• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 days post-op sleeve

Badgy

Hey guys! I made it. Scooch over and make room on that loser's bench! :)

No pain since first day. None. Not even taking Tylenol let alone the Oxy they kept offering. I feel fabulous! I'm really pretty hungry so I'm doing 4 oz fulls every 2-3 hours. No probs getting water in, I'm a big water drinker tho.

Had to take a Dulcolax today, but once that kicked in, no more abdominal cramps and gas. Hadn't moved since Monday. Phew.

Starting weight: 245
Surgery weight: 224
Left hospital: 222
Today: 219

I'm on my way ~~~~~~!

I wasn't at all, but a lot of people here have said they were starving. I had major surgery so I felt very groggy and I slept a lot. I remember standing in the kitchen, making bouillon and sipping with my tiny little baby spoon and feeling full instantly. I'm so glad you're on this side of life now. Watching your journey since you arrived, I thought you might never get here!

I'm soooooo hungry! Is this normal?
A lot of people say their hunger vanished once they had surgery but not everyone. I'm one of those who still gets hungry, but it takes little to satisfy that hunger which is a good thing! And in the beginning you can eat (or I should say drink) so little that it is not surprising that you feel hungry again. Just make sure it is stomach hunger and not head hunger as you go along in this journey. I know I have to remind myself to check that I'm not bored or stressed or anything else that might cause the head hunger. And if it is head hunger, I try to distract myself from it or just drink more water.

I'm soooooo hungry! Is this normal?
Totally normal for some people, but it's relative. I used to question if they actually removed any of my stomach, but when you really start tracking things you see how much less you are eating and how the hunger is there, but it is usually a bit different. I would also say, at least what I experienced after the VSG was I had more hunger issues early on than I do now. It also got better once I got to the regular food phase. I think some of that is part of your body adjusting to what it used to expect and what it's normal routine was before surgery. That's just a theory.

Don't worry about it. Drink more when you feel hungry, regardless of how much you already had to drink, and if you are still hungry have snack (liquid if still in that phase, etc.)

I had a fellow sleeved friend tell me she could only sip 1-2 oz of water at a time at first. I can full-on gulp.

Another girl in group said she got tuna pureed first day after surgery in the hospital. I guess every doctor is different as is every body.

Hey guys! I made it. Scooch over and make room on that loser's bench! :)

No pain since first day. None. Not even taking Tylenol let alone the Oxy they kept offering. I feel fabulous! I'm really pretty hungry so I'm doing 4 oz fulls every 2-3 hours. No probs getting water in, I'm a big water drinker tho.

Had to take a Dulcolax today, but once that kicked in, no more abdominal cramps and gas. Hadn't moved since Monday. Phew.

Starting weight: 245
Surgery weight: 224
Left hospital: 222
Today: 219

I'm on my way ~~~~~~!
Congratulations

Back