• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric bypass plus a Nissen fundoplication procedure during same surgery

Alioop

Because I have Barretts Esophagus my Gastroenterologist is suggesting to my surgeon that an additional procedure be done during the gastric bypass surgery process: Nissen fundoplication. After the pouch is made some of the tissue is wrapped around the esophagus with hopes that the progression of the Barretts will be halted. Has anyone else who had gastric bypass with Barretts has had this additional procedure performed? Tx...

Because I have Barretts Esophagus my Gastroenterologist is suggesting to my surgeon that an additional procedure be done during the gastric bypass surgery process: Nissen fundoplication. After the pouch is made some of the tissue is wrapped around the esophagus with hopes that the progression of the Barretts will be halted. Has anyone else who had gastric bypass with Barretts has had this additional procedure performed? Tx...
My husband didn't have bypass, but did have fundoplication about 19 yrs ago. It was a success and helped him lead a much better life. Good luck with your surgeries.

Chris, thank you for responding to my post. I had never heard of the procedure before, but, what I have since discovered is once a patient has the fundo....procedure they can not have a future gastric bypass. But, I don't know if the fundo..and the gastric can be done at same time as part of the gastric bypass. I guess I will have to wait until my final meeting with my surgeon just prior to surgery......tx

It makes sense that you can't have the funding after bypass. They do take part of your stomach after all. It seems odd to me that they do both procedures. I had severe acid reflux before my bypass, but because there is no stomach acid in your new stomach, I have had NO reflux since the surgery. I hope they are able to do whatever you need.

Back