• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need some encouragement

Christine Seese

As I stated on Tuesday, I didn't do so well eating wise on my vacation. This has been the story of my life for over a month now. I haven't gained weight, but the losses are minimal. On Monday I am starting a tummy reset. I am hoping this will clear my body of all of the toxins, plus shrink my stomach. I have learned that I should not take advantage of this surgery I was able to have. I am thankful for insurance that allowed it to happen as I know there are many people who want this surgery and can not have it. I need to remember this the next time I feel like faltering.

All I ask of you is for some encouraging words and maybe a kick in the butt. I feel like I've always been there for others and now I need the help. Thank you.

You've got this! Don't think of it as a step back, but as a reminder as to where you used to be and where you want to go. I'm only 5 days post-op, but I'm sure I'll need the same reminders. Heck, my family and I were in town last night and my husband needed something to eat so he stopped at Taco Bell and got some soft tacos. Let me tell you, those are one of my favorite things! Since I'm still on the liquid diet phase and I was jealous, I ended up licking his taco just to taste some of the flavoring! Crazy isn't it?

You've got this! Don't think of it as a step back, but as a reminder as to where you used to be and where you want to go. I'm only 5 days post-op, but I'm sure I'll need the same reminders. Heck, my family and I were in town last night and my husband needed something to eat so he stopped at Taco Bell and got some soft tacos. Let me tell you, those are one of my favorite things! Since I'm still on the liquid diet phase and I was jealous, I ended up licking his taco just to taste some of the flavoring! Crazy isn't it?
Thanks Amber. Your words of encouragement help a lot. I had to laugh at your Taco Bell story. I can so relate. The time period before I could eat solid foods was pure torture. I sincerely hope it is easier for you.

Thanks Amber. Your words of encouragement help a lot. I had to laugh at your Taco Bell story. I can so relate. The time period before I could eat solid foods was pure torture. I sincerely hope it is easier for you.
Of course! We're only human and no matter how good our intentions are we are bound to make some mistakes along the way. I'm grateful for finding this site for the support. For me, it's not been excruciating yet as I've not had any real belly hunger, but old habits die hard and just the thought of tacos made my mouth water. Surely a little lick won't hurt anything lol.

Of course! We're only human and no matter how good our intentions are we are bound to make some mistakes along the way. I'm grateful for finding this site for the support. For me, it's not been excruciating yet as I've not had any real belly hunger, but old habits die hard and just the thought of tacos made my mouth water. Surely a little lick won't hurt anything lol.
This site has been great for me. When I come on and don't avoid it because I'm being bad. I can go to a local support group, but I've found it to not be very useful post op. It is like a contest to see who lost the most weight. I'm ahead of everyone else as of March. Lol. Decided I'd rather be on here. Yes, old habits do die hard. It can be really hard when your hunger comes back. Just think of where you want to be and it will help. Seasoning shouldn't hurt. :) which surgery did you have? I had bypass.

I had the bypass as well. All my life it seems like everyone is trying to see who is better than the other. Which is why I haven't told my family. I don't like the idea of being in a room with people and talking about myself (fear of judgement), so I feel like this site is a better option for me. The people who do know are super supportive, but sometimes I just need people who are experiencing the same thing. Plus, the local group nearest me costs money to attend. I can't justify paying to talk to others like that unless they're a licensed psychiatrist lol.

I had the bypass as well. All my life it seems like everyone is trying to see who is better than the other. Which is why I haven't told my family. I don't like the idea of being in a room with people and talking about myself (fear of judgement), so I feel like this site is a better option for me. The people who do know are super supportive, but sometimes I just need people who are experiencing the same thing. Plus, the local group nearest me costs money to attend. I can't justify paying to talk to others like that unless they're a licensed psychiatrist lol.
It is very helpful to talk to others in the same boat as you. They understand exactly what you are going through. I was hesitant to tell my parents and when I did, I regretted it. Eventually they came around, but I had to work way to hard to get them to do so. I can't believe you have to pay for a support group. Not very much support there.

