• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bariatric surgery after age 60

D Louis

Does anyone have recent information about bariatric surgery after age 60? I am 68 and six-days post-op after gastric sleeve surgery. I think I am doing okay although I feel weak and wiped out probably because of the limited number of calories I am consuming. I cannot tolerate the protein water which makes me nauseous and it's too sweet. I just keep telling myself that I only have one more day of this then I can transition to full liquids. I'm hoping that the unflavored protein powder I ordered is actually unflavored so I can add it to creamed soups. I was told that I had a large hiatal hernia which was repaired. The esophageal spams have been severe but are getting better daily. Not needing a pain pill last night was a huge gain. I really appreciate the posts I have read from others who have had gastric surgery - they are so helpful.

Congratulations, on your recent life changing choice. I'm 52 and I certainly understand the low energy feeling from very low calories. I had gastric bypass about 100 days ago and everything has been a huge adjustment. From eating to changing my thinking. Sounds like your doctor at least gave you pain meds, I only got Tylenol and Gabapentin.
Thank goodness for sugar free popsicles

Sounds like we're doing this together ,D Louis ! I'm 68 ,just had mine done and also a hiatal hernia repair. I'm expecting to feel weak . I'm letting my body slack off for awhile ,before I crack the whip and maybe walk alittle bit for exercise. I realize I'll never have the energy that younger people do , so rather than worry about it , I'm going to happy at what I can do.

Hello and welcome. Have you tried adding fresh herbs to your protein waters? I don't think I would've made it without adding basil to lemonade flavored protein water. You can also add a squeeze of fresh lime, lemon, grapefruit juice to take away some of the sweetness. Good luck.

Does anyone have recent information about bariatric surgery after age 60? I am 68 and six-days post-op after gastric sleeve surgery. I think I am doing okay although I feel weak and wiped out probably because of the limited number of calories I am consuming. I cannot tolerate the protein water which makes me nauseous and it's too sweet. I just keep telling myself that I only have one more day of this then I can transition to full liquids. I'm hoping that the unflavored protein powder I ordered is actually unflavored so I can add it to creamed soups. I was told that I had a large hiatal hernia which was repaired. The esophageal spams have been severe but are getting better daily. Not needing a pain pill last night was a huge gain. I really appreciate the posts I have read from others who have had gastric surgery - they are so helpful.
Find a protein drink you like and can tolerate, you need 60 to 90 grams of protein every day. Isopure is a good protein powder you can add to sugar free oat milk or yes to soups like cream of chicken, mushroom ,tomato or cheddar soup . Premier protein is a good shake they sell at grocery stores , also comes in powder form, but the premade 6 ounce shake is tastier. Also sugar free jello or pudding tea settles the stomach. Sugar free popsicles and recently I have been adding a sugar free chocolate as a treat. As far as feeling tired that’s normal, I am 63. Try to get back in your routine. I wash one car, I try to garden for about 20 minutes, then I shower after and hit the rack. A slow , measured increase in your activities will increase your energy over time.

Find a protein drink you like and can tolerate, you need 60 to 90 grams of protein every day. Isopure is a good protein powder you can add to sugar free oat milk or yes to soups like cream of chicken, mushroom ,tomato or cheddar soup . Premier protein is a good shake they sell at grocery stores , also comes in powder form, but the premade 6 ounce shake is tastier. Also sugar free jello or pudding tea settles the stomach. Sugar free popsicles and recently I have been adding a sugar free chocolate as a treat. As far as feeling tired that’s normal, I am 63. Try to get back in your routine. I wash one car, I try to garden for about 20 minutes, then I shower after and hit the rack. A slow , measured increase in your activities will increase your energy over time.
Also for your esophagus spasms they should have given you pantaprozole it helps cost the esophagus and crest extra lubrication in there

Back