• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

26 years later!

It seems like a dream. I had my surgery at the very beginning ...by the doctor who first started the procedure. I really don’t think about it but I’m having problems with severe anemia.. I am going to see a hematologists. I feel l’m the lucky one. I lost all the weight I wanted and have kept it off..I went from 350 to 135. Has anyone else had a transfusion? It sounds scary. I go in three weeks. Anyone else had one.

It seems like a dream. I had my surgery at the very beginning ...by the doctor who first started the procedure. I really don’t think about it but I’m having problems with severe anemia.. I am going to see a hematologists. I feel l’m the lucky one. I lost all the weight I wanted and have kept it off..I went from 350 to 135. Has anyone else had a transfusion? It sounds scary. I go in three weeks. Anyone else had one.
Hi! I had my first iron infusion today. I am 14 years out. It went well not scary at all. I have been struggling with anemia for a long time now and had to fight to get a referral to a hematologist. It took 5 minutes for the appointment because my levels were so bad she didn’t question what I needed done. AND she said I need to go to a gynecologist because “you can fill the bucket, but if there is a hole in the bottom, it will do no good!” My gp’s nurse gave me a hard time about that referral. So anyhow, heads up, you got this! Congratulations on keeping the weight off!

I am 20 years out from Roux En Y and have had three iron infusions in the last four years. My ferritin (iron storage) goes down to literally 1 or 2 about every 15-18 months. When I requested a Ferritin test down, I was told your hemoglobin is fine so ferritin doesn't make a difference. Believe me - it does!!!

Back