• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

14 Months Post-Op

WazzuCoug

It's been a bit over 14 months now. I'm still very grateful, I'm still very happy.

I hit what I believe was my lowest point in July right around my 12-month mark. The weight loss slowed down significantly after Month 9, but by that point, I had already reached my goal of being in the "normal" body fat range for my age/sex (18-24%). I decided early on not to have a specific goal weight, but rather, I wanted to have a healthy body fat percentage.

I've gained about 5 lbs since my low point, but it has been stable for about 2 months and my body fat was measured at 19% at my bariatric clinic a couple of weeks ago, although technically, according to the BMI scale I'm just a smidge below "obese." Luckily, no one at my clinic uses BMI other than for the insurance requirements for surgery because it's complete crap as an individual measure of success.

I've definitely had to be very honest with myself and battle stress snacking or boredom eating. I think it helps that I usually choose snacks that are whole plant foods instead of processed/sugary stuff that I might have done in a past life, but I can feel the pull to want to snack more sometimes. It's a little scary to have those thoughts, but overall everything is going well. I continue to stay focused on food choices. I think stress/boredom snacking is my biggest struggle.

Speaking of food choices, I continue to move further toward being 100% plant-based. The only non-plant foods I'm currently eating are greek yogurt and eggs, but even those are significantly less than before since I've been able to eat a bit more plant protein instead. I'm not sure if I'll ever give those two things up completely. I have to say I love the way I eat now though. The food is great, tasty, and enjoyable. I used to be a major fast food eater, and I mean a MAJOR fast food eater, so this is such a 180 from how I used to eat. It is still shocking to me. I don't think I could have done it without the surgery though. It was the catalyst that set all of this in place.

I should probably exercise a bit more now that we are heading into fall/winter. I'm pretty active outdoors during the spring/summer/early fall, but when the shorter days and Oregon rains come, it's not quite as motivating to be outside, but I do plan on doing a lot more outdoor things even in inclement weather this year, but it definitely won't be like the last few months of working on our property and going for hikes and photo trips, etc.

My wife has started the process to get the surgery, she wanted to see how things went with me before she took the steps. Our insurance doesn't have any pre-surgery requirements, so it's just a matter of getting through the clinic requirements of all the pre-surgery meetings, which I think she will have complete in October and early November. I'm not sure how far out they are scheduling surgery, or if there is a hold on them right now, but if there are no delays, I imagine she'll be able to get the surgery sometime around the beginning of the new year. I'm looking forward to supporting her through this and also as a bit of a "refresher" on my progress as I'll probably do the post-surgery steps with her to make it as easy as possible for both of us.

I guess there isn't much of a point here, other than just a rambling update, for what it's worth. It can be cathartic just to get stuff out there, especially to people who "get it."

Like everyone, I have my struggles, but I continue to be extremely motivated and happy with my progress and current maintenance. I'm looking forward to the next year of maintaining what I've accomplished in the first year.

Ryan, I always enjoy your posts. I love hearing about the things you are learning along the way and the changes you've made to your diet. I was thinking of you specifically when I decide to add a veggie based meal to each day for my challenge next month. My program really pushed protein, to the point that they were like "shakes shakes shakes" and "you're not really going to be able to eat vegetables." ?!! That advice has really stopped me from going back to see the nutritionist in my program, as that same advice was still coming 6 months out.

So, and I think you've shared before but I can't seem to find it, I would love to see a sample day of what you eat .. just for ideas. I know you love carrots and hummus, I am a fan myself. lol But what do you eat for your main meals that are veggie based?

I am glad that your wife is starting to go through the program. My husband just finished month 2 of his 6 month requirement. Even then, they think he'll probably have surgery in March. I'm also looking forward to the boost of going through those early months vicariously. He does not like cottage cheese or yogurt or eggs, so all the things they pushed on me aren't going to work for him. And since so many people have problems early on with meat, I could really use some plant based protein ideas. Of course, I will be using google as well .. but who doesn't like to get recommendations from someone they know and respect?

Congrats on your 14 months. You've done an amazing job and have truly done it the right way.

I also love all the information you pass along. It is obvious that you do your research. The trial you were in was incredible. I think it is great you are going to be able to share with your loved one. May your wife’s journey be as enlightening as yours has been. Knows the outdoors thing, I have same issues when the weather changes and it is not as fun out doors. Be fun stay safe.

I would love to see a sample day of what you eat .. just for ideas. I could really use some plant based protein ideas.

Here is a typical day for me:

• Breakfast - Rye Bread w/avacado and Saurkraut (or Kimchi) and w/an egg on top - 16.9g protein
    • I realize the egg isn't plant-based, it is one of my exceptions.
  • Snack - 6oz PB2 Protein Powder Chia/Hemp Seed/Soy Milk Pudding - 23.7g Protein
  • Lunch - Qunioa "fried rice" w/tofu - 10g protein
  • Snack - Greek Yogurt - 15g protein
    • Also, not vegetarian/vegan but it is my other exception to plant-based
  • Dinner - Vegetarian Chili w/beans/lentils and fake meat topped with plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream - 18g protein
This is over 80g protein, which is not quite what I need on a daily basis, but close. I don't get too anal about it day to day. Some days I'm well over 100, just depending on how I put things together. I will add unflavored protein to things to boost them up when necessary, or I might have a protein bar somewhere instead of a full meal.

I will sprinkle in chia seeds, hemp seeds, nuts, nutritional yeast, and such to boost protein to almost any meal

I don't really care for shakes, so I avoid them as much as possible.

I can eat 3/4 to 1 cup of food at a meal. That might not be possible for everyone with a sleeve or probably not with the bypass. So it certainly can be more difficult to get enough protein on a vegetarian/vegan menu. Adding in chia seeds, nutritional yeast and such can make a difference, or something like a 1/3c of dry roasted edamame has 14g of protein.

I try to combine the highest protein-containing veggies into meals to maximize the potential of each serving
  • Edamame
  • Lentils
  • Pinto Beans
  • Chickpeas
  • many other beans
  • Quinoa
  • Wild Rice
  • Brown Rice
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Chia Seeds
  • Hemp Seeds
  • Nutritional Yeast
  • Asparagus
  • Broccoli
  • Nuts
  • Avacado
  • occasional fake meats and mycoprotein
The bottom line is I think if you are doing this post-surgery you have to be somewhat flexible to either include some non-plant-based protein items, or you need to supplement with plant-based protein shakes/powders/bars. Our stomachs only hold so much, which is why I try to combine the highest protein-containing veggies in most of my meals.

Last edited:
Thanks for including this list of high protein nonmeats. I learn something of value from almost all of your posts and I really appreciate that.

I'm glad you've done so well so far, and I'm sure your wife already has benefitted from the lifestyle changes you've already made. Good luck to her as she completes the process.

Back