• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Kind of dazed and confused

Finny60

Well, here I am at last, and trying so very hard to understand and remember all the information being dumped on me all at once.
But first, may I introduced myself.
I'm known as Finny to my friends and Officer Finlaw to all the folks I've met through my career of law enforcement in Ohio. I was forced to retire in 2010 due to my health. No longer able to quickly respond swiftly, and by the time I did get to a scene, I was not worth my salt. I had a very bad back, COPD, as well as PTSD, along with crippling panic disorder and rage. Not at all a good mix. When I retired, I was 5'8" and as strong as a train...buy how things change. To day I'm 5,6" and 310 lbs. I have trouble with warm weather when it gets above 65°, can not walk to my car with out a walker or at very least a cane. I stay in bed 95% of the time and my AC is set on 60 in my room. My back has several areas of damage to include spinal stenosis, ruptured disk, degenerative disk disorder and some other things I can't call to mind right now. I must use a walker or at very least a cane to walk the best I can.
I have trouble standing, walking, and just about all I could normally used to to do. This on it's own is bad enough, but it's really only the tip of the iceberg. Having PTSD is no joke, only two weeks ago a good friend his struggle with it with a gun shot, and honest, I have bee, close to that a good number of time. Only the love of my children, wife and grandchildren, and my faith stilled my hands and heart.
I'm now 5'6" and about 310 lbs. I don't do anything now day except read, watch a little tv, and make plans that I can't help but even mistrust myself. It's like my brain tells me I can do things I can't.
So, depression runs rampant in me. And I've learned to no longer tell someone I'll be there! I just don't know whats next. So I can't help but see this life I live closing in on me. I have no quality of life anymore.
I am hoping to hear that others are out here that can relate to me.
Even if its only a word of encouragement. But i have a long list of consernes and really hope some of you good people can help to put my heart to rest.
First I could really use some dietary ideas that I can start on now! The earliest dates for my surgery is late Oct and more likly November first.
I know this is goi g to be hard, so the sooner I can start the better.. but there is so little I can do now.because of my back pain!
I have another big concern! I take in the neighborhood of 40 pills a day,
By the sounds of things, I don't know how I'm going to handle taking my daily prescriptions. How does one address this problem? The only reson I'm still able to function at all is through these pain meds I really need to have. I'm sure I have a lot more questions but it quite late here.
Thank you if you took the time to read all of this. And if I could get a few pointers, I would be in your debt.
Thanks for this place to vent.
Finny

Welcome to the group Finny, and thank you for your many years of service! :)
I agree that when you start this journey, there is a ton of information and retaining all of it can be quite a chore! I ended up getting a notebook and started filling it up with everything from the doc's office that I thought I would need later down the line, so that I could reread if I thought important enough to go over again, so that might be an option for you as well? I wasn't sure I would need it but during my post-op and working through the first month of aches and pains and exhaustion (and just plain grouchiness :mad:) I kept having to go back and reference things so it ended up working in the long run.
The neat thing about this forum is when you ask a question so many people are ready to help and encourage which is amazing! :D
As far as dietary ideas that you can start now, you can partially begin changing your eating habits to mimic those you'll be incorporating after surgery. It may make things following your surgery even easier by doing so. I didn't have the same surgery as your going to have, and it seems fairly common that meal plans and food lists change with every different doctor, so I don't have any specifics for you, but in a general way, increasing your protein and decreasing processed foods and anything high in sugar is a good place to start. Just reading labels on foods can really blow your mind on how much extra junk is added to the stuff we eat. :eek: You might even try a protein shake as a meal replacement sometime during the day. They are very filling! Also, track how much water you drink everyday, as it becomes important fairly quickly both pre and post op. See if you can reach the goal they set for you or if you are already there.
I do fervently hope that your journey will help you regain quality of life! It is going to be hard, but you can do this and get through it!
quote.png

Hi Finny. Thank you for your service. I'm so sorry you are having to suffer. Hopefully this surgery will give you some relief. I take approx 30 pills per day. I take about half in the morning and half in the evening. I had gastric bypass surgery though, so I have to spread my pills out over about a 45 minute time span as I'm not able to drink a lot or take more than a couple at a time. I take 1-2 with a sip of water every 5 minutes. I miss the days of quickly taking them. :( As for diet prep. I started the whole pre op planning in August of last year and had surgery Dec 6. I did my best to slowly start cutting out the things I would no longer be able to have, like sodas and sugars. I did it slowly though to not set myself up for yet another failure. When I had done that, I then cut down my portion sizes. This will be a big thing after surgery, so it is very important. Let us know if you have other questions.

