• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

hair loss??

Rhonda

Hi everyone I'm 3 months post-op and having hair loss issues, I get more then recommended amount of protein and take my vitamins. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Some degree of hair loss is inevitable for most of us. Between 3-6 months is the average time frame where we see it. The good news is that it is not permanent for most people. Are you taking a hair, skin, nails supplement?

Rhonda-When my hair started thinning out 5 weeks after surgery my nutritionist recommended an over the counter med called Hair Skin & Nails. She said it doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me. My hair stopped thinning within 2 or 3 weeks. I bought mine at Costco but Sam's Club and Walmart also carry it. Some other chain "pharmacy" stores also carry it so you should be able to find it easily.

I took this until January of this year. I started getting intense scalp itching and remembered the last change I made was adding this to my regiment. The itching stopped shortly after stopping the pills. After calling the nutritionist she said she hasn't heard of scalp itch from taking the Hair Skin & Nails so it will probably not happen to you but just in case I wanted to let you know. Keep in mind it took 10 months for my scalp itch to start.

I take Biotine..........it has really helped me out....I started taking it before any hair loss could occur.....but I like it anyway....it is a dissolve pill and it tastes good too!

Hair loss is caused by the lack of protein and other vitamins and minerals. Everyone is right. It happens to 99% of all GBS patients. My thick, full, gorgeous head of hair became a mere memory about 6 months post-op. For a few months it was as if I was some creature shedding winter hair. Then...it stopped. Just stopped. Now my hair is looking okay...okay...looks nice. It's not as thick as it was, but it has grown back. I have a bit of thinner kinda sorta sides but it's easily hidden by proper styling and lovely John Freida expensive products! LOL.

Don't sweat it. Everyone is right. And it will come back. Nothing can really be done about it, just use whatever works for you. Personally, I didn't want to be bothered. I just kept it clean, drank the protein, took my vitamins and kept it healthy looking.

No pain, no gain? ;)

Have a great weekend.

Life is good.

Letrell

Just joined this group today, so don't know who Pat is. I hope I am a bit ahead of the game in this department because I already take my supplements in liquid form (which we need). I use nutraMetrix... you can get at .... http://www.nutrametrix.com/personal...prodID=1329783&refEmail=&switchPrdCountry=USA for HAIR, SKIN, NAILS... general site is..... http://www.nutrametrix.com/personalwellness/??refEmail=&switchPrdCountry=USA TYPE "Isotonix" in Search bar to see all the vitamins and minerals which are isotonic so FULLY ABSORBED!!! Simply the best. You can see all labels and other info. Love the stuff. :)

This talk of hair loss scares me. I have perfectly straight / fine hair. If I loose much at all I will be looking bald. I am putting this on the list of questions for my next dr visit.

Seems like you have not had any hair loss as of yet. Hopefully you will be lucky in this area. I don't know if EVERYONE experiences hair loss or what % do. Anyone know this?

Thanks! Great to know. I will keep using the liquid vitamins because after they would have to be liquid anyway. Hope my hair stays nice and healthy. :)

Hi Rhonda,
I am 3 months 1 week post-op and my hair started falling out at 2 1/2 months. I was taking Biotin 1,000 mcg daily before surgery and using Biotin shampoo. Once my hair started falling out I posted here in forum and asked advice. I increased Biotin to one 10,000 mcg tablet daily. I also started taking Hair, Skin, and Nails and purchased Nioxin shampoo. At my 3 month post-op visit, I chatted with my nurses about my concern and they said I was doing everything right and that I wouldn't go bald. I also statrted drinking a protein drink which is no, no with my Bariatric Clinic. I hate to be a downer but nothing seems to be working for me. I guess I will have to wait the course, keep saying Novenas and praying that the hair loss will stop soon. Hopefully, one of these recommendations will work for you. Good luck on your WL journey! Hugs, Nancy

Back