• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair. Loss with gastric bypass..

I have heard or read in several places that some people have hair loss after gastric bypass surgery.
Has anybody had this ? If so does anybody have suggestions on how to avoid or limit this ? I am over 60.. Over weight but one of the nicer thing about me is my long dark , with assistance of coloring ,hair.
I can braid it , twist it and do more with it long. Of course I am nervous about my surgery which will be in Nov. hair loss is something I hope to avoid or limit. Anybody that has any suggestions would be appreciated .

I have not experienced any hair loss as of yet. As a matter of fact I cut over a foot of my hair off prior to surgery.
In the past when I had anesthesia my hair went into a crispy critter / dried out mess within 24 hours after surgery.
I did not want to have that happen again especially with naturally curly hair.

Thanks for the reply .. It's funny as old as we are 62/65..my husband had never said anything negative to me about my weight. He does like long hair so hoping its okay.
How are feeling health wise now?

I am feeling great.
I go in for my 3 week post surgical check up tomorrow morning, :).

Cannot wait to step on that scale to see where I am at..

My biggest complaint right now is I am having to work on eating... My soft foods diet is a lot of food for me.

Between getting the food in and the liquids now is a full time job, LOL.... I am not complaining at all.

You can try taking Biotin or Hair, Skin and Nails (both in the vitamin aisle) but other than that I don't think there's much you can do to prevent hair loss. Apparently it's the body's reaction to extreme stress. Just remember that any hair loss is temporary and should resolve itself in about 6 months.
I was hospitalized 5 times last year, the 5th time being the sleeve surgery. After the first hospitalization my hair started falling out it clumps. I had to clear the shower drain 3 times during my shower in order to get the water to flow out. No one but my hairdresser noticed, and it did grow back.

I am glad you asked the question, I have fine,straight hair and cant afford to lose any of it. I often heard about this and was concerned. My surgeon assured me that if I follow the eating plan I will have no problems with hair loss. He said getting in the protein is the key to keeping the hair.
I have heard or read in several places that some people have hair loss after gastric bypass surgery.
Has anybody had this ? If so does anybody have suggestions on how to avoid or limit this ? I am over 60.. Over weight but one of the nicer thing about me is my long dark , with assistance of coloring ,hair.
I can braid it , twist it and do more with it long. Of course I am nervous about my surgery which will be in Nov. hair loss is something I hope to avoid or limit. Anybody that has any suggestions would be appreciated .

Back