• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 weeks post op in Texas.

Welcome to the group. I'm not sure what kind of problems you are having, but I know when I have my surgery next week, the main thing I have to look at is serving size, calculate how many servings I'm having and then look at protein. Multiply it by number of servings. I'm having gastric bypass, so if you had a different surgery you may have to look at other things, but the multiplication still applies. Hope that helps. If not, let me know your specific issues and I will try to help.

Stay away from too much sodium, too many carbs, too much fat, and load up on protein, eat tiny amounts often, don't let yourself get super hungry.. eggs chicken breast, lean meats, fish will help you feel satisfied and help you lose weight fast, that's about it.

I lost 200 lb in 15 months. I would walk by the fridge and might grab a chunk of chicken. My chunk might be the size of a nickel or less. My stomach held 2 oz. and you don't want to ever eat enough to stretch the stomach out at all at least for the first year. I really never felt hungry, but sometimes I would feel I needed to eat because I felt week because I was eating very teeny tiny amounts at a time. Now if you have a Surgeon who leaves a 4 ounce stomach as some do, then you would for sure eat less often. My weight melted away easy as pie. Before surgery I could look at food and gain weight. My surgeon also believed in phasing out the shakes at 8 -12 weeks because some people will drink shakes and eat food too. Double calories. Every surgeon has different rules, just do what works for you.

How much weight have you lost? I will have a 4" pouch. Told protein shakes will be a part of my life forever. Usually breakfast. I'm just feeling overwhelmed with all of this new info. Ugh!!!

Hi Cynthia. What do you mean it is an intense time? I have my surgery tomorrow. I was hoping recuperation was the same as any other surgery, but expecting the eating changes to be hard to start out with. Am I right? Now I'm really nervous. Thanks for any info you can share.

Back