• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Furry Teeth

robergnm

Hi All -

It's Mary from Milwaukee, aka robergnm. Here's one for you; does anyone else notice that it seems like a film of food sticks to your teeth? I mainly notice it on the back. Of course anytime there's something in my mouth that's not "right" my tongue cannot but help constantly checking it out & letting me know something isn't quite right.

I used to chew Cinnamon Orbit quite often but stopped before the surg. I was told we shouldn't afterwards, too. When I asked someone why, and perhaps that seems stupid to some, the reply I received was that it can clog the pouch - for the RNYers out there.

Just curious if I'm alone here and/or if anyone has any comments or thoughts.

Thank you & God Bless ... I stop & remember all those who perished 11 yrs ago today and the issues & side effects afterwards. I lost a college friend that day; Ramzy Doany. RIP Ramzy; I will never forget. Peace all.

Mary
hi I dread giving up my sugar free gum, I love all the sugar free flavors that are out there, and recently discoverd sugar free apple pie gum, taste divine, I also was told NO GUM because it accidentaly swallowed it could clog up the pouch. I've been a gum chewer since a child. It seems I am being told NO to alot of my favorites but it's gotta be a life time permanet change if I want to be successful. I haven't heard or read where anyone talks about sugar free hard candies I know they have calories in them and aren't swallowed til completely ground up, have you been told anything about them?I am sure I may be told there just extra empty calories? not sure

May God's peace be with all those whom have loss loved ones and friends 11 years ago today.

Hi Mary and Donna, I was also told not to chew gum because it could blok up our pouch, well I have been chewing gum since I was a child and learned very early not to swallow my gum because mom said it would block my stomach and I wouldn't be able to poo:eek:, I know now that is not true but I still don't swallow gum, however I did wait about 3 months before I started chewing gum (surgar free, always) again:rolleyes: I also eat surgar free candies, I like the chocolates but only in moderation, and the jolly rancher & jelly bellies are also good, be carefull they may cause abdomanol dicomfort and diahria:eek: But like everything else in moderation it is not bad and if we eat to much our bodies tell us and we usually pay for it by dumping one way or another. :cool: Tom

I am sorry for your loss. God Bless all those who lost Family and Friends on 9/11/2001

I gave up gum during the 2 week protein shake diet prior to surgery. I loved gu but i always swallowed it. I didnt want to take any chances of obstructing the new plumbing.

Hi Marge, looks like gum is out for you then:( I don't chew it much anymore either, mostly when someone offers me some or if my teeth are feeling funky and I dont have my toothbrush close by. :cool: Tom

Interesting...I've always chewed gum and have never swallowed it! I always would spit it out. The reason I was told I couldn't/shouldn't chew gum after surgery was the same reason they tell us not to use straws. It causes us to swallow air...swallowing air means less room in the pouch and more burping and less room for food. Of course the swallowing will also come into effect if you chew and swallow it. As for the "furry teeth" you describe, yes, i've noticed it. I believe it is all the protein we need to ingest. Nothing a good brushing can't get rid of. You may want to purchase some of those little teeth cleaning wipes (i'm not sure of the name) to carry in your purse or carry a traveling tooth brush and paste with you just in case you find yourself needing it. Ive only chewed gum once after my surgery, and I spit it out, didn't swallow it. I didn't seem to have any problems with swallowing air either.

Actually, i didn't think about it, bu maybe the yucky feeling on my teeth is because i am still onshakes only. Maybe it it the concentrated protein. Hhmmm something to ponder.

Marge I've noticed that fuzzy feeling to. I had surgery on the 10 th of September. Let me ask this, did ya'll have to give blood thinner shots? I'm giving myself hepparin shots 3 times a day. I' m already sore and need to do this for 2 weeks. Ouch! Diana

Dianal-I had to inject myself with a blood thinner called Lovenox twice a day for 2 weeks. The shots had to be given in the abdomen 3 to 5 inches from my navel. Rotating the injection site helped keep bruising and soreness away. It's also important not to rub the shot in because it promotes bruising and tenderness.

Hi Pat I got the cheaper of the shots so I had to go to 3 times a day. They told me as long as I gave it in my thighs that would be better than in the stomach. I'm feeling a little rough today. My left leg is really hurting. Had a back injury in 2008 and my left leg stays numb most of the time. But it is really talking to me right now.:) Thanks Diana

Diana-I wish I had gone with the less expensive shots. If you can believe it the Lovenox used up $799 of my Medicare prescription allowance for the year :eek: I went into sticker shock when I saw the receipt!!! The hospital sent someone from the pharmacy to my room less than 24 hours after surgery to review and place an order all the meds I was being sent home with so I wasn't thinking clearly when I told them I would go with the Lovenox. It comes in pre-filled syringes so I was thinking convenience. I did remember to ask what my co-pay was but forgot to ask the total cost. Before I was discharged my meds were delivered to my room and when I looked at the receipt I just about fainted :p I called the pharmacy to exchange them for vials of heparin and syringes but they told me once the meds leave the pharmacy there are no exchanges or returns except if there was an error on their part :( Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Ask the doc if you can give yourself the shots in the fatty part of your arms (batwing area). I'm thinking if they let you use the thigh it shouldn't matter but you need to ask first. It could be if the shot is given too far away from where the surgery site is it may not be effective.

I checked with my dietician about chewing gum and she said as long as it's sugar free and I don't swallow, it's no problem. I don't swallow, so I'm chewing away! Helps stave off cravings!:)

I notice the same thing! I have never had this before??? I thought I was crazy! Maybe its the protein? Im not sure but Im glad to know im not the only one, and Im not crazy! Lisa

Back