• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

And now the fight against cancer.

Fosgate

I had my Duodenal Switch with Roux En Y procedure coming up on 2 years now in June. Down from 507lbs to 201 (I'm 6'7). Fought with the VA since Dec over kidney stones and getting my abdominal hernia repaired by my Bariatric (General Surgeon) surgeon at the local hospital. Got CT Scan on 2/27 and had a surgery date of 3/10 but the week before I had a prerequisite to have a Colonoscopy prior since I'm going on 50 this summer. Sure enough, Endo Dr noticed inflammation in my colon near my appendix. Took several biopsies and it was confirmed a few days later as cancer. So instead of hernia repair with surgical mesh, and tummy tuck Instead I have that procedure cancelled. This Monday going in and going to have a section of my colon and lymphatic system around it removed. He is going to go in through the hernia laparoscopically and then do a tissue repair on the way out and take the surgical mesh out from an old umbilical hernia repair (Leaving me with no belly button). He'll take the excess skin out from the area as well. Not the best overall solution but at least I wont have to wait again to get the hernia repaired. He expects it will last a couple years and then I'll need mesh and redo it. But they don't want mesh there until well after I pass with Oncology to be cancer free. He was disappointed saying part of the reason he wanted the intestinal bypass was in part to reduce the colon cancer risk due to no gallbladder and high rate of colon cancer in men.

In the words of the Endo Dr I had in Sturgis SD, she said. "Bummer news dude, but on the bright side it looks like we caught it super early." And it could be worse. I had one grandmother die in 1980 of Pancreatic cancer and there was nothing they could do to treat back then other than just make her comfortable. My other grandmother died of a cancerous growth that grew like a doughnut around her intestine and spread to other systems that they could not operate on her in 1990.

On another bright side one of my Uncles went through colon cancer. He and my aunt were very comforting and reassuring. Perhaps a little much. They were like, "Your not eating anything you don't process yourself from grain or raw cut of meat to your mouth." and for some reason they don't think I own any cookware. Fact is I have just been using a decent set of All Clad and Henckle cutlery, Traeger Smoker and not much else for gadgets etc. So far what has showed up at my door is:
Ninja Foodie
Ninja Speedie
Ninja Blender x2 (one is a nutro)
Ninja XL 2 basket air fryer
Ninja Waffle Maker
Ninja Pro Plus Food Processor
Ninja Toaster
Kitchenaid Artisan 5qt mixer, exrtra ceramic bowl and all the attachments (meat grinder, ice shaver, grain miller, pasta extruder, sifter and scale etc)
Kitchenaid Pro 7qt Mixer
Kitchenaid 9 speed hand mixer
Commercial cart to store the mixers on in another room
All Clad Pot and pan set (set I have always wanted)
Wustoff Custom cutlery set (24 blades and block) (set I have always wanted)
Blackstone 22 Adventure grill and stand and a bunch of accessories for it)
Cast Iron Tortilla Press
Bakeware- New muffin pans, bread pans, baguette pans, 8x8, cassarole dishes etc
Taco Tuesday taco kit
24 hook pot and pan hanger
2 granite Molcjete (Mortar and Pestil) both granite, she got me two to serve Guac and salsa at the same time.

There's more that I have not mentioned. It's overwhelming and while my aunt and I have been super cool since she used to baby sit me. I never expected her to do this for me. They used the reasoning that they have stayed in my Airbnb so many times for free and they love coming to visit, it's their way of paying it back. I almost want to tell her it's too much (it really is) but I know it would crush her and I don't want to do that to the coolest uncle and aunt in the world.

Point is, don't forget about those exams or the people around you that are there for you.

Me and my wife earlier this winter.

Attachments

• IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6969.jpg
    IMG_6969.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7069.jpg
    IMG_7069.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7072.jpg
    IMG_7072.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
In the words of the Endo Dr I had in Sturgis SD, she said. "Bummer news dude, but on the bright side it looks like we caught it super early."
Fosgate, I'm so sorry to hear of your multiple travails and disappointments! I've always enjoyed your posts here and hope you'll keep us posted as your journey continues. You have a great attitude and obviously a great love of life. :cool:

Best of luck on your surgeries. They have come a long way in treatment for cancer, so take it as it goes. My uncle has been back and forth worth kidney cancer for almost 20 years. 8 years ago, they told him he had 6 months to a year. He is still going strong! So, keep your spirits up and keep on trucking ! Or snowmobile-ing!! Lol you look great btw!

Got out of the hospital a little over a week ago. They did all 3 procedures. Colon section removal of the appendix area, abdominal hernia repair with mesh and took my belly skin (and belly button). They took 47 lymph nodes around the area along with a large tumor. Everything was really clean so they proceeded with the other two procedures. 6 nodes tested positive for cancer out of the 47 taken. They think they got it all but will need to go through chemo to make sure.

first few days I could not sit or stand without passing out. My iron absorption was always low since bariatric surgery. So at that point with low iron and hemoglobin I took 3 blood transfusions and 3 bags of iron supplement drip. Wow! That got me wired to sleep only 4 hours a night and I was walking 2 miles worth of the ward by the time my bowels got moving for me to leave. Been tired this week as the vertical incision running from my belt line to sternum just feels like I did sit-ups all day.

in reflection. I think Bariatric saved my life yet again. If I had not needed the hernia and belly skin removal with a big sheet of surgical mesh demanding. Colonoscopy be done first, I would not have known before it was too late. Being stage 3 and stage 4 being inoperable it’s very close. Not saying the fight is over. I still need to survive chemo.

Oh, Fosgate! What fresh hell is this? Wow does not express my shock and amazement.

I'm so glad all that surgery was so productive, but sure, you still have a ways to go and there are no guarantees, even for someone in perfect health who's height/weight-proportional.

You have my fondest wishes as you go forward.

Back