• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Discouragement versus Too much pressure?

Hello everyone!

I am a person who understood all of the hard work this change in lifestyle was going to be after my gastric sleeve surgery. I have done amazingly well, but after just three weeks have hit a dead stop on the weight loss. It has been three days and I’ve not lost anything. I am still learning signals from my stomach and recognizing old signals from my brain (although very little has happened). I try to eat three times a day, but I am just not hungry. I was doing so much better when I was just on liquids. Uuuugb I’m just frustrated Nd disappointed. Any ideas on helping the mental and physical block?

Hello everyone!

I am a person who understood all of the hard work this change in lifestyle was going to be after my gastric sleeve surgery. I have done amazingly well, but after just three weeks have hit a dead stop on the weight loss. It has been three days and I’ve not lost anything. I am still learning signals from my stomach and recognizing old signals from my brain (although very little has happened). I try to eat three times a day, but I am just not hungry. I was doing so much better when I was just on liquids. Uuuugb I’m just frustrated Nd disappointed. Any ideas on helping the mental and physical block?
Hi Stephanie and welcome to our group.

Congratulations on your surgery. It's normal to have temporarily stalls from time to time Your body has been through a lot and you will have times where you're not loosing, despite doing everything right.

A piece of advice? Put away the scale for at least a week. Weighing yourself more often than weekly can lead to both disappointment and false hope. Your weight can fluctuate significantly on a daily basis and it may not be actual weight loss or gain that you're seeing. It's really hard not to check your progress daily but you will get a lot more out of your weigh-ins if you stick to once a week at the same time of day, each week. I get on the scale first thing in the morning on Fridays. I put my scale on a shelf in the closet until then so that I'm not tempted to get on in between. ;)

Another tip? If you haven't already, take measurements! This is something I wish I'd done from the beginning. When you have slower times on the scale, measurements will show you that you're still making great progress.

As for hunger... It's normal not to be hungry for a while. The hormones that regulate hunger (leptin and ghrelin) have been "shaken up" by your surgery. Hunger will return but it took almost 6 months for me and I made the most of that honeymoon period when I wasn't ruled by hunger. Enjoy it!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep it up and the weight will continue to fall off. The science dictates it will! Please keep writing. :)

Hello everyone!

I was the same way! Don’t be discouraged. Your body is making huge adjustments. Have you tried journaling your meals? It helps me some.

I'm right there with you. Just over three weeks in for me too. But you have to remind yourself why you did this. We all have our reasons. I look at it like college. Unless you're someone who's naturally gifted at academics (or is just cheating and bribing their way to a degree), the majority of college is going to be a struggle. But you have to remember why you're there. Why you're trying so hard, when it just feels hopeless, and meaningless. There's a reason you are doing this.

I, for one, didn't have a major surgery, and make major inconvenient lifestyle changes, just to have temporary results. I could've done that without the surgery. But I would've gained all the weight right back over time. I did this for long-term results, because I've been struggling with my morbid obesity for decades. And you have your reasons. And I'm sure it's more than just to lose weight 3 weeks post-op. I understand the pain of not losing. But at least you aren't gaining. Believe it or not, that happens to some people post-op.

It's so tough. For me, I sometimes feel like breaking down and crying due to how little I can eat. That really messes me up emotionally. I'm not hungry either most of the time. But I was a mindless eater. If I was bored, I would just eat. Literally anything. I would just eat to placate my boredom. Just today, I microwaved a bag of frozen vegetables, as I finally reached the soft foods stage, and I was only ate less than half of it. That did a number on me, because before the surgery, I could easily eat three bags of veggies, five chicken thighs, and two cans of black beans. And I still want to eat that much, but I can't. And I feel like I'm being deprived. But that's what got me in this situation to begin with. So just remember why you did this.

Hello everyone!

I’m 6 weeks in and I have stalled in the weight area, but my pants are falling off, bra it getting easier to put on. So something is still going on. The only time I weigh is when I go for doctor appointments. I brought a scale but it starts at 280. I still in the 300 range. I’m hoping soon I will be able to use it.
There are some days I have no appetite, I still ate a little bit of something. Still trying to build my energy level back up.
If you need to go back to liquids. Don’t give up your weight will start dropping again.

Hello everyone!

I had to give myself time to relax to the fact its a journey that benefit me!! Slow and Steady helped me. Congratulations my friend you are not alone don't give up before the Miracles happen!!!

Hello everyone!

I am going through the same thing three weeks post op. I haven’t lost anything in almost a week despite following the proper diet and exercise. Some good advice I got was to only weigh myself once a week and look for non scale related successes such as losing inches or my clothes fitting better. It is frustrating I know, I’m right there with you, but I’m positive it’s just temporary.

