• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A visit in Wonderland

Myra

Hello,
Myra here. I'm a newbie. About to turn 40 in November. Pretty much I was born overweight. Life throws us lots of curve balls. Things rarely work out as we plan or dream when we are younger. I am a dreamer. I have always wanted children. As a young girl instead of thinking about boys, I thought about my children. As a young lady, instead of dreaming of the perfect wedding and the perfect man. I thought of my perfect children. But I had no time for the Dating game and never dated. The whole idea of Dating just did not appeal to me. I wanted the right man. Just didn't want to bother with weeding them out. Mamma said he wasn't going to fall from the sky and land in my lap...but he did.
I was always a bit chunky, not over weight at first. But in the winter of 1983 at the age of 9. I got burned with boiling water. I spent 18 days in the hospital being spoiled by the nurses. I gained 30 pounds. And another 30 lbs every year afterwards till I went into High School. I developed a fear of driving and never got my liscense.
By mid October 1996 things had gotten much worse for me. I was sleeping between 15 and 20 hours per day. If I was awake I was very irritable and hard to live with. I didn't work.....Not because I hadn't tried. I had no insurance and hadn't been to the Dr. in years. I had a seizure one night. Later at the Hospital.... Dr said I had a Grand Mal seizure and the worst case of Hypothyroidism he had ever seen, as well as High cholesterol, and Edema. Later I was also Diagnosed with PCOS. Insulin resistance, borderline diabetes, infertility.
Then in September of 2003, at the age of 29. I met my wonderful husband by chance, online. Out of the sky into my Lap top. It took him a month to talk me into a date. Two weeks later I had an engagement ring. In November I met his mother. We planned to wait a year to be Married. But on December the 8th (my weight 303) we went up to the courthouse and tied the knot. And I moved with him four counties away from everything I knew. During the happiest time of my life. I also became severely depressed.. no children, no family. Just me and him when he isn't working. Lots of people would have been happy(Weight 404). Adoption is expensive. So we decided to foster to adopt. My family, the one I wanted so bad. Now could only occur after the destruction of another family. Bring on the depression medicine. It was hard falling in love with all the kids and having to give them back. We finalize the adoption in October this Year. I am a Mommy to a beautiful 4 year old boy who I have had since he was 9 months old, but my weight is in the way of me being the mommy I want to be. (highest weight 477) My wonderful husband has worked and scraped and sacrificed so much for me. He has made it also possible for me to have my gastric bypass which is scheduled for October 29th..I still don't have insurance so he is paying out of pocket. At the Seminar my weight was 471 and is listed as my starting weight. I was started on one low carb slim fast as a meal replacement a day. At the physicians appointment I was down 9 pounds and now I replace two meals a day with low carb Slim Fast. My pre op day is October 17th.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your life with us! Best wishes on your new journey of a new life! Keep us posted as you go along, we're all here cheering you along!!

Wow, what a story. Welcome to the group. Not to be a downer or anything, but this journey is not an easy one. You will have to change the way you see food and the way you eat. With your motivation, a beautiful 4 year old son, you should do great. Keep focused on him, whenever you start to feel like you want to stray from the path. Good luck and keep us informed.

Frank

Thank you NewMee, Frank, and CALQL84HEALTH for your support. I have been considering weight loss surgery for 10+ years now. I have been on every diet known to man. Except the ice cream diet. I just didn't see that one working for me at all. Life is hard. It wasn't easy digging this hole I have been stuck in for so long. But I made it to the bottom and I am looking forward to digging my way out again. Blood sweat and tears if i have to. I am excited and looking forward to this journey and turning over all kinds of new leaves. There is another goal I have in mind as I start on this weight loss journey. My son needs a little brother or sister. I just might be able to give him one in two or three years.

Last edited:
Thank you Karenina. He is the only man for me. And he is wonderful. I love him more than he knows. I'm going to make that one of my goals as well. I need to find a way to show him how much I love and appreciate him. I tell him. But I need to show him.

Keep the positive outlook!! You can do it and you will do it but it will take hard work on your part also along with your "tool" to get there! We believe in you and know anything is possible if you want it bad enough! How exciting this journey is for all of us to see how sweet the rewards truly are! Your day will be here before you can blink.....YEA!!!! :)

read your story, you deserve all the best, dont know if your religious but i will keep you in my prayers, you can do this. keep posting about your progress, we are all interested. looks like you have a good spousal support and little boy to keep you on the right track to your weight loss happiness
linda

Your story really moved me. I wish you all the luck in the world and will keep you in my prayers. Do you live any where near the North Carolina coast? I just spent a week on Topsail Island. I loved getting my steps in by walking on the beach.

Thanks Maisonville and Coloradochic for your prayers and support. I wish I lived near the beach. I live in the mountains.

I had my pre op on the 17th. I was nervous for no reason. They took three tubes of blood and a urine sample. Chest x rays and an ekg. The paperwork took longer than any of the tests. Then I saw the nutritionist and psychologist again. My last meal was super supreme pizza. Nothing fancy here. I also had a diet mountain dew and a snickers bar before midnight that night. I started my 10 day liquid diet yesterday. That first day was a bit rough not enough choices. Today was easier. I manage my hunger by drinking constantly. I rotate between. Hot, room temp, and cold beverages. To keep from getting bored. I now have green tea, snapple peach tea. I have vanilla,chocolate,and mocha shakes. My nutritionist said i could have 1 V8 a day. I have decaffeinated coffee. And no sodium beef and chicken sipping broths. Three different flavors of crystal light. Everything is sugar free and low carb. My sweet husband got me some sugar free hot cocoa and coffee creamer. I will use those lightly for now. Maybe after surgery I will still be able to tolerate them.

wishing you all the best, you can do it, if I could do it when I had my band, anyone can, I would be the first to fail but I didn't so you should do just fine. hope to hear on your journey, wont start mine til sometime next month.

Back