• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Extra skin

Ok so for those who have extra skin after surgery, can anyone tell me how to go about getting the extra skin removed when it is time for it , where it dont cost me much, my insurance only pays for certain things, and is there any programs that allows a payment plan ? Any information is welcomed , thanks from ct.

One of our members mentioned donating skin to an organ bank. Apparently it can be used on burn victims. We don't always remember that skin is an organ. But I think you'd have to pay for the skin removal yourself, and you have to coordinate your donation with those in the pipeline. You might be able to find financial support among your friends, family, community or GoFundMe if you commit to donating your skin. You'll have to be tested, though, to make sure your skin is viable.

As to when, I believe you have to be at your goal weight or below, and the skin has to be extremely loose.

Ok so for those who have extra skin after surgery, can anyone tell me how to go about getting the extra skin removed when it is time for it , where it dont cost me much, my insurance only pays for certain things, and is there any programs that allows a payment plan ? Any information is welcomed , thanks from ct.

Hi Miss, I have been diligently researching massive-weight loss body contouring for months now. Unfortunately, the only surgery that I've heard of sometimes being covered by insurance is a panniculectomy (removal of the "apron" of skin hanging from the lower belly). That said, I hear that getting this approved by insurance takes a lot of effort. You must prove medical necessity, such as documenting rashes that won't heal. Keeping notes on all the different medications you've tried, dates of treatment, doctors you've seen, pictures of the area in different stages of inflamation, etc.

It is extremely unfortunate that insurance companies do not recognize these types of procedures as "reconstructive". They are still considered "cosmetic" which isn't at all the case when you've lost the kind of weight bariatric patients do. Unfair but that's another whole post in itself.

I'm about 35 pounds away from my new goal (original goal was to loose 100 pounds, I've lost 105 so far). I plan to schedule consultations with the top 5 plastic surgeons on my list at the end of this year. I hope to have my surgery(ies) in February/March.

Once I have pricing, I'll need to decide which areas of my body to prioritize. There's no way I'll be able to do everything I want so I'll have to take a hard look at what is a need (bat wings) and what is a want (butt lift). For financing, I'm taking a 5 year loan against my 401K. It will be like a very expensive 2nd car payment each month. I will have to make many sacrifices to juggle finances but I'm 100% willing and so excited.

TMI for sure but I've been researching so much about it that I can't help to go on and on about it. :)

Hi Miss, I have been diligently researching massive-weight loss body contouring for months now. Unfortunately, the only surgery that I've heard of sometimes being covered by insurance is a panniculectomy (removal of the "apron" of skin hanging from the lower belly). That said, I hear that getting this approved by insurance takes a lot of effort. You must prove medical necessity, such as documenting rashes that won't heal. Keeping notes on all the different medications you've tried, dates of treatment, doctors you've seen, pictures of the area in different stages of inflamation, etc.

It is extremely unfortunate that insurance companies do not recognize these types of procedures as "reconstructive". They are still considered "cosmetic" which isn't at all the case when you've lost the kind of weight bariatric patients do. Unfair but that's another whole post in itself.

I'm about 35 pounds away from my new goal (original goal was to loose 100 pounds, I've lost 105 so far). I plan to schedule consultations with the top 5 plastic surgeons on my list at the end of this year. I hope to have my surgery(ies) in February/March.

Once I have pricing, I'll need to decide which areas of my body to prioritize. There's no way I'll be able to do everything I want so I'll have to take a hard look at what is a need (bat wings) and what is a want (butt lift). For financing, I'm taking a 5 year loan against my 401K. It will be like a very expensive 2nd car payment each month. I will have to make many sacrifices to juggle finances but I'm 100% willing and so excited.

