• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Shhh... Don't Tell

Yolanda1209

Hi, All,

I'm a former bulimic/ anorexic who now needs bariatric SX. I'm at the very beginning of my journey (only met with my surgeon 1 week ago). Full disclosure- I also have an anxiety disorder which makes it difficult for me to be around a lot of people for a long time. (Hence the online support group). I only have 1-2 close friends, and when I told them about my decision to have surgery, they both became very negative about the idea. It's to the extent that I am no longer comfortable discussing the topic with them. Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, how did you deal with it? I should say that I have an amazing, supportive husband, and I have discussed the topic with my mum. (My family is lovely, but they aren't known for their support). So... how do I handle the challenges of this completely life-changing journey without much support? Do I become BFFs with my medical team and schedule extra therapy sessions? Any advice appreciated! Thanks! Sorry!

Hi, All,

I'm a former bulimic/ anorexic who now needs bariatric SX. I'm at the very beginning of my journey (only met with my surgeon 1 week ago). Full disclosure- I also have an anxiety disorder which makes it difficult for me to be around a lot of people for a long time. (Hence the online support group). I only have 1-2 close friends, and when I told them about my decision to have surgery, they both became very negative about the idea. It's to the extent that I am no longer comfortable discussing the topic with them. Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, how did you deal with it? I should say that I have an amazing, supportive husband, and I have discussed the topic with my mum. (My family is lovely, but they aren't known for their support). So... how do I handle the challenges of this completely life-changing journey without much support? Do I become BFFs with my medical team and schedule extra therapy sessions? Any advice appreciated! Thanks! Sorry!
For myself me and my sister had the surgery so we support each other and our support group. Yes support is important but only one is good I made up my mind that i am doing this for myself! It's the best decision I made for myself. I'm now only 7.4 to 22.4 to lose to goal weight. I have lost a total of 140 lbs. 80 I lost on my own the rest with the bypass. I have regained my life and my health it's been over thirty years sense I can now wear size ten in jeans. Don't let anyone hold you back.

Yolanda, congrats on your decision to begin your journey. I actually think you are in a great place, if your husband is supportive, that will make such a huge difference! You live with him on a daily basis and he will be there when you need it. You don't actually live with your friends that are negative so that's an added bonus. :) I have seen friends that don't have the support of their spouse, and it was a very rough road for a long while for them. Also, keep in mind that there is negative talk everywhere regarding WLS and your husband might hear some of it, having his support will be invaluable in the long run as you both go through this journey together and he will have your support as well. :) I have a similar situation, my mother was and still is very negative about the entire thing. It is a topic we don't discuss. Maybe some day, but I'm still recovering and I refuse to bring that king of negativity into the mix of what is already difficult. You've come here, which is where you will find a lot of support. This is a great group of people who excel at support and encouragement. If you need in person support, look and see or ask your surgeon if there is a local support group that has meetings. You may find someone there that you can connect with to help as well. I wish you the best!

I think you and I could be twins. I too suffer from severe anxiety and only have a few close friends because of it. I had to deal with negativity from my family about my decision to have WLS, but was fortunate enough to have a very supportive husband to get me through the pre op stage. Plus, I had everyone here. After surgery, when I became successful, my family came around. I’m now down 140# with 53# to go and EVERYONE has been so supportive. Just hang in there and depend on the people you can.

Back