• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein bars

Michelle Dulle

A worker at a nutrition store told me not to eat protein bars. He said that heating protein in a bar changes it and you are not really getting all the protein it says. Anyone heard of this?

A worker at a nutrition store told me not to eat protein bars. He said that heating protein in a bar changes it and you are not really getting all the protein it says. Anyone heard of this?
Were they trying to sell you powder? I have never heard that before, but then I don’t eat bars, so I guess I’m not an expert. :D It just sounds like something someone trying to sell a different product would say. Can you ask your nutritionist? That would be your best person for information.

I've eaten them. Not the fast track high energy bars but the nature valley granola with protein and others similar. I only ate them before surgery. Im afraid I don't understand what the sales rep was trying to say by changing them if eaten. Should we have ground them up and put it in a smoothie? Ew! You got me curious. Never heard such a thang.

Protein can "denature" when exposed to high temps. Sort of like when wool shrinks if washed in hot water.
Oh! So our body temp is considered high enough to denature protein? We gotta have a shake? Forgive me if I drive you crazy with the questions. Protein is a major part of our lives now so I want to deplete the wealth of information.

You have to check the protein bars label. There are some that aren't too bad but others are so high in sugar. Just make sure you don't store them where it can hot. Protein lumps together when in the heat.

Back