• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Can I Do This?

I finally have the consultation with the surgeon set for Dec. 29th. I started the process in August and have met each of their requirements, however I'm still really nervous about having the surgery. In the past, with various diets, I've lost 50 lbs. or so and then find myself self-sabotaging. With this surgery, I don't dare. I contacted a previous therapist and told her what I was planning but haven't heard back from her. (She may be on vacation.) How did you all get into the proper mindset? I have had chronic pain since 1977, so the thought of more pain, weakness, etc. doesn't thrill me. But the thought of dying from obesity and the problems it causes doesn't thrill me either. Are there any other's out there who are around 68 planning to have the surgery?

HI, Kelso. I can and do wholeheartedly recommend WLS .. for anyone of any age. I was 50 when I had my surgery, so a bit younger. However, I know several people on this site who are around your age that have had the surgery and are very happy with the results. Weight loss has so many health benefits, you are likely to be in less pain, if only because 1lb lost is 4lbs of pressure off your knees.

As for the mindset, once you decide to do it and eat healthier, you have to do it. Every day is a decision, and you have to choose YOU. The best thing about the surgery, imho, is the chance to reset your goals and lifestyle. You will not be hungry, or certainly not as hungry, for quite a while. You cannot eat huge amounts of food. It gives you the opportunity to make changes without the constant "I'm starving!" message your body sends you when you're not eating.

You deserve a longer, healthier and happier life.

Hi Kelso and welcome to the group. I was 59 in July when I had my RNY surgery. Best decision ever. I was fortunate to have had minimal pain after the surgery, off the lortabs and taking tylenol only after the 4th day.

Many of my back and leg pains have eased, and I've lost close to 60 lbs. As Missy said, it is so much easier to lose weight not feeling that constant hunger for the 1st few months. I think you would be so very happy with the results, and you likely will experience a rapid improvement in your quality of life. Good luck in your journey forward.

Hi Kelso, I was 2 months short of my 68th birthday when I was sleeved. Happy I did it, even though I was self-pay. Post-op I had minimal pain (controlled with OTC Tylenol), no nausea whatsoever, and smooth progression through the food stages. I am about 10-15 lbs from my desired weight, and am in a big stall now, but if I never lost another pound it would be manageable! Pre-op, my knees were starting to be painful going up stairs. After the first 15 lb. or so loss my knees were fine. You can do this!

Hi Kelso, welcome to the group. I was 66 when I had the surgery. I can do so much more now without carrying all that extra weight. As we age most of us slow down anyway, but when you have extra weight it can lead to immobility issues which was what I had. I've gone from using my handicap permit and a cane to parking at the far end of the parking lot with no cane to assist me.

Surgery of any kind can be scary. You are not alone and we will support you every step of the way. Good luck!

Hi Kelso, it seems to me that since you have a consultation scheduled - you're already in the proper mindset. I'll be 2 years post-op 01/22/2022. I had gastric bypass. My biggest regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Remember the surgery is a TOOL - not a cure. As with any tools you have to use them. Consider it a jumping off point.

Obviously - if we had/or going to have WLS we over eat - for whatever reasons. For me I had to look at what I was eating - when I was eating it and the amount I was eating. Figuring those things out helped me tremendously. I bought a journal 7/2019 - the start of my WLS journey - and I wrote in in every single day. I still write in it and its been 2 years since my WLS. It still helps me today. Find something that connects you with your eating issues and use it to help you on this amazingly awesome life altering journey!

Hi Kelso, it seems to me that since you have a consultation scheduled - you're already in the proper mindset. I'll be 2 years post-op 01/22/2022. I had gastric bypass. My biggest regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Remember the surgery is a TOOL - not a cure. As with any tools you have to use them. Consider it a jumping off point.

Obviously - if we had/or going to have WLS we over eat - for whatever reasons. For me I had to look at what I was eating - when I was eating it and the amount I was eating. Figuring those things out helped me tremendously. I bought a journal 7/2019 - the start of my WLS journey - and I wrote in in every single day. I still write in it and its been 2 years since my WLS. It still helps me today. Find something that connects you with your eating issues and use it to help you on this amazingly awesome life altering journey!

this is good advice! I document my eating via an app but I find it so hard for me to do!

Back