• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Allergies to Surgical Glues

Have any of you had an allergic reaction (itching, blisters, etc.) from the surgical glue that's used in gastric bypass surgery. The person in the next bed of a friend of mine who just had the surgery broke out really badly. If you've had the problem, how was it "fixed"?

Barbara-I suppose it's treated with steroids and epenephrine if it's a severe enough reaction. If you're concerned that you may be allergic talk to your surgeon. You can be allergy tested prior to surgery. I'm allergic to the adhesives on all surgical tapes, even the type for sensitive skin. It still didn't stop them from using it. After the second day my skin peels off along with the tape and I end up with a big scar and sometimes a hole if enough skin comes off. All of the surrounding skin gets red, swollen and sometimes blistered :(

I had no problems with allergic reaction. I agree with Pat that they'll likely give a person who shows a sensitivity to the material some form of antihistamine, just like for hay fever, etc.

A little bit of one corner of a surgical site came unglued. I showed my surgeon at my next visit; she said nothing to worry about since there are stitches beneath the skin. Made me feel less fragile.

Thanks for the advice. I've worried about the glue ever since I heard about the reaction. My friend told me that the blisters on the man were quite large, sore and itchy. Now I know there's a solution if it happens to me. I do have a tendency to break out from adhesives.

Definitely tell your surgeon that you are sensitive to adhesives which actually are mostly latex if you are talking about adhesive like bandades. The surgical adhesives used instead of stitches are superglue and not latex.

As many times as I've gotten super glue on my fingers, if that's what they use, I should be fine. Thanks for the information.

that is what is used by some and sutures are the other way of closing the slits. Tell them you are allergic to adhesive so they will not use steri-strips.

As many times as I've gotten super glue on my fingers, if that's what they use, I should be fine. Thanks for the information.

There are differences between the super glue you can buy at the store and the type used in surgery. I would play it safe and ask your surgeon to do an allergy test. It could be something as simple as the surgeon or someone else working at the office putting a couple of teeney tiny dots of the surgical glue someplace on your skin to check for a reaction.

GREAT advice. It turns out, Pat, that it is the exact same super glue we use at home that is used on surgical closures but is sterile, amazing but true. I have used it in kids who just do not want sutures and on facial wounds that are deep enough for sutures but not too deep and by using the glue there is little scaring if time is taken to approximate the edges well.

Besides not being sterile, OTC superglue can cause other problems. Although using regular superglue to close a wound is possible it is not recommended. Although it would work it also may produce extreme skin irritation and may also kill healthy tissue. Superglue is made from cyanoacrylate. Regular superglue has methyl alcohol, however, which creates heat in order to produce the bonding effect. Using this type of glue to close a wound in deep tissue could result in killing some of the surrounding skin cells. Since the medical grade does not contain this and has another substance in it's place one might be allergic to one but not the other.

HI Pat, YES you are right, allergies can occur for sure and they must check it out. To tell you the truth, the detail guys who came to my office told me it was really the same as the household superglue, I never looked at the ingredients and compared to household superglue. One would only use it for the superficial tissues to close, if the wound is deeper a subcutaneous suture would be put in first to pull things together at that level and then approximate the laceration or scalpel line edges with the glue. Works very well as long as you take your time and approximate the edges well and carefully. NO tape over the area is needed and should not be applied since if you do that tape will be permanent for months until that tape wears off. :=) YOU are correct in that if someone thinks they may be allergic they should be tested as you suggest, with a drop on the skin and leave it for a prescribed amount of time to make sure it does not cause a bullae (blister) or any rash.

Back