Hi, Finny. I appreciate you coming to the group as a way to vent. I too suffer frI'm ptsd. And I know it can be derailing at times. Especially when symptoms just seem to flare up out of the blue. I try grounding exercuses, singing anything to distract my mind from the course it set on. I suffer other mental illnesses as well so I definitely k ow where you areally coming from. It's an uphill battle but even those can be won. I'm happ you have your faith to lean on and loved ones to cherish. It's certainly helpful. Even when you feel like you are all alone in your corner of the world remember you are cared for. I did pretty much same things the others did as far as the pre op diet goes. And sometimes I cheated. But over all I was successful. My surgery is on monday, the 21st of Aug. I am nervous that something would interfere with it but excited that I made it this far. Reward yourself with high praise for simply reaching out. Continue to think ahead and plan cause its a incentive to try , someday. Please feel free to ask us anything else you think of. And if there is something you asked that hasn't been answered by all means bring it to our attention once more. Again welcome.

Well, here I am at last, and trying so very hard to understand and remember all the information being dumped on me all at once.
I'm known as Finny to my friends and Officer Finlaw to all the folks I've met through my career of law enforcement in Ohio. I was forced to retire in 2010 due to my health. No longer able to quickly respond swiftly, and by the time I did get to a scene, I was not worth my salt. I had a very bad back, COPD, as well as PTSD, along with crippling panic disorder and rage. Not at all a good mix. When I retired, I was 5'8" and as strong as a train...buy how things change. To day I'm 5,6" and 310 lbs. I have trouble with warm weather when it gets above 65°, can not walk to my car with out a walker or at very least a cane. I stay in bed 95% of the time and my AC is set on 60 in my room. My back has several areas of damage to include spinal stenosis, ruptured disk, degenerative disk disorder and some other things I can't call to mind right now. I must use a walker or at very least a cane to walk the best I can.
I have trouble standing, walking, and just about all I could normally used to to do. This on it's own is bad enough, but it's really only the tip of the iceberg. Having PTSD is no joke, only two weeks ago a good friend his struggle with it with a gun shot, and honest, I have bee, close to that a good number of time. Only the love of my children, wife and grandchildren, and my faith stilled my hands and heart.
I'm now 5'6" and about 310 lbs. I don't do anything now day except read, watch a little tv, and make plans that I can't help but even mistrust myself. It's like my brain tells me I can do things I can't.
So, depression runs rampant in me. And I've learned to no longer tell someone I'll be there! I just don't know whats next. So I can't help but see this life I live closing in on me. I have no quality of life anymore.
Even if its only a word of encouragement. But i have a long list of consernes and really hope some of you good people can help to put my heart to rest.
First I could really use some dietary ideas that I can start on now! The earliest dates for my surgery is late Oct and more likly November first.
I know this is goi g to be hard, so the sooner I can start the better.. but there is so little I can do now.because of my back pain!
By the sounds of things, I don't know how I'm going to handle taking my daily prescriptions. How does one address this problem? The only reson I'm still able to function at all is through these pain meds I really need to have. I'm sure I have a lot more questions but it quite late here.
Thank you if you took the time to read all of this. And if I could get a few pointers, I would be in your debt.
Finny
Thank you Sir for your service. I also have back problems and other medical problems. But since my gastric bypass surgery they are improving. To keep from getting so hungry and to loose weight before my surgery my dr. had me to drink 2 protein shakes a day plus 1 low calorie frozen dinner like weight watchers etc. Under 300 calories. I use Silk cashew milk because it has only 25 calories. Hope this helps. Good luck with your surgery and may it happen soon.

Thank you Sir for your service. I also have back problems and other medical problems. But since my gastric bypass surgery they are improving. To keep from getting so hungry and to loose weight before my surgery my dr. had me to drink 2 protein shakes a day plus 1 low calorie frozen dinner like weight watchers etc. Under 300 calories. I use Silk cashew milk because it has only 25 calories. Hope this helps. Good luck with your surgery and may it happen soon.

Thank you so much Sherry!
I'm overwhelmed by the people who took time to give me answers, but even more so to the understanding and support!
What a great tool this site has already provided. I am moved and thankful by those who gladly shared with great information and selflessness, and these wonderful people who seem genuinely so glad to show me support. I don't have the words to show the depth of my gratitude!
I wish each and everyone of you success and truly hope that one day I can return this with the poring out of love you each has provided others, and have done for me.
May God bless you and grant you grace and full success in this endeavor!
All I have is two small words, (THANK YOU.)
Finny 19 August, 2017

Thank
I agree that when you start this journey, there is a ton of information and retaining all of it can be quite a chore! I ended up getting a notebook and started filling it up with everything from the doc's office that I thought I would need later down the line, so that I could reread if I thought important enough to go over again, so that might be an option for you as well? I wasn't sure I would need it but during my post-op and working through the first month of aches and pains and exhaustion (and just plain grouchiness :mad:) I kept having to go back and reference things so it ended up working in the long run.
The neat thing about this forum is when you ask a question so many people are ready to help and encourage which is amazing! :D
As far as dietary ideas that you can start now, you can partially begin changing your eating habits to mimic those you'll be incorporating after surgery. It may make things following your surgery even easier by doing so. I didn't have the same surgery as your going to have, and it seems fairly common that meal plans and food lists change with every different doctor, so I don't have any specifics for you, but in a general way, increasing your protein and decreasing processed foods and anything high in sugar is a good place to start. Just reading labels on foods can really blow your mind on how much extra junk is added to the stuff we eat. :eek: You might even try a protein shake as a meal replacement sometime during the day. They are very filling! Also, track how much water you drink everyday, as it becomes important fairly quickly both pre and post op. See if you can reach the goal they set for you or if you are already there.
I do fervently hope that your journey will help you regain quality of life! It is going to be hard, but you can do this and get through it! View attachment 1667
you so very much

