BEING SO FREINDLY AND KIND, ALL OF US ARE ON THE SAME JOURNEY TO BECOMMING HEALTHIER PEOPLE, I AM GLAD TO HAVE HAD THE PRIVIDLEGE OF MEETING YOU BY THIS SITE, HAVE A GREAT DAY, DONNA(BIGTALLSIS)

4. Likes robergnm likes this post
    Member TwoMas is a Respected Member of the Bariatric CommunityTwoMas is a Respected Member of the Bariatric CommunityTwoMas is a Respected Member of the Bariatric Community TwoMas's Avatar
    Sex (M/F)
    Male
    Surgery Type
    Rue-N-Y
    Surgery Date
    3/28/2010
    Starting Weight
    Current Weight
    My Goal Weight
    Hi Mary and Donna, I was also told not to chew gum because it could blok up our pouch, well I have been chewing gum since I was a child and learned very early not to swallow my gum because mom said it would block my stomach and I wouldn't be able to poo, I know now that is not true but I still don't swallow gum, however I did wait about 3 months before I started chewing gum (surgar free, always) again I also eat surgar free candies, I like the chocolates but only in moderation, and the jolly rancher & jelly bellies are also good, be carefull they may cause abdomanol dicomfort and diahria But like everything else in moderation it is not bad and if we eat to much our bodies tell us and we usually pay for it by dumping one way or another. Tom

I am sorry for your loss. God Bless all those who lost Family and Friends on 9/11/2001

6. Likes robergnm likes this post
    Member marge211 is a newby on the forums
    Sex (M/F)
    F
    Surgery Type
    roux n y
    Surgery Date
    AUGUST 28
    Starting Weight
    Current Weight
    My Goal Weight
    ?
    I gave up gum during the 2 week protein shake diet prior to surgery. I loved gu but i always swallowed it. I didnt want to take any chances of obstructing the new plumbing.

Member TwoMas is a Respected Member of the Bariatric CommunityTwoMas is a Respected Member of the Bariatric CommunityTwoMas is a Respected Member of the Bariatric Community TwoMas's Avatar
    Sex (M/F)
    Male
    Surgery Type
    Rue-N-Y
    Surgery Date
    3/28/2010
    Starting Weight
    Current Weight
    My Goal Weight
    Hi Marge, looks like gum is out for you then I don't chew it much anymore either, mostly when someone offers me some or if my teeth are feeling funky and I dont have my toothbrush close by. Tom

Member Jules is a newby on the forums
    Sex (M/F)
    Female
    Surgery Type
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date
    July 25, 2012
    Starting Weight
    Current Weight
    My Goal Weight
    135-150
    Interesting...I've always chewed gum and have never swallowed it! I always would spit it out. The reason I was told I couldn't/shouldn't chew gum after surgery was the same reason they tell us not to use straws. It causes us to swallow air...swallowing air means less room in the pouch and more burping and less room for food. Of course the swallowing will also come into effect if you chew and swallow it. As for the "furry teeth" you describe, yes, i've noticed it. I believe it is all the protein we need to ingest. Nothing a good brushing can't get rid of. You may want to purchase some of those little teeth cleaning wipes (i'm not sure of the name) to carry in your purse or carry a traveling tooth brush and paste with you just in case you find yourself needing it. Ive only chewed gum once after my surgery, and I spit it out, didn't swallow it. I didn't seem to have any problems with swallowing air either.

Member Pat99 is a jewel in the roughPat99 is a jewel in the roughPat99 is a jewel in the roughPat99 is a jewel in the rough Pat99's Avatar
    Sex (M/F)
    F
    Surgery Type
    RNY
    Surgery Date
    February 27, 2012
    Starting Weight
    Current Weight
    My Goal Weight
    I found an interesting website that explains some of the causes of "fuzzy" teeth. This happens to me when I eat spinach.

http://www.freysmiles.com/blog/view/...-bad-for-teeth

Another thing that causes this is plaque build up from improper brushing or excessive salivation. Try using an oral rinse such as Crest Pro Health after brusing and immediately before bed to help control that fuzzy feeling

Member marge211 is a newby on the forums
    Sex (M/F)
    F
    Surgery Type
    roux n y
    Surgery Date
    AUGUST 28
    Starting Weight
    Current Weight
    My Goal Weight
    ?
    Actually, i didn't think about it, bu maybe the yucky feeling on my teeth is because i am still onshakes only. Maybe it it the concentrated protein. Hhmmm something to ponder.

Member Dianal is a newby on the forums
    Sex (M/F)
    female
    Surgery Type
    gastric bypass
    Surgery Date
    September 10,2012
    Starting Weight
    enough to worry about
    Current Weight
    same
    My Goal Weight
    Marge I've noticed that fuzzy feeling to. I had surgery on the 10 th of September. Let me ask this, did ya'll have to give blood thinner shots? I'm giving myself hepparin shots 3 times a day. I' m already sore and need to do this for 2 weeks. Ouch! Diana

Member Pat99 is a jewel in the roughPat99 is a jewel in the roughPat99 is a jewel in the roughPat99 is a jewel in the rough Pat99's Avatar
    Sex (M/F)
    F
    Surgery Type
    RNY
    Surgery Date
    February 27, 2012
    Starting Weight
    Current Weight
    My Goal Weight
    Dianal-I had to inject myself with a blood thinner called Lovenox twice a day for 2 weeks. The shots had to be given in the abdomen 3 to 5 inches from my navel. Rotating the injection site helped keep bruising and soreness away. It's also important not to rub the shot in because it promotes bruising and tenderness.

+ Reply to Thread