• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting out: How do you gain momentum?

HoJo

I am an absolute newby in a 6-month bariatric surgery program. But, like many others, not new to unsuccessful dieting for a gazillion years. How do others start to "diet" again and deal with the hunger and headaches that are associated with eating less? My brain kind of knows things might be different this time. I hope I'm approved for surgery and finally lose a good amount of weight. But the same old feelings of frustration crash in as I start writing down everything I eat and drink and count every step I take. My head knows I need to learn a new way of running my life, but it's hard getting my heart into it so early in the game. Does or did anyone else feel like this when they started out? How did you get yourself motivated and going? I would appreciate any help or suggestions.:(

I found my failure was trying to change my life all at once. Every time I did, it all came crashing down. I used the time before surgery to gradually change my life and my eating habits. I first cut out my big habits. For me that was soda. I then cut down on my portion sizes. I finally cut out sugar. By the end, I was ready for my 2 week protein shake only diet. It was tough, don’t get me wrong, but a lot easier than it had been in the past. I think the fact that I was doing it to be successful at surgery helped a lot too. Good luck and keep us informed on how you are doing.

I found my failure was trying to change my life all at once. Every time I did, it all came crashing down. I used the time before surgery to gradually change my life and my eating habits. I first cut out my big habits. For me that was soda. I then cut down on my portion sizes. I finally cut out sugar. By the end, I was ready for my 2 week protein shake only diet. It was tough, don’t get me wrong, but a lot easier than it had been in the past. I think the fact that I was doing it to be successful at surgery helped a lot too. Good luck and keep us informed on how you are doing.[/QUOTE

Christine, you are right on target with your answer to me. I have a tendency to try to fix everything and of course, "perfectly," right at the start. It never works. I like your suggestion to take on things in a stepwise fashion. This has obviously worked for you!

Christine, you are right on target with your answer to me. I have a tendency to try to fix everything and of course, "perfectly," right at the start. It never works. I like your suggestion to take on things in a stepwise fashion. This has obviously worked for you!
I hope it works for you! :)

I did the soda thing too, had a major Dew addiction for years. I cut it out 8 months before surgery, then cut out high starch and prepackaged foods, one at a time. However, I hadn't cut out sugar before surgery. I like cake...and pie...and well most desserts. :confused: Hasn't been an issue since though, I can't take the taste of sugar, the one super positive side effect from the surgery. :D So now I like to look at cake, and pie, and beautiful desserts and when asked if I want some, I smile and decline, cause the pleasure of knowing it isn't going to be adding to my thighs or tummy is nearly as awesome as eating it. Nearly...:p

Guys...today I had oreos :(. They were a limited edition. Apple pie flavored. Sigh. I know, I got no excuse. It's that time of year where these things are a greater temptation. I like how some are able to resist. I get the struggle. I really do. I just...sigh...I just wish there wasn't one. Like all food should've been made healthy from the start. All meds should've been fully beneficial without any side effects. I want more oreos. But i had a protein shake so I'm full. almost two months out and I am moody. Thanks for reading.

Hi Carolyn337: I applaud your honesty. Lots of unhealthy food keeps "calling my name"!! Since I'm a newby, food shopping has become quite an adventure. I used to just mindlessly go through the grocery store grabbing whatever looked good (almost everything!). Now I'm going slow and checking every darn label and comparing them. I guess this will be my new way of life!:rolleyes:

Hi Carolyn337: I applaud your honesty. Lots of unhealthy food keeps "calling my name"!! Since I'm a newby, food shopping has become quite an adventure. I used to just mindlessly go through the grocery store grabbing whatever looked good (almost everything!). Now I'm going slow and checking every darn label and comparing them. I guess this will be my new way of life!:rolleyes:
It definitely has you in the store twice as long as it used to be. But once you've established what you want and like you can keep getting those things. Then from time to time find ways to make the same ol same ol more exciting. You know what you can and cannot have which limits the choices...sigh...fish again?! Welp...that's another two pounds we will lose. Lol.

I'm 2 months post op. Gastric bypass. All foods that are bad for me.....still look amazing! Sometimes I just want to eat one meal like I used to...lol. I don't though. It's been a journey sometimes really rough. I wouldn't change a thing!

Since I'm really at the beginning of the road, I can't imagine maintaining a healthy lifestyle of eating and exercise for 6 whole months in a row. I've never been able to do that before. And that's even before I find out if I'm a WLS candidate! I guess it is probably best to face each meal and snack one by one. Anyone have any other suggestions on sticking to a healthy lifestyle? o_O

Guys...today I had oreos :(. They were a limited edition. Apple pie flavored. Sigh. I know, I got no excuse. It's that time of year where these things are a greater temptation. I like how some are able to resist. I get the struggle. I really do. I just...sigh...I just wish there wasn't one. Like all food should've been made healthy from the start. All meds should've been fully beneficial without any side effects. I want more oreos. But i had a protein shake so I'm full. almost two months out and I am moody. Thanks for reading.
I just now saw this. Don’t beat yourself up. You had some Oreos. I’m assuming you didn’t eat the whole package, so that is good. Get rid of them, if you haven’t already, and start again. Not going to do any good to beat yourself up. We all make mistakes!

