• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Emotionally a mess

Welcome those first weeks are difficult and a rollercoaster. Anything including aspirin is on the Nono list including creams for muscles or arthritis. I thought that was taking it pretty far but I am sticking to the program. May your journey get easier as you progress in the stages.
Yes thanks for the reminder about arthritis creams. That never crossed my mind until now.

Good luck with your journey, both physically & emotionally. You can lean on any one or all of us here; we've got your back (virtually of course!)

I am doing much better, however, still have aniexity, I have been staying at my finances house and will be heading to my house in a couple days, which I am hoping will bring a level of normal and routine to me. (He has been amazing, but I like the creature comforts of my house) I was so sleepy this afternoon but did not sleep, was ready for bed, but could not sleep, and now 1115 and i am yawning but awake, which gives me anxiety...any suggestions? I have taken Ativan around 7, so i don't think i can take again for 8 hours or so...and I do not want to depend on that either.
Thanks for all the support! Much appreciated. I'm not taking pain meds because the pain is gas/upset tummy, or mild pain from surgery which i do not feel the need to take anything for.

Mich, take a fiber lax twice a day until you're a pooping machine. Backed up bowels can be bad for your surgery. And drink water all day long, at least 1-2 liters. You know, those "family size" bottles of soda, that's 2 liters. Measure out your water in advance and just drink all day until it's gone. It WILL accelerate your weight loss and you'll feel so good.

Drinking water is frequently cited as "too hard" a goal to meet. But people who skimp on water have no problem eating mounds of food. Water will solve the garbage in, garbage out problem. And it will make digestion efficient, improve your skin and soften stool.

If you can't do it right away, do as much as you can. You WILL feel better.

I hope you're having all the right medical tests. Follow healthy nutrition, and let your doctor track your results.
I'm getting lots of water, meeting/exceeding the 64 oz a day, but thank you! Water is so important. I'm taking a stool softner now as well, which has moved things some.

Thank you Karen these last couple of days and not being able to walk or stand without serious pain, have been a challenge. I am trying to close the pool I have managed to get the anchor stakes for the cover in the ground but the mice have done a number on the air pillows. Got some vinyl repair kits on clearance but not able to walk the 125 yards to the pool area, even with the cane. It is just a setback, but things will get better. Just hopes the weather holds out too.

I was never warned about creams...I think because it doesn't actually go into the stomach. However I was told only Tylenol for life. I have to be mindful of my rescue meds that thankfully are used pretty rarely.

I can not live life without pain cream. I have some pretty nit nice arthritis in my knees and living in MN it acts up a lot. Post surgery I am significantly more sensitive to temp changes and am a freeze baby (I currentlybhave a heavy sweater, with a shirt under it amd running a heater in my office. At times I also put a blanket around me), my hands are almost always ice cubes. When I get even the slightest bit cold my body aches- shoulders to elbow, hip to knee. I have woken my spouse during the night as I cry and toss in my sleep from the pain.

This concerns me -- as I used to be the one always hot in my house and turning the ac down to 68. I have noticed as the weight has come off I am the one freezing. My husband jokes that my thermostat is still messed up. He used to say it before since I was always hot, now he jokingly complains I am always cold - With winter coming I am worried because I may "freeze". Lol.

This concerns me -- as I used to be the one always hot in my house and turning the ac down to 68. I have noticed as the weight has come off I am the one freezing. My husband jokes that my thermostat is still messed up. He used to say it before since I was always hot, now he jokingly complains I am always cold - With winter coming I am worried because I may "freeze". Lol.

I have used my heated blanket all summer. It's supposed to be in the upper 80s here today and i have my heater going in my office. I think I may have to do what my mom does outside in the winter- buy me some heated pants and jacket

Im much more sensitive to cold now also, I say my winter padding is gone lol But it’s more bothersome at night. I sleep with 2 blankets, long sleeve shirt, long pants, and thick socks.
We have solar blankets. Sleep with 2 all year and often take the 3rd from my spouse. If I am feeling nice I put the heated blanket on the bed under the solar blankets. On the positive it keeps my hot box children out of my bed!

Hoodie season is all year for me LOL

Now I am intrigued. I usually run slightly warm to hot, even in winter (and I went through non-surgical medical menopause via ablation 15+ yrs ago.) I wonder if I will go through the next cooler & cold months shivering or sweating. Guess I'll just have to wait & be prepared with coats, boots, shorts, and sandals. Yippee!!!

