• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Am I doing The Right Thing?

Elbridge

So I have a gastric sleeve surgery date on 11/18/19. My PCP started me on a medically supervised weight loss plan in June. I've gone from 365 to 339 lbs. I've never considered myself the typical obese personality. I'm not a binge eater and the doctor says it is changes in my metabolism that has contributed to the weight gain. I'm encouraged with how the Lose It! app has helped me since June. I'm confused as to if I should do this surgery and would like feedback.

So I have a gastric sleeve surgery date on 11/18/19. My PCP started me on a medically supervised weight loss plan in June. I've gone from 365 to 339 lbs. I've never considered myself the typical obese personality. I'm not a binge eater and the doctor says it is changes in my metabolism that has contributed to the weight gain. I'm encouraged with how the Lose It! app has helped me since June. I'm confused as to if I should do this surgery and would like feedback.
Hi Elbridge & welcome. Congratulations on your weight loss! :)

Surgery is definitely a life-changing move. It's a great tool if you're certain you're ready to commit to a new lifestyle but if you have serious doubts, you should probably talk to your surgeon about pushing out your date a few months. That way you can continue with your current program and revisit the decision in say Feb or March. I'm sure people do that kind of thing frequently. Of course, you could always cancel but if you wind up deciding that you want the surgery after all, you may be required to start the process all over.

With the holidays and winter ahead, it's probably the hardest time to loose weight so I think it's a perfect time to put yourself to the test. If you continue to loose and are happy with your progress, that's wonderful. If you loose steam or have trouble sticking with your program, you still have the decision about surgery ahead.

On a personal note, I myself had cancelled surgery twice. Both times, I did so well on the pre-op diet that I lost massive amounts of weight. Unfortunately, both times I ended up loosing steam right before hitting goal weight and proceeded to regain more than I'd lost, quickly. My decision to follow through this time wasn't to loose the weight (can do that on my own), it was to have a tool to keep it off. Just something to chew on.

Hi Elbridge & welcome. Congratulations on your weight loss! :)

Surgery is definitely a life-changing move. It's a great tool if you're certain you're ready to commit to a new lifestyle but if you have serious doubts, you should probably talk to your surgeon about pushing out your date a few months. That way you can continue with your current program and revisit the decision in say Feb or March. I'm sure people do that kind of thing frequently. Of course, you could always cancel but if you wind up deciding that you want the surgery after all, you may be required to start the process all over.

With the holidays and winter ahead, it's probably the hardest time to loose weight so I think it's a perfect time to put yourself to the test. If you continue to loose and are happy with your progress, that's wonderful. If you loose steam or have trouble sticking with your program, you still have the decision about surgery ahead.

On a personal note, I myself had cancelled surgery twice. Both times, I did so well on the pre-op diet that I lost massive amounts of weight. Unfortunately, both times I ended up loosing steam right before hitting goal weight and proceeded to regain more than I'd lost, quickly. My decision to follow through this time wasn't to loose the weight (can do that on my own), it was to have a tool to keep it off. Just something to chew on.

Thanks for your reply! This is the second time I've been a bariatric surgery candidate. I was actually on the operating gurney when the surgeon backed out because my cardiologist did not fill out the forms correctly. But that time, I did not have a medically supervised weight loss program. My PCP steered me to the Lose It! app and it has helped a lot. Your advise to talk to my surgeon is excellent. Of course he could cancel me! I'm pretty confident that I can go on with the weight loss program. Since June, I have not once gone over the daily budget (calories/carbs) and I'm really amazed. I'll take your advice and talk to the surgeon.

Back