• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hair loss

Raeych

Well, I was warned! Not enough protein and yes, my hair is now falling out ... at this rate I'll be bald in a month!
Can anyone who has experienced this provide any reassurance??
I am 4 months post surgery, have finally gotten my protein up and realize it could take another 3 months to reverse this but I need to know it will grow back.

Thank you!!!

Well, I was warned! Not enough protein and yes, my hair is now falling out ... at this rate I'll be bald in a month!
I am 4 months post surgery, have finally gotten my protein up and realize it could take another 3 months to reverse this but I need to know it will grow back.

Thank you!!!

I never had a problem with getting enough protein and I took 15000 mg Biotin every day once I could swallow pills, about 1 month post op. At about the 4th month I started to loose my hair too and did so until the sixth month. Then suddenly not as much hair in the brush or down the drain. The texture of my hair changed too. To a baby fine and it has curls, compared with the medium fine straight to coarse grey hair I once had. My doctor says it is the new hair growing back, it will probably go back to the same old hair I always had as time goes by. This is all a little disconcerting, even knowing it will happen, but you won't go bald and it will all come back again.

I still take the Biotin because I bought a lot of it when it went on sale at Costco, but honestly I don't think it did anything to slow down or stop my hair loss, so you might just save your money. No matter what I did I still felt a little panic that I might end up bald, so I empathize, but rest assured I didn't go bald and I haven't heard of anyone actually going bald either.

Thank you!!!

Hey Raeych,

I had my surgery about 8 days before you did. I started losing hair as well. I was told it could possibly happen and I was still having issues getting in all of my protein. I went and got a short pixie cut and I can already see it growing back at a rapid rate. I like the pixie cut. I already knew that it was possible because my sister had a gastric bypass several years ago and she lost a lot of her hair. You can't tell it now of course. It will grow back. Good Luck and don't let it get you down. It will all be good. Keep us posted.

TillieS

I had the RNY and went through a major (what I consider to be major) hair loss phase right at the 6 month out from surgery phase which has now slowed down considerably...

I also had a second surgery to remove my gallbladder less than 2 months out from my WLS / RNY. Anesthesia in the past has always messed with my hair in a bad way such as loss and drying it out very badly.. So 2 major surgeries in less than 2 months was a double whammy.

I mean I was literally losing handfuls of curls every time I washed my hair. I mean I would stand in the shower and cry. I had a very thin spot on the top of my head, LOL..
I called my WLS nurse and told her I swear I am going to be the very first bald headed WLS patient on record,(I have a tendency to be a bit of a drama queen about my naturally curly hair LOL... She reassured me that it would get back to normal within 6 weeks or less and it has.

** Note** My nurse did tell me to make sure I am getting some extra protein in, we added another extra 40 grams of protein in, and to make sure I am getting my 3 servings of dairy in during this phase... It seems to have helped considerably.

She told me that they have women with female pattern baldness who did not lose their whole head of hair... I was convinced I would be the first on record to go totally bald, LOL...

As of today I am exactly 7 months out and my hair loss has returned back to a reasonable and acceptable amount of normal shedding.

It is funny to see how much my hair is starting to grow back in...

I literally have a halo of Pure Ice White hair that is now crowning my head... I have been almost completely white haired since I was 16.

The hair loss frustration is very temporary and very upsetting but I promise it does get better...

it does grow back. I have fine hair and was scared of the process but everything worked out. My hair loss lasted about 3 months then I saw all these wild little hairs standing up on my head. I had to get creative to keep them in check.

Back