• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Art. Painting, drawing, and all kinds of things "crafty"

Jjb

Hi, I am new here and hope to have my surgery in January. My pre-op is Dec. 8th.
I am an artist. I draw and paint and do all kinds of arts and crafts. When I first saw the weight management doctor she asked me what I do to calm my nerves or to forget about my cravings. My answer was "art". If I sit down and start drawing or painting I get 'lost" in my art and that is all I think about. I realized this first three years ago when my mother was very ill and in a hospital quite far from me. When I wasn't with her I thought about her continually and then one evening I got my painting out and let myself get totally emerged in it which was very good for me. It calmed me completely. Since then I use my art to give me that calm over and over again and it works every time. What a blessing. I believe we all have something that will help us in this same way. I hope this helps others to find this help in their lives too.

Hi, I am new here and hope to have my surgery in January. My pre-op is Dec. 8th.
I am an artist. I draw and paint and do all kinds of arts and crafts. When I first saw the weight management doctor she asked me what I do to calm my nerves or to forget about my cravings. My answer was "art". If I sit down and start drawing or painting I get 'lost" in my art and that is all I think about. I realized this first three years ago when my mother was very ill and in a hospital quite far from me. When I wasn't with her I thought about her continually and then one evening I got my painting out and let myself get totally emerged in it which was very good for me. It calmed me completely. Since then I use my art to give me that calm over and over again and it works every time. What a blessing. I believe we all have something that will help us in this same way. I hope this helps others to find this help in their lives too.
Hi Jjb, I'm glad you found your way to this online support group. I too am a artsy/crafty kind of gal. My craft is creating greeting cards using rubber stamps and other craft supplies. I also knit, crochet and dabble in painting. Isn't great that we can channel our inner most artful/crafty self to get away from stress, etc. After having surgery I found that turning to my hobby was a great deterrent and a good way not to turn to food. I now go by "If I'm not hungry, then food is not the answer."

Back