• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Introduction to me!

Gina

my name is Gina and I live in upstate NY. I am 27 years old and I am going to be having a sleeve Gastrectomy. I have struggled with my weight since I was about seven or eight years old and I want to learn to live a healthier lifestyle and to feel better about myself. I am currently doing the "lean and green diet" for my pre-op plan and have lost 13 lbs. in about 6 weeks. I already feel so much better, although I have cheated while I still can. One thing bothering me is my family asking if I can do this diet why can't I just stick with it instead of getting surgery. They don't understand the struggles I have dealt with for so long. Anyway, I have a seven year old daughter, a two year old son, and I am married to my high school sweetheart. I just recently finished up my Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and I work in an adolescent group home. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Welcome Gina to the American Bariatrics Forum! I know it can be hard dealing with loved ones who may not be as supportive as we like, but remember that we need to take care of ourselves first, before you are able to take care of anyone else. If you know deep-down that this is what you need to help you get healthy, then go get it girl!! I believe that you will find a lot of supportive people on here that have been in your shoes and can offer a lot of great support. Please keep us all updated on your weight loss journey and thanks again for joining! :)

I too am dealing with family members who are being very unsupportive. I have about 200 lbs to lose and they think I can do it with regular diet and exercise. Unless they have been in our shoes, they don't know what it is like. Good luck on your surgery.

I too am dealing with family members who are being very unsupportive. I have about 200 lbs to lose and they think I can do it with regular diet and exercise. Unless they have been in our shoes, they don't know what it is like. Good luck on your surgery.
I faced the same thing with my family. My daughter just lost 58 lbs on Weight Watchers and couldn't understand why I couldn't. I did lose 20 and gained by 10 on WW. However, my husband and other daughter talked me out of the surgery once before and I decided that would not happen this time. I tried involving them in the process by going to doctor visits with me and supplying them with written information. Luckily, they have come around and are now supportive. It has to be all about YOU wanting to get healthy. Good Luck!

Every time I've tried WW, I have gained. The only time I was successful and lost 120 lbs was when I starved myself. I was an overweight person with anorexia. My hubby was on the verge of hospitalizing me, so I started eating again and 100 lbs came back on in 1 1/2 yrs. I had messed up my metabolism and gone back somewhat to my bad eating habits. I can't wait until the 18th.

I faced the same thing with my family. My daughter just lost 58 lbs on Weight Watchers and couldn't understand why I couldn't. I did lose 20 and gained by 10 on WW. However, my husband and other daughter talked me out of the surgery once before and I decided that would not happen this time. I tried involving them in the process by going to doctor visits with me and supplying them with written information. Luckily, they have come around and are now supportive. It has to be all about YOU wanting to get healthy. Good Luck!

I am glad to hear that your family is coming around and finally supporting you PoohP! It can make it extremely difficult to go through this process without the support of loved ones. Great idea bringing them to your appts. and giving them written information!

Back