• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Don’t feel like I’m loosing much

Hi there. I’m 7 weeks today and have only lost 21 lbs total. Started at 215 and now down to 194. I feel like this has been slow but I’m staying on program. Anyone else have this issue? First 2 weeks I didn’t lose much at all.
Welcome to the group Gettingfit! Congrats on 21 lbs! That is no small thing! If you look through posts, you will see that everyone tends to lose weight at different rates. The hardest thing about this is to not compare yourself to others. It is so hard, I know! Of course we all want to just shed the lbs as quick as we can, but our body is fully in control, not our mind. No matter how much we wish otherwise, lol. Only compare yourself to you. Did you continue eating great this week? Did you keep up your physical activity or did you by chance beat your activity from last week? Keep improving your habits and you will get where you want to go. I too have felt like my loss is slow at times. But our bodies are getting used to a new normal and they won't let us tell them how they should act. Good luck on this journey and keep us posted on how things continue!

Hi Gettingfit, Congratulations on your 21 lb. weight loss.like missdarmitage said it seems most people on here lose weight at different rates. Look at it this way you lost 21 lbs in 7 weeks plus any other weight that you might have gained in you didn't have surgery and were on a diet. You also broke the 200 lb. number and are on your way down, that must be wonderful to see on the scale. When I have my surgery, I'll be thrilled to go below the 200 lb mark--a victory in itself!! What type of procedure did you have? Keep up the good work!!

I too feel like I am not losing weight. I was 212 pounds the day of surgery I am now 19 days out and I weigh 198. I am struggling with this new diet. I am on pureed diet but only able to get about 1-2 ounces down. I am getting discouraged already. Any idea on how to get motived again?

Hang in there.
I think your body recognizes this starvation and revolts, depleting you of energy & motivation lowing your BMR significantly trying to conserve energy. Now it's a mental battle, and you can do it. You are stronger than you think you are. Slow is still winning.

I too feel like I am not losing weight. I was 212 pounds the day of surgery I am now 19 days out and I weigh 198. I am struggling with this new diet. I am on pureed diet but only able to get about 1-2 ounces down. I am getting discouraged already. Any idea on how to get motived again?
I would suggest variety! I know it is hard to get because when you make something, it can last you two weeks because of the small portions we eat. But having variety and something you really look forward to makes a huge difference! Have you looked at recipe sites to find something that works for you? I think I found my favorite meal, a ricotta bake, on youtube. It was something I looked forward to daily and couldn't wait until dinner time lol. While you may be on pureed, it doesn't have to be boring. A couple of sites I use for recipes are: bariatriceating.com and bariatricfoodie.com. Good luck! And just remember, this stage isn't forever :)

Don't give up hope. I did not lose much the first two weeks,6lbs I think. Then for the next two weeks I did not lose any weight.
i think my body was trying to hang on to those pounds. Then week 5 I lost 4 lbs.
I am three months out and been averaging 1.2-2 lbs. a week. Last week I was kind of naughty with leftover Halloween candy so I only lost .7lbs for the week. I know my mistakes so now I just have to get back on the horse.

I promise it will get better for you.

Hi there. I’m 7 weeks today and have only lost 21 lbs total. Started at 215 and now down to 194. I feel like this has been slow but I’m staying on program. Anyone else have this issue? First 2 weeks I didn’t lose much at all.
I haven't lost that much either. I am going on 6 weeks post op. I've only lost 24 pounds so far. I asked my surgeon last week. He said I was right in the ball park on the weight loss. Now I am not loosing again. So I am right there with you

Hey there Gettingfit, are you still here? I actually am picking out this person's profile because he or she logged on during the big spam storm of last fall, became a member on November 11th and hasn't been back since November 11th. This is sometimes the sign of a troll who just wants to see if he or she can get a rise out of us.

However if you do exist, can you let us know how you're doing now?

Hi there vettech, we haven't seen you since January and you were very discouraged at the time. How have you been lately?

Vettech, are you still reading along? How are you doing? Is there some way we can help you, or has your slowing down resolved itself? I know sometimes even if people are not online oh, they have these postings sent to their email addresses oh, so maybe you're all caught up. Anyway I report from you would be really nice right now.

Lot of great responses. I think the less weight you overall have to lose the slower it is. Remember to get that protein in, and know that you ARE losing weight. Keep track of your foods limit carbs, sugars and fats. Try to eat more often but smaller meals, and get that water in. Hydration is key as well. Most people really slow down and only lose 1-2 lbs per week. This is normal, ,and know that however slowly you feel things are progressing you are still progressing. Best of luck to you and keep that head high. You got this.

I searched this post out. I will be 3 weeks post-op on Monday (July13th) so I'm still on full liquids. I lost 13 lbs the 2 weeks during pre-op liquid diet, 12 lbs the next 10 days after surgery and then nothing. I'm trying SO hard not to be whiny cuz I know 25lbs in 3 weeks is good. It's great. But it's so scary to then not lose anything for 8 or 9 days. And yes, I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing. I almost wish I was doing something I could blame myself for, just so I could stop doing it. I was down 1lb this morning so maybe it'll start back up. It was good to see that others have had this issue. I guess sometimes all the support we need is to see someone else has gone through it too. If any of you who posted originally are still in the group, I'd love to hear how you're doing now.

I hope someone will post who thought they were losing weight too slowly. But in case they don't, remember what might be the most important answer: your body is reacting to weight loss with an anti-starvation response.

I also hope you will take the advice of so many successful outcomes here and get off the scale. Even weighing once a week can be deceiving. But if you will confine yourself to a weekly weigh-in, done at the exact same time on the exact same day of the week, it will be more accurate.

And from my own experience I can tell you that I lost 35 lb in my first month and 25 in my second, but I plateaued for a long time after that and did not reach my goal of 115 lb gone for 11 months after that. If you increase your activity, your chances of losing faster are better.

But even if you only lose one pound a weak, you are still losing. And your body has been through a lot when you were working your way up to obesity. You need to treat it very gently now that it is taking off the excessive weight.

I hope someone will post who thought they were losing weight too slowly. But in case they don't, remember what might be the most important answer: your body is reacting to weight loss with an anti-starvation response.

I also hope you will take the advice of so many successful outcomes here and get off the scale. Even weighing once a week can be deceiving. But if you will confine yourself to a weekly weigh-in, done at the exact same time on the exact same day of the week, it will be more accurate.

And from my own experience I can tell you that I lost 35 lb in my first month and 25 in my second, but I plateaued for a long time after that and did not reach my goal of 115 lb gone for 11 months after that. If you increase your activity, your chances of losing faster are better.

But even if you only lose one pound a weak, you are still losing. And your body has been through a lot when you were working your way up to obesity. You need to treat it very gently now that it is taking off the excessive weight.
thanks, Diane. I had already spoken to my nutritionist, since we speak before I level-up my diet each time. She said sometimes that just happens and to keep following the program. Which I am. I definitely DO need to get off the scale though. And I am considering buying a bicycle. I am walking but I'd like to get further than the mile around my house :)

Back