I've always been the biggest one in my family and sort of the black sheep on one side since my parents divorced. Plus, they all live in Wisconsin while I'm living in Arkansas, so I see no reason to tell them. When I do see them, I'm just going to say I found the right diet and started exercising. I think it's just too hard for the older generations to understand why this surgery is an option for us.

I've always been the biggest one in my family and sort of the black sheep on one side since my parents divorced. Plus, they all live in Wisconsin while I'm living in Arkansas, so I see no reason to tell them. When I do see them, I'm just going to say I found the right diet and started exercising. I think it's just too hard for the older generations to understand why this surgery is an option for us.
I've been the biggest one in my family too. Skinny people just don't understand what we go through. I like your idea of saying you found a diet that works. I wish I had done that. I'm in Georgia and my family is all in Colorado. The only glitch would be that I get some support on Facebook and my sister is a friend on there. She already told me she couldn't keep it secret. Oh well, over and done now. I hope it works well for you. :)

Help, I can talk the talk, but it is hard to walk, I haven't got on the treadmill in three days, spent most of my days in the car driving to the outlets, and now I'm feeling guilty, and second guessing myself, What If?, That is the question, I don't want it to bring me down because then I might fail. I'm a great cheerleader for others but not always for me, today is the first in a while that I got this feeling, and I need to shake it off and start working it off, and I would rather seek support on here than the local support groups, I don't want to talk to a bunch of stangers that I might end up meeting on the street, lol, at this point you guys are a life saver

Help, I can talk the talk, but it is hard to walk, I haven't got on the treadmill in three days, spent most of my days in the car driving to the outlets, and now I'm feeling guilty, and second guessing myself, What If?, That is the question, I don't want it to bring me down because then I might fail. I'm a great cheerleader for others but not always for me, today is the first in a while that I got this feeling, and I need to shake it off and start working it off, and I would rather seek support on here than the local support groups, I don't want to talk to a bunch of stangers that I might end up meeting on the street, lol, at this point you guys are a life saver
Don't beat yourself up. You realize there is an issue and you are asking for help. If you don't feel like getting on the treadmill, can you go out for a walk? Maybe you and your husband can do it together. Any activity is better than sitting in a car. Hopefully this will get you ready to get on that treadmill tomorrow. If not, I'll kick you in the butt when you come to kick me. ;) Hope this helps. If not, let me know and I'll try something else.

Don't beat yourself up. You realize there is an issue and you are asking for help. If you don't feel like getting on the treadmill, can you go out for a walk? Maybe you and your husband can do it together. Any activity is better than sitting in a car. Hopefully this will get you ready to get on that treadmill tomorrow. If not, I'll kick you in the butt when you come to kick me. ;) Hope this helps. If not, let me know and I'll try something else.
After I was done complaining about it I got on and stepped it up a bit, went a little faster than normal because I skipped two days, but then had a sliver of cheese cake for dessert today, really just a sliver and then my stomach hurt, so I drank a ton of water and felt better, so glad the holiday is over, for lunch I had ham, a teaspoon of baked beans, a deviled egg and a few pickled red beet slices, so I guess I didn't do to bad today, and feel free to kick my butt, I'm far from perfect too

After I was done complaining about it I got on and stepped it up a bit, went a little faster than normal because I skipped two days, but then had a sliver of cheese cake for dessert today, really just a sliver and then my stomach hurt, so I drank a ton of water and felt better, so glad the holiday is over, for lunch I had ham, a teaspoon of baked beans, a deviled egg and a few pickled red beet slices, so I guess I didn't do to bad today, and feel free to kick my butt, I'm far from perfect too
Hope you really enjoyed that deviled egg because I want one so bad and can't yet lol. Enjoy it for me!

It won't be long and you will be able to, and it it makes you feel any better, it wasn't as good as I remembered, alot of things taste different than they did before the surgery : )

I won't kick your butt. You did good considering it was a holiday.

Back