TMI for sure but I've been researching so much about it that I can't help to go on and on about it. :)
If money was no object, and I wasn’t terrified of the pain, I would be interested in a tummy tuck and a boob job (they’ve disappeared). But I just couldn’t put myself through any more surgery. I’m not bothered by my arms, I just wear sleeves! And also, I’m 55 in October and I’ve been married for 31 years, my husband thinks I look great and just wants me to be healthy. I haven’t been able to do much exercise yet, I keep being ill, but I wonder if that will help? Not with the boobs of course, they’re beyond help! Lol

Brenda I find it so hard to believe that you ever needed to lose weight. You "sound thin" when you write. Congratulations on your massive weight loss and on reaching your goal. You inspire me and I am sure others.

I went in for a consultation on a panniculectomy. My goal was to get rid of the actual pannis, which is that thing lowest down by your crotch where your pubic hair grows. In obese women, the pannis can become so fat that it looks like you're sporting a man sized package, if you know what I mean. I'm not that large but I am very uncomfortable with the bulge that I have when I wear a bathing suit or stretch pants.

I have an apron but it isn't that droopy. The cosmetic surgeons explain to me that most people who have the surgery have aprons that droop down to their thighs, and lower. I had Compassionate Care funds available to pay for the surgery but I could not convince the cosmetic surgeons to do it. My problem was that in every place where my body made a fold, I grew yeast. It was itchy burny and sweated and smelled and it was extremely hard to wash off because it hurts so much. I had two other horizontal scars in that area from two Prior surgeries. So they told me to get all the documentation and that they would consider it. But again I just never got the droop that was required in order to have the surgery.

I was kind of ambivalent about it though. The surgeon literally makes an incision from pelvic bone to pelvic bone, then sucks out the fat from the pannis and cuts away excessive skin and does a tummy tuck, then Staples you up. My surgeons were careful to warn me that it was a very difficult recovery and that I would be in pain for a long time. So it's not the kind of surgery that you ever want to have for cosmetic reasons. However I was told that if I had a large enough apron, it could be considered reconstructive surgery, but only if I had a lot of people on my side.

After that consultation I decided that I would just live with it and all the other skin that was sagging. I figured the scars would be worse than the appearance of the SAG. That's a decision I am glad I made. I had to practice body acceptance in order to go through this all and carry these physical defects which are unattractive to me.

but in the end I was glad I didn't get approved. Since that time I have had to have my knee replaced and one of my shoulders replaced and surgeries on my septum because my sinuses were wrecked by smoking cigarettes. I've had enough surgeries but I know that I'm not done yet. I'm sure I'm going to end up having my other knee done and that is a lot of time to spend on crutches and in pain.

This pannis issue is not a small or unknown thing. there are companies that sell a kind of girdle that is rigid and flattens the pannis down under your underpants so it doesn't stick out. I think this is a very important thing for some women. I am almost one of the women who would have this type of device.

We are all beautiful in our own way. It truly is a fact that the most beautiful thing about a woman is the kindness she gives to others.

If money was no object, and I wasn’t terrified of the pain, I would be interested in a tummy tuck and a boob job (they’ve disappeared). But I just couldn’t put myself through any more surgery. I’m not bothered by my arms, I just wear sleeves! And also, I’m 55 in October and I’ve been married for 31 years, my husband thinks I look great and just wants me to be healthy. I haven’t been able to do much exercise yet, I keep being ill, but I wonder if that will help? Not with the boobs of course, they’re beyond help! Lol

Too funny about the boobs Julie, I can relate to "deflating" myself. A tummy tuck and a breast lift are also on the top of my list.

I really hope that your recovery from this last surgery is still going well and that moving forward, you're healthy as can be. :)

Brenda I find it so hard to believe that you ever needed to lose weight. You "sound thin" when you write. Congratulations on your massive weight loss and on reaching your goal. You inspire me and I am sure others.

Thank you Diane, that means a lot. :)

As many of you know, I've been on this roller-coaster since early childhood. I am so grateful for this surgery. Most importantly, it has given me back my health. It also has me excited about things that I'd never thought I'd ever have such as a flat tummy, perky breasts, "normal" arms... To me, the surgical scars will serve as reminders of how hard I worked and are worth to get my body ready for the second half of my life.

