• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Nausea and Vomiting

Carol L Barnett

I had gastric bypass on 10/03/2017. I have had severe nausea and sometimes vomiting every day since surgery no matter what I eat, drink. Every day will this ever end. I take zofran and reglan everyday. Nothing is helping. Am I alone. I also still have to wear my abdominal binder if I don't the nausea is worse. Help? Will this ever go away?

There is a possibility that you may have a stricture so I would contact your surgeon and let them know your having this issue. They should order for you to have another scope, and they can fix it at the same time which would solve the issue. If you do get the scope and they find that all is well, you may just be experiencing nausea as a side effect to the surgery. I didn't end up having a stricture, mine was just the side effect and not to discourage you in any way, but I had that issue for nearly 5 months. I am just now getting past the major stuff, I still have triggers with some foods, some smells, and sugar. I'm told the foods and smells may lessen over time, but that I might just have some foods I can never eat again. I was also told that since I'm a little more than 6 months out, the sugar thing was probably permanent. :( I hope things get better for you soon! Your doc's office should definitely be able to help you!

Dealt with a stricture myself 3 weeks. Dr. couldn't even get the camera probe in my pouch. Really felt awful until it was fixed. Anyone having issues swallowing small pieces of food like chicken or tuna 8-10 days post op be sure and get checked. Had the whole nausea and vomiting thing too.

I had nausea and vomiting post gastric sleeve for about 2 months, but it improved. However, I was left with severe GERD, resulting on Barrett's Esophagus (pre-esophageal cancer) due to the constant reflux / stomach acid. I had Revisional Bypass Surgery 11/28/17 to relieve the GERD in hopes o f reversing the Barrett's Esophagus. I was okay for the first 2 weeks post op, but have since experienced nausea and vomiting regardless of what I eat (with the exception of sugar...go figure!). Following my surgery I developed a hematoma the size of a tennis ball and an open incision which resulted in infection and a torn abdominal muscle from having the wound packed every day to allow the hematoma to drain. The hematoma has now broken up and the pain from that and the torn abdominal muscle has improved, but I am not able to eat without extreme pain and vomiting. I am now below my goal weight and am not able to stop the weight loss due to not being able to get the nutrition that i need. I have been trying new foods in hopes I can find something that will not make me sick, without luck. I have seen my surgeon and have been instructed to eat slower and to eat foods that are easy to digest, with no luck. I also take zofran and have found that most of the time, this does not help at all! Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try to help with this? Foods that are easy to digest or that have not caused nausea and vomiting that has worked for them? Or any suggestions on what they have done in this situation (or a similar situation)? This is all very discouraging and scary. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh my Kristin, what a nightmare! :( That all sounds so painful, frustrating, and just terrible. Ugh! I did have nearly 5 months of constant nausea and vomiting. At that time I was also taking Zofran, but in addition I was on the scopolamine patch. I was told the Zofran was just for the stomach nausea, the patch is a gag reflex inhibitor, to stop the actual gag reflex and vomiting. I can say it worked about 80% of the time, when teamed up with the Zofran. I don't know if you have tried them or had the chance to test them and see if they work for you? For most of those months, the only thing I could tolerate without getting sick food wise was chicken broth. I would just add protein to the broth and go from there to keep my protein up, every once in awhile I could tolerate yogurt or applesauce but it was hit and miss at best. Since I primarily stuck to liquids the 'eating slower' wasn't an issue, and over time the nausea and vomiting lessened to where I could try several days of not using the patch. Eventually things improved enough to get off the patch completely but it took a long time. I'm not on solid foods yet either, I'm 7 months out from surgery, my protein intake is all still liquid, I try to eat something solid daily, but it doesn't always happen. I get tired of feeling sick or getting sick from trying new foods just to see if I can tolerate them I end up going back to the stuff I know doesn't make me sick. I did get tested for a possible stricture, but nope, my new belly just really hates the fact that I let a surgeon mess with it and so my 'side effect' from the surgery is nausea and sickness. :confused: I did recently get confirmation from a nutritionist that the liquid side of things was okay, because I was meeting my protein levels daily, and taking my vitamins/calcium/iron daily that I was okay to continue as I was getting all the essentials as a bypass patient. He just didn't think my 'quality of food life' was very good and wants me to work on that. Personally, I'm just happy I'm not spending all my time sick nowadays so I just smiled and nodded, knowing that I would continue on the liquid side of things for as long as it takes to adjust to this new lifestyle. I really hope that your sickness goes away soon, it just makes everything so miserable! You are almost two months out from bypass, so hopefully with the other issues you faced beginning to heal, so will the rest of you and getting back to feeling good is on the way! Welcome to the group, I hope you feel better soon!

