• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Advice needed!

I had the Gastric Bypass in 2020. I will be 3 years post op in November. Has anyone had an issues with having bowel movements? This has become an issue for me over the last 6 months roughly. I drink PLENTY of water and when I eat I don't just eat junk, but it's challenging for me to eat full meals, i maybe do 2 full meals and then I graze 3-4 times. Any suggestions or recommendations for relief would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Hello. I had the bypass in 2020 as well. Are you getting enough fiber? Sometimes we focus so much on protein we forget fiber is also important. I eat oatmeal every morning, and take Metamucil to help with my fiber intake.

I have shared my overnight oatmeal aka refrigerator oats recipe on this site. Or you can just look some up online. Since they use Greek yogurt and milk to soften the oats overnight, they have quite a bit of protein. (You can use a protein shake instead of milk for even more)

Look up high fiber foods. Add them slowly so your body has time to adjust.

Hello. I had the bypass in 2020 as well. Are you getting enough fiber? Sometimes we focus so much on protein we forget fiber is also important. I eat oatmeal every morning, and take Metamucil to help with my fiber intake.

I have shared my overnight oatmeal aka refrigerator oats recipe on this site. Or you can just look some up online. Since they use Greek yogurt and milk to soften the oats overnight, they have quite a bit of protein. (You can use a protein shake instead of milk for even more)

Look up high fiber foods. Add them slowly so your body has time to adjust.
Thank you so much! I will definitely try the Metamucil! My mom seems to think it may be somewhat of a fiber issue. I do not do well with milk since my surgery, unless it's mixed into something. I love oatmeal so I can definitely give that a try as well. If you wouldn't mind to share your oat recipe on the thread I would love to give it a try!

Also,Tracey shared the nutritional value in this thread. Keep in mind it makes approx 4 servings.

fiber lax, followed by 8 ounces of water. just sit down and drink the fiber lax which you've made into a kind of pudding, then move it down with a glass of water. I can't drink a big glass of fiber lax. It's like fingernails on a blackboard to me. But I can put a scoop in a rocks glass, mix in a few tablespoons of water, then shoot it down and chase it with water over the next hour or so.

Back