• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

8 weeks post op: Gastric Bypass: Food does not appeal to me

TexasRose2016

Hi, new to the forums. I had Gastric Bypass 8 weeks ago and have lost 30 pounds. The first 2 weeks I hardly lost any weight at all, became dehydrated, and food tasted awful. I chalked it up to the anesthesia. Well, now it's 8 weeks and food still doesn't taste good. I have tried all sorts of things and nothing taste like I remember. Eggs, protein shakes, cheese, and several other things, makes me gag. I'm struggling to get my protein in. Sugar is gross. I see pictures of sweets and gag. This is a good thing, I was addicted to sugar before.

My weight loss stalled this week and I'm guessing it's because I'm only eating about 400 calories. Any thoughts?

CONGRATULATIONS on having bariatric surgery and your weight loss is great!

Tastes change after surgery. Many foods I used to love are just so so and some do make me feel sick. I can eat sweets and they taste great for about 5 min and then I feel very sick to my stomach and sometimes even dizzy. I stuck to my diet perfectly for the first year and my weight melted away. Now I eat a wide variety of foods.. fruits and vegetables and plenty of protein, mainly chicken, and fish plus a tiny amount of desserts which I always regret. I have more weight to lose but my surgeon says I have 25 lb of loose skin so he thinks I'm close to goal now.

Good Luck

Cheyenne

Cheyenne,

Thank you for your reply. I too am following all my docs orders. I force myself to eat even if it doesn't taste as good as I remembered. I don't go anywhere near sugar. The weight is coming off quickly, for which I am grateful. I just wish I could find something that has lots of protein and taste good.

You must eat. Follow your Doctors directions. I was on 1200 calories post op and the weight simply kept coming off.

If you go too low your body gets tricked and goes into starvation mode and shuts down and losing weight strangely enough becomes more difficult.

Ralph

Hi, new to the forums. I had Gastric Bypass 8 weeks ago and have lost 30 pounds. The first 2 weeks I hardly lost any weight at all, became dehydrated, and food tasted awful. I chalked it up to the anesthesia. Well, now it's 8 weeks and food still doesn't taste good. I have tried all sorts of things and nothing taste like I remember. Eggs, protein shakes, cheese, and several other things, makes me gag. I'm struggling to get my protein in. Sugar is gross. I see pictures of sweets and gag. This is a good thing, I was addicted to sugar before.

My weight loss stalled this week and I'm guessing it's because I'm only eating about 400 calories. Any thoughts?

Reading your message with baited breath. I'm having gastric bypass on June 28.
Have you tried a Gastric Bypass cookbook?

I am having my surgery on June 14 and have found isopure drink it has 40 grams of protein and 0 carbs. Taste wonderful and has many flavored it's a juice and I love it easy to drink unlike the protein shakes.

Since I had my bypass 2013 I don't care or think a bit about food. I have to look at the clock to see when to eat. This is quite a change.

TexasRose....I am in the same situation as you. I can't drink my protein shakes or eat anything sugar free. I can't tolerate the aftertaste. I can't do the powdered protein either...can't stand the smell. Add to this my lactose intolerance, whey intolerance and I am struggling. Hopefully the nutritionist will advance me to the 3rd stage where I can have fish. Hopefully that will taste ok. Keep me posted.

I am having my surgery on June 14 and have found isopure drink it has 40 grams of protein and 0 carbs. Taste wonderful and has many flavored it's a juice and I love it easy to drink unlike the protein shakes.
Hi Cindy
My name is marsha I had my surgery on the 16th saw your post and was wondering how your doing

Reading your message with baited breath. I'm having gastric bypass on June 28.
Have you tried a Gastric Bypass cookbook?
Hi debralph. My name is marsha I had my surgery on the 16th it went great. I thought I would be in a lot of pain I was up walking 5 hour's out of recovery and I only had to take my pain meds the first night after I got home (it was a for hour drive in traffic) have faith everything will be great.

Back