• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am having cravings and depression

Ava

It's been 5 days post op since my bariatric gastric sleeve surgery, I'm 14 and started my full liquids and protein diet. My dad constantly eats food I want but can't have. I'm not hungry, but I get huge cravings for things I can't have and it messes with my head. I currently have depression and anxiety about it and I've had it for most of my life. The pain from my surgery went down dramatically but the cravings make my depression worse to the point where I get agitated and push away my parents. I don't know how to handle this.

It's been 5 days post op since my bariatric gastric sleeve surgery, I'm 14 and started my full liquids and protein diet. My dad constantly eats food I want but can't have. I'm not hungry, but I get huge cravings for things I can't have and it messes with my head. I currently have depression and anxiety about it and I've had it for most of my life. The pain from my surgery went down dramatically but the cravings make my depression worse to the point where I get agitated and push away my parents. I don't know how to handle this.
As I had mentioned on another site is that our mindset is not in sync with our bodies, if ever......It takes a lot of commitment, determination, and creating distractions from being "enticed" with the idea of wanting to eat those foods. Think of it this way...why did you initially decide to have surgery? The most common answer is that you wanted to change your life and lead a healthier lifestyle. There's going to be temptations, but to minimize your desire for these foods you're craving, perhaps you should remove yourself from the table when your father is eating something you want. In the beginning I found it was easier to be away from everyone who was eating since I was new at this and it was hard to watch, smell, and imagine the taste of what they were eating. Many surgeons also have a team of people, who can help you overcome these obstacles as well. Most hospitals have support groups that you can join and attend to keep you on the straight and narrow. It's not going to be easy but it's going to be worth it! Everything that is worth doing takes time, and patience. Create a vision whether it's pictures of yourself at a time you really liked the way you looked, go out for a walk, drink your water, write how you feel in a journal....focus on your success! I hope this helps you achieve your goal! Stay on the path to health and wellness and don't look back!

As I had mentioned on another site is that our mindset is not in sync with our bodies, if ever......It takes a lot of commitment, determination, and creating distractions from being "enticed" with the idea of wanting to eat those foods. Think of it this way...why did you initially decide to have surgery? The most common answer is that you wanted to change your life and lead a healthier lifestyle. There's going to be temptations, but to minimize your desire for these foods you're craving, perhaps you should remove yourself from the table when your father is eating something you want. In the beginning I found it was easier to be away from everyone who was eating since I was new at this and it was hard to watch, smell, and imagine the taste of what they were eating. Many surgeons also have a team of people, who can help you overcome these obstacles as well. Most hospitals have support groups that you can join and attend to keep you on the straight and narrow. It's not going to be easy but it's going to be worth it! Everything that is worth doing takes time, and patience. Create a vision whether it's pictures of yourself at a time you really liked the way you looked, go out for a walk, drink your water, write how you feel in a journal....focus on your success! I hope this helps you achieve your goal! Stay on the path to health and wellness and don't look back!
Thank you! Its been hard and i had cheated a little and it was fine, but i am trying harder not to and this advice helped! I just am still having trouble with the injections, the brusing is alot and it hurts a bit, i ice it before and after and that helps, and i only have have 6 days left but i keep getting scared.

Thank you! Its been hard and i had cheated a little and it was fine, but i am trying harder not to and this advice helped! I just am still having trouble with the injections, the brusing is alot and it hurts a bit, i ice it before and after and that helps, and i only have have 6 days left but i keep getting scared.
I'm glad that you're moving forward with this journey. It will take time, but in the end, you'll be happy that you've stayed true to yourself and also this journey. Stay strong!

Reactions: Ava
Back