• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What's happening to me?

desertgirl

Hi all my wonderful friends out here,
I have had two experiences which were awful. I got really sick. The first time was Friday. It was about 12 noon and we (my husband and I) were on our way to the Huck Finn Jubilee. I was eating a protein bar. I started to feel sick about 20 minutes later. I had to use the bathroom, was nauseated, putting out a downpour of a sweat and just felt very weak. My husband took me home and I slept for a couple of hours. I thought it was dumping syndrome due to the protein bar I ate but then it happened again on Sunday. Again we were on our way to the Jubilee at about 5:00pm. I had eaten breakfast, had on protein drink, drank two bottles of water and I decided to drink my protein drink-I was due. About three quarters through the drink (I am in the car waiting for my husband to change out of church clothes to casual clothes) and I start feeling sick again. I felt very nauseated, and again put out a downpour of sweat. When we got to the park I sat in the shade and about 20 minutes later felt better.

Is this dumping syndrome, dehydration, poor tolerance for food choices? What?

I hope someone out here has had some experience with this. I do not want to go through that again.

Thanks everyone.

Hi Desertgirl, I only have a lapband but I wonder if you were drinking too fast. I haven't experienced those symptoms exactly but I do get drenched in sweat but I can't determine what causes it other than maybe menopause, lol. The only time I get nauseated is when I drink too fast. It happened once and has never happened again because I sip all day. I carry a protein shake or a bottle of water with me all the time.

Ewwwwww....what a thing to have to go through in the summer heat. Although I have only had one minor instance of dumping about one month post surgery and am not an expert it sounds like dumping to me. You showed all the classic symptoms of dumping. Keeping in mind dumping can be caused by eating the wrong foods, too much food or drink, eating too fast, and eating food too high in sugar or fats. Maybe the last protein drink and the last bottle of water were drank too close together for the size of your tiny new pouch and there just wasn't enough room in there. If this continues to happen you should call your surgeon for an appointment.

Sounds like dumping to me & I've had it already. I think dumping can come in different forms for different individuals and circumstances.
Even though you feel like total crap, you have to get the water in afterwards because it really dehydrates you in addition to being a scary circumstance.

Also watch out for the sugar alcohols in the protein bars. I have heard those can really give people a hard time. Good luck.

DesertGirl....don't eat that particular bar. It's not dumping. It's the makeup of the bar. I get that still and it's been over 3 years for me. Pasta does that to me. I fully understand...it's like one minute I am fine, then all I want to do is curl up in a little ball and sleep. And that's exactly what I do. Generally, I only have to lay down for about 30 minutes though. But I have responded this way for so long that I know what will do it to me and I only eat a tiny...and I mean TINY...bit of whatever it is that will do that to me.

My big advice is not to buy that one anymore. Something in it, plain and simple, your body doesn't like. I can't eat protein bars at all. If you can eat bananas, take one along with you. Full of protein. You can munch on it throughout the day. I can't eat a full one at one time, but I don't mind. Eventually I get it in. And the powdered protein shakes...well..they work the best for me. I drink them religiously.

Take care of yourself. Hope this helps a little. I think I rambled.

Letrell

Thanks Letrell, I always tyhought it was dumping when I felt like that, I feel kinda silly now:eek: Although when anything makes me feel like that I stay away, good to hear from you again. :cool: Tom

Tom, I don't do that when I dump. I just have all those same symptoms. Right before I dump my pouch hurts, it gets a bit....painful...then I hear my intestines...I jump and run. that is happening far too often these days. I think I am eating more and straying away from what I know is best...I keep trying things that I end up dumping on...so what's the point? LOL. I dump fast so I don't have any time to absorb any nutrients. Frustrating at times...but ... considering the alternative, I'll figure it out.

Letrell

I just saw your post...after I posted. Do you actually "dump" or just feel that way? When I dump..holy cow...I know it. And afterwards I feel great. LOL. I told my nutritionist when I am normal, fiber is good, no dumping, sometimes I feel icky....so I will either lay off fiber for a few days or eat what I shouldn't so I can dump and clean out my intestines. I love that clean, empty feeling. It's become a comfort of sorts to me. She cracked up when I told her and said, if it works, no worries, just watch it and don't do it all the time...could get me into trouble.

Most of the time I dump but I have learned to stay away from that stuff that does it to me, sometimes I felt good afterward and other times I was sick for about 45 min to an hour afterwards. The last time about two months ago I had one small home made cookie:eek: at a meeting, with a cup of coffee, and within a minute I broke into a cold sweat and my pouch felt yucky but I didn't dump. I still have a cookie once in a while but I am very careful of what kind. Sweets have never been a real problem for me before my WLS I was a starchy carb junky, and beer probobly fell in line with that, after my bout with alcohol (almost killed me I think but definatly made me think I was going crazy) I quit drinkinking and I started getting hooked on surgar free ice cream and I had to cut that out, but a protien shake blended with ice and a half bannana took the the place of those quite well. One of these days I will get this thing down but I am on track again and down 5 lbs from my last doctors appointment. I am just so happy to be under 200 it has been over 20 years I think for me to be that light. :cool: Tom

If that's you in the picture, Hon, you look awesome! Add that to what seems to be one awesome personality and I'd say life must be pretty darn good for you these days!

BTW...Coffee makes me dump. ;) So maybe the coffee plus the sugar. It's the caffeine that does it to me. I can't really have it. I can in tiny bits. Sugar....ick....love to hate it. I do the same with cookies, but I dump immediately. Triggers something I do not like. So I try to stay away. Sometimes I'll grab one and then I wait and wait to see if I'm in trouble. 50/50 chance I'll dump.

Letrell

Back