• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A word about life insurance after surgery...

Cyxelsid

Hey all, just thought I would share a recent experience with all of you that had VGS surgery. I had my VGS in January 2020, and I lostv125 lbs. I recently became self-employed and for the first time in my life I had to buy my own life insurance. I always had it through my employers.

What I found was that a lot of insurance companies would not sell me a policy because I was within 5 years of having my surgery. Finally, I found a company through Select Quote(SelectQuote | Get a Free Insurance Quote) called Protective Life (Protective Life | Affordable Life Insurance & Annuities), who was willing to underwrite my policy. However, my history of sleep apnea was a factor that significantly raised my premiums. I have a $600k policy, and was quoted $132 per month for 10 years.

I went to my Doctor and had a sleep study ordered, and as we thought, after my weightloss, the sleep apnea diagnosis was cleared! When I sent the sleep study report to Protective Life, they reduced my rate to $94/month for 10 years!

Now, Portectice is only giving me credit forn1/2 of the weight that I lost (125 lbs / 2 = 62.5), because so many people put the weight back on. However, they said that if I keep my weight off for another year, they will re-rate me again for the full amount of my weight loss!

My ultimate goal is to get a 20 year term policy at a reasonable rate. It will take more work to get there, but I will make it!

For conparison purposes... I am a 47 year old, non-smoking, male, in OK health (except the weight).

Just thought you all might find this helpful!

Hey all, just thought I would share a recent experience with all of you that had VGS surgery. I had my VGS in January 2020, and I lostv125 lbs. I recently became self-employed and for the first time in my life I had to buy my own life insurance. I always had it through my employers.

What I found was that a lot of insurance companies would not sell me a policy because I was within 5 years of having my surgery. Finally, I found a company through Select Quote(SelectQuote | Get a Free Insurance Quote) called Protective Life (Protective Life | Affordable Life Insurance & Annuities), who was willing to underwrite my policy. However, my history of sleep apnea was a factor that significantly raised my premiums. I have a $600k policy, and was quoted $132 per month for 10 years.

I went to my Doctor and had a sleep study ordered, and as we thought, after my weightloss, the sleep apnea diagnosis was cleared! When I sent the sleep study report to Protective Life, they reduced my rate to $94/month for 10 years!

Now, Portectice is only giving me credit forn1/2 of the weight that I lost (125 lbs / 2 = 62.5), because so many people put the weight back on. However, they said that if I keep my weight off for another year, they will re-rate me again for the full amount of my weight loss!

My ultimate goal is to get a 20 year term policy at a reasonable rate. It will take more work to get there, but I will make it!

For conparison purposes... I am a 47 year old, non-smoking, male, in OK health (except the weight).

Message me - I can help you with that.

You should ALWAYS go through a licensed insurance advisor to get coverage. There are many, many options available, most of which will not run their products thru a website because it is important to understand what you are purchasing and what is actually available to you. It is not as cut and dry as people would like to believe.

Back