Well thanks for the info, I enjoy reading about it, i still have a ways to go, I'm only 2 months out from surgery and so far i lost 140 pounds since i started my weight loss journey back in October 2018 had my surgery 26th june 2019 and next month would be a year now, it's been a long hard road to get to where I am at now but it's been worth every step, I'm still trying to get used to this whole thing especially the barely eating thing lol but I'll get the hang of it, I been trying to find healthy vegetarian or vegan meal to eat because I still can not hold meats down very well

Well thanks for the info, I enjoy reading about it, i still have a ways to go, I'm only 2 months out from surgery and so far i lost 140 pounds since i started my weight loss journey back in October 2018 had my surgery 26th june 2019 and next month would be a year now, it's been a long hard road to get to where I am at now but it's been worth every step, I'm still trying to get used to this whole thing especially the barely eating thing lol but I'll get the hang of it, I been trying to find healthy vegetarian or vegan meal to eat because I still can not hold meats down very well

Congratulations on your 140 pound loss!!! That's awesome! :)

I'm enjoying the research a lot too. I've become quite fascinated with RealSelf: RealSelf - Login User. There are so many reviews, stories & pics, you can get lost for hours online. I love that I was able to find many reviews from post-weight loss surgery patients. Most of the time these folks will actually reply to your questions regarding their surgery(ies) as well. Getting the real scoop from others who have been where I am is very important to me when making this decision.

Sorry you're having difficulty with meats. Can you hold down eggs? I'm not a fan but they've always gone down fairly easily. You can get a lot of protein if you add cheese. Good luck and once again, congratulations! :)

Congratulations on your 140 pound loss!!! That's awesome! :)

I'm enjoying the research a lot too. I've become quite fascinated with RealSelf: RealSelf - Login User. There are so many reviews, stories & pics, you can get lost for hours online. I love that I was able to find many reviews from post-weight loss surgery patients. Most of the time these folks will actually reply to your questions regarding their surgery(ies) as well. Getting the real scoop from others who have been where I am is very important to me when making this decision.

Sorry you're having difficulty with meats. Can you hold down eggs? I'm not a fan but they've always gone down fairly easily. You can get a lot of protein if you add cheese. Good luck and once again, congratulations! :)
Hi Brenda, how is your research going? And what are you thinking of getting done first? I took a selfie at the beach yesterday and was horrified by how bony my shoulders and chest looked. I’ve started wondering about a boob job myself, my boobs have disappeared!

Hi Brenda, how is your research going? And what are you thinking of getting done first? I took a selfie at the beach yesterday and was horrified by how bony my shoulders and chest looked. I’ve started wondering about a boob job myself, my boobs have disappeared!View attachment 2053
Beautiful pic Julie! Wow, you're definitely thin girlie. I know that it wasn't your goal but your color is great and you'd never know that you've been ill. :)

I totally get you on the boobs! I've had virtual consultations with the 5 surgeons that I would consider the top post weight-loss plastic surgeons in the US & Mexico. Two surgeons stood out as favorites. One is in Mexico & the other in NJ. I'd done hours of research on each of them, even spoke with some of their past patients. I'm confident that either would do a fantastic job. The Mexican surgeon's quote was much lower but I decided that I wanted to make an in person appointment with the NJ surgeon before making a final decision. I made the 2 hour drive Thursday.

I'm so glad I did, he is incredible! Halfway through the appointment, I knew that despite the higher cost, he was going to be my surgeon. We're doing an arm lift, breast lift and lower body lift. Because I'm healthy & relatively young, he's willing to do everything in a single surgery. The lower body lift is an incision at the hip, all the way around my body. This is a 3-in-1 procedure that includes a tummy tuck, butt lift & thigh lift. He and his assistant tugged & pulled on my body to show me what each area would look like, it was amazing! I never imagined that my results could be so good. Best I'd ever hoped for is "better", never imagined I could be pretty damn hot. ;) My eyes actually filled up.

