• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

4 WKs post-op~ vomiting food

hi,
I'm beyond frustrated, it exactly 4 weeks since my surgery and I'm having difficulty keep solid food like chicken down. Any suggestions?

I am so sorry. Getting used to real food, not liquid or pureed mush, isn't always easy. Are you sick immediately after the first bite? If so I'd put that food aside and try again in a week or so. Your tastes have changed and your new stomach is very sensitive. When I first started back on real food I was so looking forward to eating again but some of my favorites weren't as tasty as I expected. Some tasted down right nasty. Fortunately, taste keeps changing.

Also, at first, I couldn't believe how little my new stomach could hold. 1 whole egg was too much for me. It was hard for me to tell when to stop eating. I am working on un-learning to clean my plate. My eyes are often too big for my stomach. I've switched to eating from dessert size plates to avoid taking too much food. As my mentor advised me, " one last bite can make all the difference between smiles and tears!" I never vomited but I spent some very uncomfortable times regretting that last bite.

Perhaps you're eating too fast or not chewing your food thoroughly. Both can lead to stomach upsets. Remember to keep your meats moist. Add some mayo if it's too dry.

If this keeps happening, please call your Doctor's office. They are there to help you.

Back