• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New from shelbyville Indiana

hi, I'm from shelbyville Indiana. My surgery is January 31 in Muskegon Michigan. I started the liquid fast yesterday. I think the hardest part is going to be the no caffeine part. I love having hot tea. I'm excited and scared at the same time. My coworkers are very supportive. This surprised me because I thought taking so much time off would turn them against me. I went to my last appointment before surgery and found a lot of nice people in the same boat. I have always felt like the one left out and it was wonderful to talk to people that understands me.

Hi, welcome, I wasn't thrilled about decafe either I drank it for a while and then I just gave up on it, but about a few weeks after surgery I went out and bought some real coffee, not sure if I could though so make sure you ask your dr if you can after surgery. The liquid diet is even worse but it will be worth it in the end. Good luck

I haven't had a soda since Jan. 1st. I used to have 2 sodas a day. Missing the caffeine. I am drinking water with lemon or with some flavors, like pineapple/mango or something like that. I had surgery on the 10th. No issues so far, not even much pain. Haven't taken anything for pain since Wed. evening. I have been drinking protein shakes and making meal replacement shakes, which aren't bad. I go for my first follow-up doctor appt. on the 19th and should be able to start eating soft foods then. I can't wait to eat a scrambled egg. HA!

I know that feeling, I also looked forward to the egg, but then the Dr told me I couldn't have the yoke, but egg whites aren't bad, but he also told me I could eat rotisserie chicken, that was unexpected so I left the Dr and went to the nearest grocery store and bought one, but I really had to chew it well, I go tomorrow and hoping that add more food to my diet

It will be interesting to see what my doctor tells me on the 19th. I bought some little 4 oz. containers of cottage cheese in anticipation of starting to eat that and I always have eggs. If he tells me I can eat rotisserie chicken, I will also go straight to the grocery store and get one. HA! My follow up visit after the 19th isn't until Feb. 17th or something like that.

It will be interesting to see what my doctor tells me on the 19th. I bought some little 4 oz. containers of cottage cheese in anticipation of starting to eat that and I always have eggs. If he tells me I can eat rotisserie chicken, I will also go straight to the grocery store and get one. HA! My follow up visit after the 19th isn't until Feb. 17th or something like that.
I'm hoping he adds rotisserie chicken to your list of food to : )

It's my third day without caffeine and my headache has finally gone away. I understand wanting eggs back in my diet. I love egg drop soup. Every time I smell chicken soup, I think how much better it would be with an egg. I was reading about Popsicles. Are they a special kind of Popsicles and can you have them on the liquid diet? I'm lactose intolerant so I'm looking for alternatives. Does everyone lose weight before surgery?

I know that feeling, I also looked forward to the egg, but then the Dr told me I couldn't have the yoke, but egg whites aren't bad, but he also told me I could eat rotisserie chicken, that was unexpected so I left the Dr and went to the nearest grocery store and bought one, but I really had to chew it well, I go tomorrow and hoping that add more food to my diet
Were you able to add more food to your diet? I see my doctor on Monday. Supposed to be put on regular foods (7 weeks post op), so I hope that holds true. I can't stand to see another egg or can of tuna.

It's my third day without caffeine and my headache has finally gone away. I understand wanting eggs back in my diet. I love egg drop soup. Every time I smell chicken soup, I think how much better it would be with an egg. I was reading about Popsicles. Are they a special kind of Popsicles and can you have them on the liquid diet? I'm lactose intolerant so I'm looking for alternatives. Does everyone lose weight before surgery?
Sugar free popcycles count as 4 oz of fluid. I thought I'd hate the taste, but I got fruit flavored ones and they aren't too bad. As far as losing weight ahead of time, you will lose some from the pre op diet probably. If you have a bit of a wait before your surgery, you may find you lose additional as you try to change your eating habits in prep for the surgery. I lost 59 lbs between the end of July and 12/6. Since surgery, I've lost 30 lbs.

I haven't had any pain meds since the second day after surgery. I have them here if needed but I haven't used any yet. I guess I am lucky. I saw my doctor yesterday for my 1 week post-op checkup. I can now add mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, soft foods, sugar-free pudding, , oatmeal, etc. but she told me to wait till my next checkup to add scrambled eggs. Bummer!!! I had cottage cheese today for lunch and mashed potatoes for dinner, protein shake for breakfast. I have to take a Vitamin D2 pill once a week for the next 3 months, as my level is really low. So, I take that, a multivitamin and calcium. I am not a fan of taking pills.

It seams fast that there adding soft food. I'm so relieved that most of you are off pain medicine in only a few days. It's so comforting to know I will be able to drive home in less than a week. I'm practicing listing to my stomach growl before adding a meal. Before, I would eat before I felt hungry because I was scared of passing out. I'm still getting my protein level in every day I'm just waiting for my stomach to tell me I'm hungry. After surgery do I continue this work or do you eat food on a schedule?

It seams fast that there adding soft food. I'm so relieved that most of you are off pain medicine in only a few days. It's so comforting to know I will be able to drive home in less than a week. I'm practicing listing to my stomach growl before adding a meal. Before, I would eat before I felt hungry because I was scared of passing out. I'm still getting my protein level in every day I'm just waiting for my stomach to tell me I'm hungry. After surgery do I continue this work or do you eat food on a schedule?
I was driving at 6 days after surgery. Felt like forever. I eat food pretty much on a schedule, but only because I have to take meds and need to have the 30 minutes of no fluids before eating. A lot of times I eat on a schedule also because I never get hungry. I need to push to get my protein in. I really need 4 meals per day to do so, but I stick to Dr's orders and only eat 3.

I was driving at 6 days after surgery. Felt like forever. I eat food pretty much on a schedule, but only because I have to take meds and need to have the 30 minutes of no fluids before eating. A lot of times I eat on a schedule also because I never get hungry. I need to push to get my protein in. I really need 4 meals per day to do so, but I stick to Dr's orders and only eat 3.
I wasn't allowed to drive until 2 weeks after, when I went to my first check up, I do eat on a schedule because of working, I eat three meals and have one snack as soon as I get home from work

Back