• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Beginning six month pre-surgical journey

April P

I am 44 years old, 5 feet 6.5 inches and 282 pounds. I have had diabetes for 16 years, fibromyalgia for 13 years, polycystic ovary syndrome for 26 years, sleep apnea and hypertension for 2 years. I just had my inital consult and immediately took the reigns. I have been eating an almost completely unprocessed, no-sweetener added diet and have already reduced my fasting blood sugars to normal, reduced my long-acting insulin by 20 units, normalized my blood pressure (still on medication; it was still high with meds before), and lost 2 pounds in the first week. the only issue I have with exercise is how my fibromyalgia is behaving on a given day. Food-wise, I got my whol family on board with eating healthier. So far, so good, but I think about food WAY MORE than I used to, but the thoughts are centered around healthy eating, discipline, and vigilance, not cravings. I believe I can do this.

I have been eating healthy now for four days; no sugar, almost no refined foods, and I've lost six pounds. I've already been able to reduce my Lantus insulin by 30 units and have had normal blood sugars. I've been exercising at least 30 minutes a day. Now to keep it going.

Keep it up, the more you lose before Is less you need to lose after surgery, and your body will heal faster is you are in better shape, good luck, and stay focused you got this

Thanks. Six days and 9.6 pounds gone, down 45 units of Lantus insulin, and I'm waking up alert and wanting to move. Eating no refined foods is really improving my health. Still no desire to eat sweets; I get plenty of sweet from fruit.

12 pounds gone in seven days of eating whole foods without added sugars or sweeteners. Down to 25 units of long-acting insulin from 80 units. I drink water, black tea or with a splash of milk, coffee or a latte with no sweetener. Fruits, vegetables, meat, cheese, fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil. I take multivitamin, fish oil, and probiotic supplements. No starving, no calorie counting. I no longer have body aches and pains constantly. I feel GOOD.

18 pounds in 24 days; walking is my main exercise. Low carb, high fat diet and no restriction on volume or calories. No more Lantus insulin, no more Victoza, and half the Invokana I used to take (diabetes). I'm feeling pretty good. I hope to keep this going through the entire six months.

18 pounds in 24 days; walking is my main exercise. Low carb, high fat diet and no restriction on volume or calories. No more Lantus insulin, no more Victoza, and half the Invokana I used to take (diabetes). I'm feeling pretty good. I hope to keep this going through the entire six months.
Hi April,
Please share what your diet consists of on any given day...

You haven’t checked in in a long while. How’s it going? How much have you lost now?

Back