• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hey :)

Pixx

I'm new to forums in general and support groups as well...so I hope this goes well :)
I had gastric bypass surgery on June 19th, 2017, so it's been a month so far into this new journey! I haven't had any major complications, thankfully! I do still suffer from extremely dry throat and bouts of nausea when I smell certain foods. My tummy isn't exactly speaking or listening to my brain on the matter so ejection/rejection of food happens whether I put it in my mouth or not unfortunately :( I've lost 27 lbs & 5 inches so far! I'm still restricted to liquids but I'm hoping to get cleared for soft foods soon! I have my one month checkup on Thursday and am hoping to move on to the next phase of things :) Have an amazing day!

I'm new to forums in general and support groups as well...so I hope this goes well :)
I had gastric bypass surgery on June 19th, 2017, so it's been a month so far into this new journey! I haven't had any major complications, thankfully! I do still suffer from extremely dry throat and bouts of nausea when I smell certain foods. My tummy isn't exactly speaking or listening to my brain on the matter so ejection/rejection of food happens whether I put it in my mouth or not unfortunately :( I've lost 27 lbs & 5 inches so far! I'm still restricted to liquids but I'm hoping to get cleared for soft foods soon! I have my one month checkup on Thursday and am hoping to move on to the next phase of things :) Have an amazing day!
Congratulations. I had mine on May 2, 2017. Im on regular food sense end of June. It's a whole new learning experience. My mind says that looks good but after a couple of bites I am full. Best decision I ever made

It will get better, you are doing great so far , keep it up

Hi Pixx. Welcome to the group. I have found that I get queasy very easily and my taste buds are quite off. I wish I could say it gets better, but it hasn't for me. My surgery was 12/6/16. Still very glad I did this though. Since you had your appointment yesterday, I hope you are now on soft foods. Let us know how it went. Congrats on your weight loss. You are doing awesome.

Thanks so much for the replies :D I reread my earlier post and noticed that I didn't mention that I had a major hernia repair due to falling down a flight of stairs. I wasn't exactly wonder woman on that day o_O It took almost twice as long on that repair than the actual bypass part of the surgery, nearly 5 hours total, with 3 1/2 on the repair alone. Anyway, went to the doctor and I was told it would be another 3 weeks before the soreness from the repair would have the time to heal and subside. :eek: The repair is slightly hindering my ability to eat soft foods because anything other than liquids causes pain when swallowed. So for now, I am just continuing pureeing all food down to a very soft almost liquid level and eating slowly with tiny bites. I am able to reach protein because I boost the liquids with unflavored protein. Not exactly fun but I won't allow myself to get too negative about it! I can handle 3 more weeks of this. To help with the nausea, I was given dissolvable nausea meds and a patch to inhibit the gag reflex to help over the next few weeks, which is :rolleyes: AWESOME. :rolleyes: While both together work about 90% of the time, it is so much better than daily sickness! Again, thanks for the support!

Thanks so much for the replies :D I reread my earlier post and noticed that I didn't mention that I had a major hernia repair due to falling down a flight of stairs. I wasn't exactly wonder woman on that day o_O It took almost twice as long on that repair than the actual bypass part of the surgery, nearly 5 hours total, with 3 1/2 on the repair alone. Anyway, went to the doctor and I was told it would be another 3 weeks before the soreness from the repair would have the time to heal and subside. :eek: The repair is slightly hindering my ability to eat soft foods because anything other than liquids causes pain when swallowed. So for now, I am just continuing pureeing all food down to a very soft almost liquid level and eating slowly with tiny bites. I am able to reach protein because I boost the liquids with unflavored protein. Not exactly fun but I won't allow myself to get too negative about it! I can handle 3 more weeks of this. To help with the nausea, I was given dissolvable nausea meds and a patch to inhibit the gag reflex to help over the next few weeks, which is :rolleyes: AWESOME. :rolleyes: While both together work about 90% of the time, it is so much better than daily sickness! Again, thanks for the support!
So glad there is a logical reason. Hernia repairs do suck. Mine was done at a different time than my bypass, but I do remember it took longer to recover from. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back