• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

pre-surgical weight loss?

RedMama

Does anyone know how insurance companies look at pre-surgical weight loss?
Seeing in the beginning of my journey I qualify for everything but what if I lose too much? Will they still go ahead with the surgery or does my ins. co. no longer cover it?

Does anyone know how insurance companies look at pre-surgical weight loss?
Seeing in the beginning of my journey I qualify for everything but what if I lose too much? Will they still go ahead with the surgery or does my ins. co. no longer cover it?

Talk to your surgeon.

A few more questions.

What is your current BMI?

Do you have other medical conditions as well such as blood pressure issues, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

My BMI was around 40 when I started. I have other medical conditions. I did drop some weight pre-surgical, which dropped my weight so that my BMI dropped to around 39. I still was within the range of qualifying no matter what since you are elgible if your BMI is either over 40 or your BMI is over 35 with medical conditions.

Your surgeon's team helps you gain approval. They would give you a more definite answer as it pertains to your precise circumstances.

The short answer is I have never heard of anyone NOT being approved once they started their program with their surgeon's team.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I think the insurance companies only look at your weight and BMI at the beginning. I had lost 60 of my 107 pounds before surgery and the surgery was still approved. So if I lost over half my excess weight why did I have the surgery, you ask? Because I knew I couldn't maintain it. It was kind of funny in the bariatric unit after surgery when they gave me a size 4X gown and called it a "small". It didn't fit.

My BMI is 36 and when I asked the coordinator today she said she only uses my first BMI from today.

My BMI was 35 when starting. I had high blood pressure, gerd, overactive bladder. My BMI was 33 at time of surgery. They used initial 35 bmi.

Back