• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What should I expect are PRE-OP visit?

dragonfly11

Oddly, nobody has really filled me in on this even though I go Tuesday. I'm slightly worried that I could be 1-2 lbs. over the doctor's weight he wanted me at (I've been gaining on weekends and working all week to drop it again). I'm not sure if it's just paperwork, physical tests, etc. Does anyone have any advice? How worried should I be about the 1-2 lbs. as well? I'm just full of nervous energy lately. I feel like I'm so close, yet... :/

dragonfly,
Hello have you got an appoval? If so i wouldn"t stress over a pound or 2. You will be put on a pre-op diet and you will loose more. My doctor wanted me to loose 20 pounds and i didn't even come close to that. He was happy that i lost what i did and kept on loosing. The pre-op visit is blood work ekg and upper gastric test where you drink some barrium chalky fluid. A visit with the nutritionist while you sample protein. You may meet with the hospitalist. They also tell you what to expect for the surgery. If you meet with the surgeon , he will check you and put you on the pre op diet and sign the surgery consent. Should be good to go from there. Have the surgery and then the recovery. I am on my 4th day out anything you need to ask feel free. I wish you well. So glad i did it and on my way to a happy healthy weight! Michele

Dragonfly-you will do fine. I work at the hospital that I am going to have my surgery at-at the end of December. You will also have to sign the surgery consent form usually a 2nd time as well when you arrive for the surgery on that morning. That is normal procedure.
Hey I already know the Nurses at the unit I will be on as the Unit I work on (Cardiac) is right next door to it. I can take a little walk with my IV pole over to visit my teammates.
Normal to be nervous right before any major procedure.

Carol

Dragonfly-Take this opportunity to ask questions about the surgery and what to expect afterwards. Make a list and take it with you to the consult. Don't be afraid to ask whatever is on your mind even if you think it's "silly". And don't forget to write down the answers because you won't remember everything if you're nervous.

Also, don't be concerned about the 1 or 2 pound weight gain you mentioned.

Wow, I can really see how every Center is different after reading this post. My preop visit was just to see the surgeon. He did an exam, explained the procedure and had me sign all the operative permits. Told me when to start my liquid diet and said, "see you Monday morning". All the other testing was done before that appointment, all the nutritional training was done, I had my EGD and stress test done before, and had attended all preop classes and had all the information including phone numbers for my family to be able to call. I wasn't even weighed on that visit. It was a piece of cake. I don't know where you are in your list of things to complete but it should not be a problem. Just get your orders, do your liquid diet as instructed and I don't think they will have any heartache over a few pounds.

Remember that being nervous is normal. It kind of reminded me of when I had my kids and I had to prepare my nest. I had the same kind of energy prior to this surgery (preparing the nest for myself instead of for babies).

Good luck on your journey. Another step being taken!

I was told that my pre op will take 2-3 hours so to be prepared for that amount of time. I think it is visits with anesthesia dept, chest xray, maybe blood work and not sure what else could take that time! I would suggest when you sign your operative consent form you put on it, "Dr X is to be the only operator and can only be assisted during this surgery. At no time am I to be considered a teaching subject and no one is to be doing any procedure on me that could be construed as educationl" Many Bariatric Centers are in Teaching Hospitals and I suggest with ANY surgery, you put that on the surgical consent forms. Do not feel badly, the docs do the same thing for themselves and family. IT is NOT a requirement for us to be teaching subjects and it does not benefit us for someone to learn on us, it only benefits them and it is one of a number of certain surgeries they need before trying to get certified or become a Fellow etc. Let us know how it goes and what they did. Where are going for your surgery?

The pre-op visit is blood work ekg and upper gastric test where you drink some barrium chalky fluid.

me2012,

Thanks for the reminder about the upper gastric. And Congratulations again on your outstanding recovery!

Dragonfly,

You'll get through. Just keep thinking that and you'll get through.

Sometimes, things just turn out funny.

I had an upper GI test once. They tell you what they're going to do, then put you up in front of this machine with a cup of chalky fluid and tell you to drink. They told me to take a sip. I did. then the head guy says, "Drink! Drink it all! Drink it all right now!!!" So, I drank it all. Next thing I know, he's telling me to, "Drink more!" I panic. I say, "There isn't any more!" He says, "Don't be stupid. Of course there's more. Drink more!" I tell him, "There isn't any more because when you told me to drink it all, I drank it all." He looks me in the eye, for the first time, with the strangest expression, and says, "But nobody ever does drink it all!"

I guess they got what they needed. I didn't have to repeat the test.

Geesh Sandie, I wish I had known that when I had my pre op last week. I'm going to ask about it before surgery. Glad I check up on this site often. So much information out there. Dragonfly, I just had a mini-physical (temp., blood-pressure, ears, heart), answered a million health related questions (repeatedly), spoke w/the nutritionist, pre-registered. No biggie. Write down all the meds you take, both prescribed and over the counter to take with you. Don't forget your insurance card. Good luck. Let us know how it went.

I sure hope they are not doing and UGI since they did not tell me not to eat, my pre op appt is at 2 pm so hope it is a physical exam and interview with anesthesia, blood work and insurance etc. 2 hours sounds like a lot but maybe they show a movie or something, not sure.

Wow, seems we all have had a variety of experiences. I had a pre-op at the hospital which they took blood, chest X-ray and and EKG. I signed my life away. I was there for 2 hours. I also had a pre-op with my dr and the nutritionist. I didn't expect how they did it. There were 6 of us. First the nutritionist told us again about the pre-op diet and the food stages post-op. she took all of our questions. It was great because if you forgot something someone else asked it. Then the dr spoke to us putting the fear of god in us if we strayed from the post-op diets with awful stories! Went over everything answered questions and then he met with us individually. Good luck on this new chapter. I think I made myself crazy with worry before surgery. I hope you have more control over it than I did. Will be thinking of all of you!

me2012, Yes, I do have approval and a scheduled date of 12/4. My doctor is just so strict, but I know I'm worrying too much. You're feeling well just 4 days out?? I'm happy to hear it!! :)

Thanks everyone - a bunch of worrying for no reason (as is usually the case!). Thanks for the heads up on the length though - it was a good 2 hours! Now I'm really all set! :)

dragonfly11 I am going to Brigham and Womens in Boston, have not had the surgery yet but soon! Preop is next week and start my protein drink Friday. What hospital in Providence are you going to? We are having our surgeries very close in dates for sure!

Hi All, I'm starting to get excited! Surgery is at 8:30am tomorrow. Thanks to all of you for being so informative and supportive. It really has helped a lot. See ya'll when I get home.

Our best and sure you will do great. DO let us know when you get home, how many nights at the hospital and how it went and how you are doing!!!

dragonfly, I am so glad you have that part behind you. You're in the homestretch now!

Bamababy, good luck tomorrow! Will be thinking of you!

Hi BamaBaby, My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it. :cool: Tom

Hi again everyone. My hospital is Roger Williams. So glad the pre-op is over and my surgery is in 11 days - whoooo hoooooo! It's really going to happen! I can't wait to hear how you made out, Bamababy - I'm sure it will be great! Thanks again, everyone and hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm full of thanks this year!

Back