• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Cramp

Pink Julie

Does anyone else get severe cramp? I’m around 2 1/2 years out and I suffer with really painful cramp in both feet quite frequently. I had it last night, and I have it now. Is it connected? Does it mean I’m deficient in something? And what can I do to get rid of it? :(

Does anyone else get severe cramp? I’m around 2 1/2 years out and I suffer with really painful cramp in both feet quite frequently. I had it last night, and I have it now. Is it connected? Does it mean I’m deficient in something? And what can I do to get rid of it? :(
Hi Julie, I used to have horrible charley-horses, which are muscle spasms that can be seen as the muscle cramps under the skin. I learned two things by asking every doctor who would listen.

First, these spasms are usually the result of a potassium deficiency. Eating a banana every day provided enough potassium to settle the muscles.

And second, when you're having a spasm, knead the muscles with your hands as hard as possible, as if you were unbraiding the muscles strands, which are knotting tight together. It'll hurt like hell, but it works. Pushing fingers into the muscle mass as deeply as possible at the same time works with unknotting as well.

Potassium, deep muscle massage. It works.

Let me know if you try this.

Hi Julie, I used to have horrible charley-horses, which are muscle spasms that can be seen as the muscle cramps under the skin. I learned two things by asking every doctor who would listen.

First, these spasms are usually the result of a potassium deficiency. Eating a banana every day provided enough potassium to settle the muscles.

And second, when you're having a spasm, knead the muscles with your hands as hard as possible, as if you were unbraiding the muscles strands, which are knotting tight together. It'll hurt like hell, but it works. Pushing fingers into the muscle mass as deeply as possible at the same time works with unknotting as well.

Potassium, deep muscle massage. It works.

Let me know if you try this.
Thank you! I will try both today

Hello…I am almost 6 years post op and I have the same problem. I have seen numerous doctors about it and they had no clue. So I did a little trial and error for myself for a solution. This is what worked for me: I dissolve the pedialite packet in 16 ounces of water. I drink that 3-4 times a day….especially on work out days. This has been the only thing that worked for me. I was getting debilitating crams from my feet all the way up to my inner thighs….so I feel and understand your pain.
hope this helps.

Hello…I am almost 6 years post op and I have the same problem. I have seen numerous doctors about it and they had no clue. So I did a little trial and error for myself for a solution. This is what worked for me: I dissolve the pedialite packet in 16 ounces of water. I drink that 3-4 times a day….especially on work out days. This has been the only thing that worked for me. I was getting debilitating crams from my feet all the way up to my inner thighs….so I feel and understand your pain.
hope this helps.
Thank you, I will definitely try this, I had a really bad night.

Back