• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New to the site

Peacemaker

hi I'm new to this site. I'm a 46 y.o. female, mother of one child. I went to a weight loss surgery seminar at a local hospital tonight. It went well, the surgeon seemed well experienced and very personable. Seems like I could have the surgery (gastric bypass) within the next 6 mo if all goes smoothly. Any advice from those who have been through? I'm trying to make small diet changes now, ie no soda, avoid fried foods and sweets, limit carbs etc. And drink tons of water. I'm concerned that once I give up foods I enjoy that I will have a void. I'm concerned what I will put in its place. Food is so comforting to me since I'm such an emotional eater. But I realize it's an addiction and I need help! Should I start drinking protein shakes? Any other suggestions? Thnx

Hi Christine,
I am really happy for you and like you I also have been omitting foods from my life. I think it will make it easier, but you can only take one thing away at a time if you want it to work. I replaced mountain dew with peach propel water, there are no calories and it tastes great without an after taste.

Back