• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

COVID uptick postponing surgery

So my surgery is being delayed because of the increase in COVID cases. I’m handling the news well. I’ve been going through so much of the info on here and I’m making a game plan. I’ve decided why wait post op to begin eating those smaller portions ‍♀️ I have all the recommended tools: 4 oz containers, bariatric utensils (I could have purchased toddler size but it was the same cost), mini blender, mesh strainer, protein water, unflavored whey protein isolate, and vitamins. I read on here to get an abdominal binder, which I ordered and will be here Monday. I am goal planning activity like walking total mileage goal of 100 miles each month beginning February. I scheduled spinning classes twice a week ( love that class!) and continue working with my personal trainer twice a week. He confessed that since I was his first blind client, he’s been lenient and I actually said, I’m paying you for your expertise and time, I’ll let you know if my sight is an issue. I was trying to be playful/serious. He ended up saying my next 4 sessions are free. I’m down for that! My only downfall…kombucha. I gave up carbonated drinks except that. My nutritionist said after surgery I have to wait at least 6 months before I can drink it again but only 2oz max. She said it has wonderful health benefits it’s just the sugar. I know it tastes like fizzy flavored sauerkraut juice, but it’s SOOOO YUMMY . Anyway, I guess I what I’m getting at is that I still feel good. I’m approved and I will take this time to stay driven and continue to learn. Those of you who were delayed because of COVID, what were your strategies to stay motivated. And how long was your wait from when you were told of the delay until surgery? I know that is not definitely the same, just getting a ballpark idea. Any other suggestions on what I maybe neglecting to do is welcomed! Thank you

I was schedule for surgery last week of March in 2020. I was postponed until June 22nd. I'll be honest, I did not handle it as well as I could have. Covid had really just become a thing, we were on lockdown, my job closed and I was laid off. All the uncertainty got to me, and I gained 10lbs back. My surgeon will not operate if you gain during the process. So, when I got the call that he was ready to schedule, I was on a mission to lose the 10. So, my advice is DON'T DO THAT! lol

Actually, it sounds like you are handling it really well and have a good plan in place.

I was schedule for surgery last week of March in 2020. I was postponed until June 22nd. I'll be honest, I did not handle it as well as I could have. Covid had really just become a thing, we were on lockdown, my job closed and I was laid off. All the uncertainty got to me, and I gained 10lbs back. My surgeon will not operate if you gain during the process. So, when I got the call that he was ready to schedule, I was on a mission to lose the 10. So, my advice is DON'T DO THAT! lol

Actually, it sounds like you are handling it really well and have a good plan in place.
Thank you. Honestly if I had not been searching the forums and looking at tips and best practices, I’d be a little lost and annoyed. But I realized I need to start tackling some of the things I may struggle with, comfort eating. Right now, I’m on a mission, but things will get rough and I need to practice good/positive coping skills now. Walking and yoga will have to do. But to be honest, I was happy when I read your husband’s surgery was scheduled. Then there was another member scheduled mid February, then another, and I’m like “REALLY”! But it is probably for the best. Also to help combat weight gain I scheduled all those activities. Not in hopes of losing weight but the way my mind works, I’m not paying money for spin classes and a trainer just to undue my progress. The chocolate malt I wanted would have put me in a calorie surplus despite my session the day I learned about the postponing.

So my surgery is being delayed because of the increase in COVID cases. I’m handling the news well. I’ve been going through so much of the info on here and I’m making a game plan. I’ve decided why wait post op to begin eating those smaller portions ‍♀ I have all the recommended tools: 4 oz containers, bariatric utensils (I could have purchased toddler size but it was the same cost), mini blender, mesh strainer, protein water, unflavored whey protein isolate, and vitamins. I read on here to get an abdominal binder, which I ordered and will be here Monday. I am goal planning activity like walking total mileage goal of 100 miles each month beginning February. I scheduled spinning classes twice a week ( love that class!) and continue working with my personal trainer twice a week. He confessed that since I was his first blind client, he’s been lenient and I actually said, I’m paying you for your expertise and time, I’ll let you know if my sight is an issue. I was trying to be playful/serious. He ended up saying my next 4 sessions are free. I’m down for that! My only downfall…kombucha. I gave up carbonated drinks except that. My nutritionist said after surgery I have to wait at least 6 months before I can drink it again but only 2oz max. She said it has wonderful health benefits it’s just the sugar. I know it tastes like fizzy flavored sauerkraut juice, but it’s SOOOO YUMMY . Anyway, I guess I what I’m getting at is that I still feel good. I’m approved and I will take this time to stay driven and continue to learn. Those of you who were delayed because of COVID, what were your strategies to stay motivated. And how long was your wait from when you were told of the delay until surgery? I know that is not definitely the same, just getting a ballpark idea. Any other suggestions on what I maybe neglecting to do is welcomed! Thank you
Sorry about this bump in the road. I am so happy that you are being so positive & pro-active. This is so inspiring to read. Good luck.

Your positive attitude and motivation is awesome! I admire you. I’m assuming that you have some “wiggle room” to lose weight and still qualify for surgery. How long is the delay? Is it indefinite?
Yeah, I could lose 100 and still qualify, so I’m just viewing this approach as reducing complications when I eventually have surgery. Not sure of how long of a delay but my insurance says as long as it’s medically necessary and I’m insured by them it’s covered. I am hoping for only a few months. I’m just planning on being in regular contact with my team.

Back