• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Very low carb / very low calorie pasta's

Pat99

I thought these products should be posted in the recipe forum because you can easily work them into your favorite pasta recipe for a very low carb pasta meal. This link takes you directly to the nutritional information for the fettuccine noodles but you can navigate the site to find nutritional information for all products. You can also find retail stores and on-line stores where to purchase all the products shown. An easy way to find a retail store on House Foods site is to type the work RETAIL in the search box. Just click on your state and a list of stores in your state will pop up.

I just found these on-line today so I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I will buy some on my next grocery trip and come back here to give my opinion.

http://www.house-foods.com/product/TOFU+SHIRATAKI+FETTUCCINE+SHAPE+8+oz./

Last edited:
I actually LOVE these noodle products... some are even made with Yam starch, which I guess is an "indigestible carb/starch", which makes it carb free and almost calorie free! I warn you though, they all have a texture and an odor that some people will not like. The texture is kinda "rubbery", but works EXCELLENT as a stirfry noodle (not so great as an italian noodle substitute). As for odor, you simply rinse them very well before cooking with them... they actually have no taste, so they take on whatever flavor sauce you use.

If you want a decent low carb pasta fettucinni that works well for Italian dishes, try Carba-Nada by Aldente http://aldentepasta.com/product-categories/carbanada/ . My husband is a type 1 diabetic, and he really likes this product, because the high fiber content offsets the carb count allowing him to actually enjoy a little pasta!

enicholson-I'm glad you mentioned that there may be an unpleasant odor and to just rinse it off otherwise I would have probably dumped the pasta down the disposer then post my dislike *LOL* I am one of those people who is cursed with a "super sniffer" and notice odors that others' can't even detect at all. As far as there being no taste, that's pretty typical of tofu products. I don't think regular pasta has any taste either until you add something. It's a shame that more people on this forum won't give tofu a try because they say it has no taste. That's the beauty of it because you can put it into anything and not even know it's there and still get the benefit of high quality, very digestable protein. I can't wait to try these. In fact, if the bottom part of my driveway next to the street wasn't buried in 2 feet of snow (thanks to the plow shoving it in there) I would be on my way to the store right now *LOL*

If my store carries the elbow shaped "noodles" I'm going to make mac & cheese first :) Veggie stir fry with fresh ginger and soy sauce is next :) the next thing will probably be something with Italian style meat sauce.

I'm a big fan of Dreamfield's line of pasta but it still has a lot of calories despite the low net carb count. I'm more than willing to sacrifice some flavor and texture to shave off the amount of calories that the House Foods Shirataki "noodles" offers...

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipes... And be sure to let us know how it taste... I am all for trying tofu.. I believe I have had it before. Just don't remember how. But it would make a great substitute to go with my spaghetti when I make it for my family. Make them reg noodles.. and if they are ok, I can have the tofu. So I am very eager to hear what you think! either way, I may try myself.

Johnscrystal-Try Dreamfield's pasta. It has very low digestible net carbs and tastes exactly like regular white pasta but the calorie count is the same as regular pasta. I have found it in the pasta aisle at Walmart and Kroger. You can also buy it on-line at the store from this forum.

Here's my feedback on HOUSE FOODS TOFU SHIRATAKI angelhair pasta. The store I went to only had angelhair so that's what I used. I would have rather used fettuccini. I rinsed it very well in a colander under running water. I had to use my fingers to seperate the noodles since they were wound together pretty tight. I chopped up 1/4 of a large sweet red bell pepper and braised it in a non-stick pan until slightly soft then added a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. I added the angelhair which was once again all wound together. I had to break up the pasta by cutting it into small pieces with the end of my "flipper". This is the only way to get it to mix with the peppers. I seasoned with salt and pepper then added some dried parsley flakes. Once warmed through I plated it and topped with 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese and put it in the microwave on high for 15 seconds. This test run was just to determine if I liked the "pasta" well enough to buy it again. I didn't make it into a high protein meal which could be done by simply adding some cooked chicken or other low fat meat.

Although very soft in texture the pasta was very good, excellent in fact, and I will buy it again. It was under $2 for the 2 serving bag I bought. If I had added some meat or eggs and more veggies this would easily make 3-4 servings so even though the pasta is pricey in comparison to regular pasta it's still an economical dish to prepare.

You will find this pasta in the refrigerator section where your grocer keeps the tofu and other veggie type foods. It's packaged in a clear plastic bag filled with water. Remember to drain and rinse well before using. I will post some recipe ideas at a later time once I find more of this but in a different shape, like fettuccini or elbows.

Last edited:
Back