• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How do you get through the first couple weeks of mostly liquids?

tammie02137

How did everyone get through the first couple weeks of mostly liquids? I'm craving real food but following Dr. orders, although its real hard at times.

I'm sorry you are hungry. I was lucky and wasn't real hungry. I also was only on liquids for one week. After that I was on soft foods for about a month. With my fluids, I was allowed sugar free popcicles and Jello. Are you? That helped break up the boredom which can trigger hunger for me. Finally, just keep reminding yourself why you did this and picture the thinner you. This may keep you strong. Good luck!! :)

How did everyone get through the first couple weeks of mostly liquids? I'm craving real food but following Dr. orders, although its real hard at times.

I am two months out and still on liquids...:( Anyway, what helps me the most in keeping up the energy is that I am adding medical grade non flavored protein and a spoonful of oil to the liquids. I haven't had any hunger since adding the oil. I also break up the cycle by having the sugar free popsicles as well. :rolleyes:

I wasn't hungry at all my first week, I had to force myself to drink the protein drink and water. After the first week I moved to real soft foods, yogurt, sugar free jello, and scrambled eggs. I'm 6 weeks post-op and still do at least 2 protein drinks/day along with tuna fish and chicken salad...and an occasional steak. Hope you feel better and things get easier, just remember why you had the surgery:)
How did everyone get through the first couple weeks of mostly liquids? I'm craving real food but following Dr. orders, although its real hard at times.[/Q

Thanks. I'm allowed popcicles and jello also but that's not realy helping. I'm hanging in there though.
Oh the struggle is real! Lol 2 weeks on liquids is hard. 2 more days until surgery. My stomach growls so loud it's unbelievable. Do you lean protein shakes sugar-free Jell-O popsicle and what really helps it's called a bone broth you can get it at Walmart it fill you up. Hope you're doing well keep in touch!we can do this

I just had surgery this Monday. The broth helps quite a bit. The first three days I'm on clear liquids then for days 4 to 14 full liquids which will include the yogurt, premier protein shakes basically liquids that can be strained. Are you on clear or full liquids for the two weeks? Full gives you more flexibility. What kind of protein are you using?

I just had surgery this Monday. The broth helps quite a bit. The first three days I'm on clear liquids then for days 4 to 14 full liquids which will include the yogurt, premier protein shakes basically liquids that can be strained. Are you on clear or full liquids for the two weeks? Full gives you more flexibility. What kind of protein are you using?
My doctor recommends Premier protein shakes. I really like them. Also what I do is I get the powdered peanut butter it's where all the peanut butter is and what you do is you add water to this powder and just mix it in a very creamy just Like peanut butter and it doesn't have any trans fat in it real low in sugar maybe 2 g of carbs just to give it a little different taste on the shake or I just put a little bit in a bowl give you something a little different

The liquid diet can be so tough but I found that unflavored protein is my new best friend. I can add it to any broth, jello, soup or liquid to get my protein.

I had rxny gastric bypass and I ate mostly cream of chicken soup and whey chocolate protein powder drinks. It worked great.

I had rxny gastric bypass and I ate mostly cream of chicken soup and whey chocolate protein powder drinks. It worked great.
I like the Cream of Chicken soup, but I am very surprised at how little nutritional value it has. It's fat and sodium. I save it for a treat after the shakes.

I bought Bariatric Fusion protein powder which knocks down hunger quite a bit, as well as Clear Protein drinks from Sams Club. A couple cans of soup a day, sugar free jello and pudding, I was not hungry at all. I probably was over in calories but lost 15 lb in two weeks.

I wasn't hungry at all my first week, I had to force myself to drink the protein drink and water. After the first week I moved to real soft foods, yogurt, sugar free jello, and scrambled eggs. I'm 6 weeks post-op and still do at least 2 protein drinks/day along with tuna fish and chicken salad...and an occasional steak. Hope you feel better and things get easier, just remember why you had the surgery:)
I’m hugely encouraged that you’re able to eat steak! My gastric bypass is scheduled for 30th April

Some people have more problems with the post-surgical diet than others. Personally, I welcomed it. I enjoyed it and every other phase of the diet after surgery. I craved my trigger foods all the time, but because I have been extremely concerned about getting enough vitamins and minerals to be strong, I just don't miss them as much. In fact they often make me feel sick just thinking about them. I nearly vomit when I watch some television commercials where some kind of Uzi stuff is being poured over some other hot or cold food in slow motion with intense and frequent close-ups. It might as well be a film of diarrhea coming out of someone's rear end. That is how it feels to me. Gross.

A nice warm cup of soup or cream of wheat cereal is more comforting and appealing to me. I also have dozens of boxes of Jell-O and Jell-O in my pantry. These are sugar-free and fat-free of course. And I make them with the magic milk recipe where a quart of nonfat milk is mixed with one packet of Milkman brand milk powder. I don't like protein shakes or foods that are filled with artificial flavors. Even now I love non-fat yogurt with fresh or frozen food added to it, and non-fat cottage cheese sprinkled with flaxseed, germ, and nutritional yeast flakes. Yum. I drink bottled water, preferably Springwater, and drink at least one and a half liters every day. I am overly sensitive to metal, especially base metals like lead and iron. I cannot drink Municipal Water because their metal content it's not filtered out enough.

There's a recipe section in the resource forums that you might find helpful.

Back