Oh my Kristin, what a nightmare! :( That all sounds so painful, frustrating, and just terrible. Ugh! I did have nearly 5 months of constant nausea and vomiting. At that time I was also taking Zofran, but in addition I was on the scopolamine patch. I was told the Zofran was just for the stomach nausea, the patch is a gag reflex inhibitor, to stop the actual gag reflex and vomiting. I can say it worked about 80% of the time, when teamed up with the Zofran. I don't know if you have tried them or had the chance to test them and see if they work for you? For most of those months, the only thing I could tolerate without getting sick food wise was chicken broth. I would just add protein to the broth and go from there to keep my protein up, every once in awhile I could tolerate yogurt or applesauce but it was hit and miss at best. Since I primarily stuck to liquids the 'eating slower' wasn't an issue, and over time the nausea and vomiting lessened to where I could try several days of not using the patch. Eventually things improved enough to get off the patch completely but it took a long time. I'm not on solid foods yet either, I'm 7 months out from surgery, my protein intake is all still liquid, I try to eat something solid daily, but it doesn't always happen. I get tired of feeling sick or getting sick from trying new foods just to see if I can tolerate them I end up going back to the stuff I know doesn't make me sick. I did get tested for a possible stricture, but nope, my new belly just really hates the fact that I let a surgeon mess with it and so my 'side effect' from the surgery is nausea and sickness. :confused: I did recently get confirmation from a nutritionist that the liquid side of things was okay, because I was meeting my protein levels daily, and taking my vitamins/calcium/iron daily that I was okay to continue as I was getting all the essentials as a bypass patient. He just didn't think my 'quality of food life' was very good and wants me to work on that. Personally, I'm just happy I'm not spending all my time sick nowadays so I just smiled and nodded, knowing that I would continue on the liquid side of things for as long as it takes to adjust to this new lifestyle. I really hope that your sickness goes away soon, it just makes everything so miserable! You are almost two months out from bypass, so hopefully with the other issues you faced beginning to heal, so will the rest of you and getting back to feeling good is on the way! Welcome to the group, I hope you feel better soon!
Thank you so much Pixx! I'm sorry you are still having so much difficulty with getting in solid foods, especially for so long! While I was in the hospital they immediately put me on the patch before I even woke up. I did not get sick, however, I could not urinate... even when I felt I had to. They said that this was a sid e effect of the patch so they removed it and told me not to use another. I have been scaling back towards liquids again as well and trying to add very small bites if chicken and turkey here and there. Soimerimes I can get it down with some pain and no vomiting, other times it is a complete fail. I spoke with my Dr. And have done an infusion today and will be doing another tomorrow. It is a "banana bag" infusion with fluids, vitamins, and nutrients to try to help get me back on track with that. I also go for an upper gi tomorrow as well and will be having an endoscopy soon to take a closer look and possibly widen things. At this point I am willing to try anything to feel better. It is very true that your quality of life is greatly reduced when you can't eat food... not just because you can't eat it but because of the pain and illness afterward and n it being able to actually enjoy that time with family and friends. I have learned that if I really want to enjoy my meals... and my day that I stick to soup and other liquids in those days. I leave the experimental days foie when I know I will hoime and near a bathroom.
Thank you again for your input! It truly means a lot! Please keep me posted on your progress. You are in my thoughts for sure!

Back