I'm new to this forum. I'm so emotional and anxious. I had surgery 9/8/21. I feel like i can't stop crying, overwhelmed, scared to fail, food must have brought me more comfort and joy than i knew. I can't imagine not eating for 2 and a half more weeks. I'm eating protein shakes per the doctor but taking up too 4 oz at a time, no pain, am i screwing it up?
Hi Michigan. My surgery was 9/14/21. I have been surprised at the triggers I’ve noticed since returning home yesterday. For the first time since beginning the pre-surgery diet, food smells have been intense. And, those triggers have definitely played on my mind and emotions. Fortunately, I’ve been keeping busy when I’m awake. (I still have some residual sleepiness from the anesthesia.). And, I keep reminding myself that I’m doing this for a very important reason, my health. We can do this!

OMG you are taking motrin? May I ask what type of surgery you had? This is not to be taken as medical advice, but you might need to check with your bariatric team asap to see if you are permitted n-saids. My team absolutely does not allow any n-saids for the rest of my life bc of the damage it can do to my pouch (RnY bypass surgery.)
I had sleeve and was told NS aids are ok.

I'm new to this forum. I'm so emotional and anxious. I had surgery 9/8/21. I feel like i can't stop crying, overwhelmed, scared to fail, food must have brought me more comfort and joy than i knew. I can't imagine not eating for 2 and a half more weeks. I'm eating protein shakes per the doctor but taking up too 4 oz at a time, no pain, am i screwing it up?
Hi no your not screwing it up , your body mind and soul are all connected, we just disrupted the direction, I had my surgery 2001 I’m still struggling with 20 pounds after all these years I had a massive surgery it will be fine just think of all the clothes that you can buy breathing exercises help when I felt depressed I took long walks I watched comedy you’ll be fine.

Hi Michigan. My surgery was 9/14/21. I have been surprised at the triggers I’ve noticed since returning home yesterday. For the first time since beginning the pre-surgery diet, food smells have been intense. And, those triggers have definitely played on my mind and emotions. Fortunately, I’ve been keeping busy when I’m awake. (I still have some residual sleepiness from the anesthesia.). And, I keep reminding myself that I’m doing this for a very important reason, my health. We can do this!
I want your positively. I'm keeping very busy. Back to work full time, but night time is a trigger for me. Not for food, but for things that run through my mind as i lay down...one that is recurring is how i am not loosing it like i should be... makes me pretty sad and disappointed in myself.

Michigan, recovery is hard. And for you and others that have to return to work so quickly, I imagine it’s a lot more difficult than those of us that have more time to recover at home. I struggled emotionally my first couple of days after surgery. I wondered if I’d done the right thing. I take care of my mother because she has health issues. And every time she needed something and my nephew was slow to answer her call, I felt guilty that I wasn’t able to help her. I had to remind myself that I’m doing this because I want to be healthier. No matter the speed of losing weight, I’m going to be able to provide better care for myself, and for my mother. And, I remind myself that I am consuming of very small amount of calories. It’s my understanding that the body can struggle to hold onto weight when it’s getting so few calories. Soon the weight is going to fall off, as long as we stick to it. We can do this, especially if we support each other. I don’t really have anyone at home to talk to about these issues so the group has been very helpful. And if you want to speak to me individually, I think that we can communicate via DM on this forum. We got this!!!

Michigan, recovery is hard. And for you and others that have to return to work so quickly, I imagine it’s a lot more difficult than those of us that have more time to recover at home. I struggled emotionally my first couple of days after surgery. I wondered if I’d done the right thing. I take care of my mother because she has health issues. And every time she needed something and my nephew was slow to answer her call, I felt guilty that I wasn’t able to help her. I had to remind myself that I’m doing this because I want to be healthier. No matter the speed of losing weight, I’m going to be able to provide better care for myself, and for my mother. And, I remind myself that I am consuming of very small amount of calories. It’s my understanding that the body can struggle to hold onto weight when it’s getting so few calories. Soon the weight is going to fall off, as long as we stick to it. We can do this, especially if we support each other. I don’t really have anyone at home to talk to about these issues so the group has been very helpful. And if you want to speak to me individually, I think that we can communicate via DM on this forum. We got this!!!

Back