• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Conflicting Diet Recommendations

Momof2

I am 2 1/2 yrs post op RNY. Just had emergency cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal) one week ago. Post-op RNY, my nutritionist said no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes, which I can understand due to the lack of nutrient value. However, post-op GBR, I've seen diet recommendations to eat whole wheat toast or rice. Maybe this is to absorb some of the fats that the gallbladder is no longer there to dilute? I've gained 40 pounds in the last 18 months and would rather lose it than gain more. Does anyone have recommendations for what to eat after BOTH of these surgeries?

I am 2 1/2 yrs post op RNY. Just had emergency cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal) one week ago. Post-op RNY, my nutritionist said no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes, which I can understand due to the lack of nutrient value. However, post-op GBR, I've seen diet recommendations to eat whole wheat toast or rice. Maybe this is to absorb some of the fats that the gallbladder is no longer there to dilute? I've gained 40 pounds in the last 18 months and would rather lose it than gain more. Does anyone have recommendations for what to eat after BOTH of these surgeries?
Hi there and welcome. I had an emergency gallbladder removal about 6 months prior to my RNY. I still follow a high-protein, low carb diet. Greasy and high fat foods will cause distress early on after your gallbladder is removed (think fast food, pizza, etc). As long as you keep those to a minimum, you should be fine.

Welcome to our group. :) I hope you get some good suggestions.

I had rny and gallbladder removal at the same time. Since I was on a restricted diet, 2 weeks liquid, 3 weeks pureed, 3 weeks soft, my diet was probably on the limited side. Things I ate were sf pudding, protein shakes, tuna, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, and yogurt. I'm 3 months post-op now and on regular diet. I haven't had any problems with eating starches but I thought I was supposed to avoid them. Yesterday I had 3 month check-in and nutritionist said to eat one starch a day and make sure to pair it with a protein. Hope it helps!

Back