It is frustrating I know, I’m right there with you, but I’m positive it’s just temporary.
That is my belief too. I lost 20lbs the first week, then went to 5lbs. I'm sure we all would love to lose 10lbs every week, that's really not what this surgery was designed to do. This surgery reduces the size of your stomach, to help to prevent you from overeating. Which is really something that helps you manage your weight in the long-term. Even though it's called a weight-loss surgery, I feel a more accurate name would be "weight management surgery." But that's not as sexy.

But I can fit clothing I had stored away for decades. I am a size XL. I was 5XL this time last year. I was able to buy a new belt, and retire my old elastic stretch belt (aka the "fat boy" belt), I've had for years. I can see my jawline for the first time in years. So I focus on those things.

This surgery reduces the size of your stomach, to help to prevent you from overeating. Which is really something that helps you manage your weight in the long-term. Even though it's called a weight-loss surgery, I feel a more accurate name would be "weight management surgery." But that's not as sexy.
You are so right about that. I have been having problems with my family understanding this. The sister I am closest to keeps making the comments that I don't need to run, or why walk for longer than 30 min if I don't have to, and why am I still focused on my food intake if I can't eat that much. It is grating on my nerves especially because we are usually in sync in our thinking. But I can't get her to understand that just because I had the surgery doesn't mean all of my problems are magically fixed. I still have to watch what I eat and how much of it and I have to get in the exercise. But the name does fool a lot of people into thinking it is this magic thing - if you do this you will just shed the pounds without any effort. While I may not be hungry currently and that is a huge benefit, I don't think I have ever worked harder at something in my whole life.

You are so right about that. I have been having problems with my family understanding this. The sister I am closest to keeps making the comments that I don't need to run, or why walk for longer than 30 min if I don't have to, and why am I still focused on my food intake if I can't eat that much. It is grating on my nerves especially because we are usually in sync in our thinking. But I can't get her to understand that just because I had the surgery doesn't mean all of my problems are magically fixed. I still have to watch what I eat and how much of it and I have to get in the exercise. But the name does fool a lot of people into thinking it is this magic thing - if you do this you will just shed the pounds without any effort. While I may not be hungry currently and that is a huge benefit, I don't think I have ever worked harder at something in my whole life.
Ugh, sorry miss. People who haven't been in our shoes just don't get it. Sure, you'd loose some weight, for a while if you didn't push yourself. But you're embracing and making the most of it, that's why you're getting the exceptional results you are! You're loosing so quickly because of your hard work and dedication. No one can take that from you, we all know!!! :)

Good morning Miss! Sounds like to me she might be a little jealous . You are right this is not a easy thing! You are doing so well don't let her steal your sunshine! All of us here are rooting for you!

Ugh, sorry miss. People who haven't been in our shoes just don't get it. Sure, you'd loose some weight, for a while if you didn't push yourself. But you're embracing and making the most of it, that's why you're getting the exceptional results you are! You're loosing so quickly because of your hard work and dedication. No one can take that from you, we all know!!! :)

You are both right :) Thank you for your words of encouragement. I know it is her jealousy showing through. To give you perspective, I was at 292, she is at 223 (my halfway point is 219) and my other sister is at my end goal of 145. As of this last weekend, I now weigh less than her. I know it has to be hard on her and I feel for her, but it still hurts that she isn't behind me and instead trying to bump me off course. My hope is that it will actually get her motivated to eat healthier and work out more. Fingers crossed. In the meantime, my other sister (who talked me out of the surgery before in 2011) has been the best support system I could have asked for. She is a runner that has been at it for years because she didn't want the family gene to get the best of her. She understands how hard it is and has been my champion through it all. I couldn't be more grateful for her words of comfort and the support she has provided since day one this time. She is a huge reason I have gotten to where I am now. Her words keep pushing me and inspiring me to give it my all. But ultimately, the work is mine alone and I choose to keep pushing :D And with wonderful supporters like all of you help to keep me on track and pushing forward as well. Thank you!

I am 3 weeks out from sleeve surgery and have lost 28 pounds. I decided to document my weight loss journey with photos. So many times our perspective is skewed and we can't see the beauty in the mirror. Also, I am not going to let the scale dictate my success. Success to me is becoming healthy, by reducing my glucose levels, improving my stamina, increasing my physical activity and living life to its fullest. I remind myself it took me a lifetime to get to the size I am, but I'm in control and even baby steps are progress. Don't be discouraged, hang in there. We will all struggle, the important part is Never give up.

I am 3 weeks out from sleeve surgery and have lost 28 pounds. I decided to document my weight loss journey with photos. So many times our perspective is skewed and we can't see the beauty in the mirror. Also, I am not going to let the scale dictate my success. Success to me is becoming healthy, by reducing my glucose levels, improving my stamina, increasing my physical activity and living life to its fullest. I remind myself it took me a lifetime to get to the size I am, but I'm in control and even baby steps are progress. Don't be discouraged, hang in there. We will all struggle, the important part is Never give up.
Sounds like you have a great outlook. Congratulations on your loss so far. :)

Back