I just now saw this. Don’t beat yourself up. You had some Oreos. I’m assuming you didn’t eat the whole package, so that is good. Get rid of them, if you haven’t already, and start again. Not going to do any good to beat yourself up. We all make mistakes!
I ate four. Shared out the rest. I am looking at the new pack with trepidation.

M
Throw the new pack in the deepest dumpster, right away. I’ve had to do this a number of times. Our surgery doesn’t stop our cravings, so we have to be stronger than they are. I know you can do it. :)
my nephew demolished them. They weren't as powerful a temptation as the apple pie oreos, still. I hope I get through this. Mom says cake mix is on sale. Sigho_O

M
my nephew demolished them. They weren't as powerful a temptation as the apple pie oreos, still. I hope I get through this. Mom says cake mix is on sale. Sigho_O
Be strong and don’t buy that cake mix. Your mom should help you and not tell you that it is on sale. That was just cruel. I’m sorry it happened. If you feel the urge to go buy some, send me a private message. I’ll try to keep you on the straight and narrow. I’m fighting my own demons and have done it alone. I wish I had someone who understood how hard it is to fight it.

I totally didn't realize there was an Oreo discussion going on either! :oops: So I was in the store the other day, and at the end of the check out counter there was a display of Oreo's. The display had half 'original' and half was the new 'thin' ones. Right now I'm totally kind of obsessed with looking up sugar values in things since it is such a trigger for me. So I picked up both and compared the nutrition values. I was shocked! Okay, so one serving size = 3 cookies. The original cookies if eaten in serving size have 160 calories, 7 grams fat, 14 grams sugar, 2 grams protein. The 'thin' cookies had 140 calories, 6 grams fat, 12 grams sugar, and 1 gram protein. Really? Why sacrifice the yummy middle for 20 calories, 1 fat gram, 2 grams of sugar and 1 gram of protein? At least that is what my head said when I compared the two packages. Anyway, I put them both back, the sugar content being too high, but darn it for the temptation of it! This is so going to be a rough year during the holidays!

I totally didn't realize there was an Oreo discussion going on either! :oops: So I was in the store the other day, and at the end of the check out counter there was a display of Oreo's. The display had half 'original' and half was the new 'thin' ones. Right now I'm totally kind of obsessed with looking up sugar values in things since it is such a trigger for me. So I picked up both and compared the nutrition values. I was shocked! Okay, so one serving size = 3 cookies. The original cookies if eaten in serving size have 160 calories, 7 grams fat, 14 grams sugar, 2 grams protein. The 'thin' cookies had 140 calories, 6 grams fat, 12 grams sugar, and 1 gram protein. Really? Why sacrifice the yummy middle for 20 calories, 1 fat gram, 2 grams of sugar and 1 gram of protein? At least that is what my head said when I compared the two packages. Anyway, I put them both back, the sugar content being too high, but darn it for the temptation of it! This is so going to be a rough year during the holidays!
If you are going to indulge, you might as well go for the old, I guess. Good job putting them down. Last holiday season I kind of lucked out. I was in the beginning of my 2 week shake fest for Thanksgiving. That was hard, but I had a goal so I stuck to it. For Christmas I had a new tummy, surgery was 12/6, so I was in the “I’m not hungry” stage. This year is going to be hard.

If you are going to indulge, you might as well go for the old, I guess. Good job putting them down. Last holiday season I kind of lucked out. I was in the beginning of my 2 week shake fest for Thanksgiving. That was hard, but I had a goal so I stuck to it. For Christmas I had a new tummy, surgery was 12/6, so I was in the “I’m not hungry” stage. This year is going to be hard.
I don't celebrate the holidays but when things aRE on sale my mom shops and stocks. Then there will be the smell of pies and cakes and Watergate salad and, ok you get the point. That's just naming desserts. I decided to challenge myself by setting a goal. I will try not to Gain any weight. I think they will be hard enough. So I will reset the goal after Easter to lose more than 10 pounds. I liked the lean cuisine dinner during pre op. Maybe I can get those instead...idk. it will be interesting that's for sure.

I don't celebrate the holidays but when things aRE on sale my mom shops and stocks. Then there will be the smell of pies and cakes and Watergate salad and, ok you get the point. That's just naming desserts. I decided to challenge myself by setting a goal. I will try not to Gain any weight. I think they will be hard enough. So I will reset the goal after Easter to lose more than 10 pounds. I liked the lean cuisine dinner during pre op. Maybe I can get those instead...idk. it will be interesting that's for sure.
I’m sure you will do well. Just keep your eye on the goal!

Back