I do fervently hope that your journey will help you regain quality of life! It is going to be hard, but you can do this and get through it! View attachment 1667

Thank you so much Pixx! I am so happy to find this forum! So far I've already had messages of support and good wishes! As well as some great pointers. But you were the first to respond, and a simple thank you seems so small. I need to tell you that I really needed the support right at the very time you sent you're response.
God bless you for your kindness and for you to reach out to a perfect stranger.
I am more resolved that before and know I will not fail with good folks like you out there, ready to freely offer support!
With warmest regards, Finny

Hi Finny. Thank you for your service. I'm so sorry you are having to suffer. Hopefully this surgery will give you some relief. I take approx 30 pills per day. I take about half in the morning and half in the evening. I had gastric bypass surgery though, so I have to spread my pills out over about a 45 minute time span as I'm not able to drink a lot or take more than a couple at a time. I take 1-2 with a sip of water every 5 minutes. I miss the days of quickly taking them. :( As for diet prep. I started the whole pre op planning in August of last year and had surgery Dec 6. I did my best to slowly start cutting out the things I would no longer be able to have, like sodas and sugars. I did it slowly though to not set myself up for yet another failure. When I had done that, I then cut down my portion sizes. This will be a big thing after surgery, so it is very important. Let us know if you have other questions.

Thank you so much for your response Chris! Finding this site was a blessing for sure! Having perfect strangers reach out to me with great pointers and wonderful words of support has been wonderful! I hope I can do the same for others myself one day.
It is humbling to have people thank me for my service during times like these.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart!
God bless you and grant you the strength needed to be successful!
With warm regards, Finny

Hi, Finny. I appreciate you coming to the group as a way to vent. I too suffer frI'm ptsd. And I know it can be derailing at times. Especially when symptoms just seem to flare up out of the blue. I try grounding exercuses, singing anything to distract my mind from the course it set on. I suffer other mental illnesses as well so I definitely k ow where you areally coming from. It's an uphill battle but even those can be won. I'm happ you have your faith to lean on and loved ones to cherish. It's certainly helpful. Even when you feel like you are all alone in your corner of the world remember you are cared for. I did pretty much same things the others did as far as the pre op diet goes. And sometimes I cheated. But over all I was successful. My surgery is on monday, the 21st of Aug. I am nervous that something would interfere with it but excited that I made it this far. Reward yourself with high praise for simply reaching out. Continue to think ahead and plan cause its a incentive to try , someday. Please feel free to ask us anything else you think of. And if there is something you asked that hasn't been answered by all means bring it to our attention once more. Again welcome.

My dear Carolyn.
Thank you so much for your heartfelt response to my post. I am just so happy to find such a site! You have such a powerful spirit of compassion that it was a balm to my very soul. Especially knowing that your big day is just a matter of hours away!
I can promise you my prayers will be with you on Monday, and I hope to hear back from you as soon as you feel well enough. I would like to follow through future.
May God be with you Monday and bless you through your recovery.
Warmest regards, Finny

Finny
First off, Thank you for your service. It takes alot of guts to do what you did, and that tells me that you can do this to, I would start by eating a healthy breakfast, I started that way, I had an English muffin with and egg, Canadian bacon and some ff cheese, a fruit smoothie with strawberries blueberries banana and ff vanilla yogurt, nad then I built from there, maybe drinking a protein shake for lunch and some chicken or fish and a veggie for supper, also drinking plenty of water, I still pretty much eat the same thing except for the English muffin, and if I do eat something besides a shake for lunch then I would have the shake for supper, good luck on your journey, with your background I know you can do it

Finny
Welcome to the group Finney and thank you so much for your service. I am sorry for your pain, and can only believe that geting the extra weight off can do nothing but help you in every way. I know the more I loose, the better I feel. When I started preparing for surgery, I got rid of all junk food, eased my way off carbonated drinks, and beefed up my protein in my meals. I never used much processed food anyway, so that part was easy. I also made sure I drank a lot of water. Most of the time when I feel hunger, if I drink something I am ok. Please be encouraged and know that y o u can make this work for you. For your medical issues, taking meds etc, talk to your doc and follow his advice. When you want encouragement and useful tips, this forum is the best I have found anywhere. They are great! Glad to have you join us!

Back