• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 yrs in and realky struggleing

Teeny

I resigned in to this site.... I started out 5 years ago at 231 and was down to only 154. I was walking every day. 4 years in I fell and hurt my knee and was in a wheel chair for 3 months. Have not walked on regulr basis since. I have now put on 25 lbs and getting extremely discouraged. I am only 4' 11" tall so I am still obese, which doesn;t help. I am still drinking my protein shake every morning, and I can still only eat so much, but I am eating a lot of crap, so I know what to do, but need support. I was so successful before and now it is difficult to talk to friends or my spouse about this. I am also 70 years old now and the discouragement is really starting to get to me. I am hoping there is someeone out there with similar circumstances. Thanks for listening to me and letting me vent.

I am with you Teeny. I had my surgery in 2015 with a start weight of 232, got down to 128 and now my current weight is 153. I am really bummed out that I gained it back. I have tried to go back to the preop diet as well as the post op diet but find myself hungry. My husband tells me that I am more active now so that is why I am more hungry. I still have protein bars and shakes incorporated into my diet. Teeny you can do it. Keep focused on what Dogs and Cats said about wanting a better life through the surgery. I have scheduled an appointment with my bariatric surgeon so she can kick me in my butt to get back to basics. I need accountability.

I resigned in to this site.... I started out 5 years ago at 231 and was down to only 154. I was walking every day. 4 years in I fell and hurt my knee and was in a wheel chair for 3 months. Have not walked on regulr basis since. I have now put on 25 lbs and getting extremely discouraged. I am only 4' 11" tall so I am still obese, which doesn;t help. I am still drinking my protein shake every morning, and I can still only eat so much, but I am eating a lot of crap, so I know what to do, but need support. I was so successful before and now it is difficult to talk to friends or my spouse about this. I am also 70 years old now and the discouragement is really starting to get to me. I am hoping there is someeone out there with similar circumstances. Thanks for listening to me and letting me vent.
Hi Teeny, I can relate. My sleeve was done 7/15, started at 220 (am also 4’11”), lost 100 lbs the first year and felt great. Then had a series of events, emotional/physical/financial and then the holidays hit... and I started a binge-fast cycle that escalated into an eating disorder. I’ve been so disgusted and disappointed with myself for every pound that I’ve regained. I was treated at an eating disorders clinic, and they understood my dysfunctional relationship with food, but the only thing that has helped me curb my binging pattern has been a prescription for a higher dose of bupropion. Gaining weight makes me panic because at 220 lbs I was on a LOT of meds for asthma and back pain from spinal surgeries when I was young. When I lost the weight I stopped needing almost all of those meds, and was able to be active again. I’m 55 now, and I have a very physical job - so I’m really scared I won’t be able to work if my back pain and asthma come back with the weight. I’d like to offer you my support to get healthier as I am trying to do the same. I know how hard it is!

We are here for u. Even though i am not that far out. U have done good but you need to get back on track with the diet. Only u can push your self to it. No one else. I hope it gets better and if u need to vent we can only suggest how to help

Back