Oh & a fun fact, he estimates that he'll be removing at least 10 pounds of skin/tissue. So I'm a lot closer to my goal weight than I realized. He actually told me that he doesn't think I need to lose any more weight. I think that's the first time I've ever heard that from a doctor, hehehe... But in all seriousness, I do want to have this done at a weight that I can realistically maintain. I have 4+ months to figure out where that is.

So yeah, sorry about the long story but I'm scheduled for Thursday, February 6th!!! I'm so thrilled I can barely think. :)

Beautiful pic Julie! Wow, you're definitely thin girlie. I know that it wasn't your goal but your color is great and you'd never know that you've been ill. :)

I totally get you on the boobs! I've had virtual consultations with the 5 surgeons that I would consider the top post weight-loss plastic surgeons in the US & Mexico. Two surgeons stood out as favorites. One is in Mexico & the other in NJ. I'd done hours of research on each of them, even spoke with some of their past patients. I'm confident that either would do a fantastic job. The Mexican surgeon's quote was much lower but I decided that I wanted to make an in person appointment with the NJ surgeon before making a final decision. I made the 2 hour drive Thursday.

I'm so glad I did, he is incredible! Halfway through the appointment, I knew that despite the higher cost, he was going to be my surgeon. We're doing an arm lift, breast lift and lower body lift. Because I'm healthy & relatively young, he's willing to do everything in a single surgery. The lower body lift is an incision at the hip, all the way around my body. This is a 3-in-1 procedure that includes a tummy tuck, butt lift & thigh lift. He and his assistant tugged & pulled on my body to show me what each area would look like, it was amazing! I never imagined that my results could be so good. Best I'd ever hoped for is "better", never imagined I could be pretty damn hot. ;) My eyes actually filled up.

Oh & a fun fact, he estimates that he'll be removing at least 10 pounds of skin/tissue. So I'm a lot closer to my goal weight than I realized. He actually told me that he doesn't think I need to lose any more weight. I think that's the first time I've ever heard that from a doctor, hehehe... But in all seriousness, I do want to have this done at a weight that I can realistically maintain. I have 4+ months to figure out where that is.

So yeah, sorry about the long story but I'm scheduled for Thursday, February 6th!!! I'm so thrilled I can barely think. :)
That sounds incredible Brenda! Good for you. I’m just not that brave, and the only part of my body that truly bothers me is my lack of boobs, I just don’t feel feminine any more. But I would want a really minimally invasive procedure and a totally natural look, I’m seriously thinking about it. What is the recovery time for all that work you’re having done?

That sounds incredible Brenda! Good for you. I’m just not that brave, and the only part of my body that truly bothers me is my lack of boobs, I just don’t feel feminine any more. But I would want a really minimally invasive procedure and a totally natural look, I’m seriously thinking about it. What is the recovery time for all that work you’re having done?
Thanks Julie, I want it so badly that I'm forcing myself to be brave! As it gets closer, I'm sure I'll be scared as hell. ;) Gonna look like Frankenstein, eeek!

I'll be in the hospital 1 night and then brought to a nursing facility until I feel like I can shower on my own. I guess that's what people have the hardest time with at first. Since I live alone, I'm willing to stay there as long as he thinks I should. He said up to a few days.

I'll be in pretty severe pain for the first week or so then sore for a month or 2. I'll have 5 drains in until 2 weeks post-op, that will be uncomfortable. There is also major swelling. He said I will likely weigh 10-15 more post surgery because of it. That lasts 2-6 months depending on the person. Fortunately, I'm usually in the best case scenario group when it comes to recovery so fingers crossed. I should feel well enough and incisions should be healed enough to return to work after 8 weeks.

I totally understand about the boobies. I was thinking I would need implants but he thinks I have enough breast tissue that the lift alone should do enough. If not, I'm sure I'll look into an enhancement as soon as I can afford them. From what I've read, it's a fairly easy surgery to recover from. I did a lot of my research on realself.com. If you want to get the scoop from people who have had them, you may want to sign up for an account. You'll be able to read reviews for surgeons in your area and even ask their past patients questions. You're in Florida, right? There are a ton of highly rated plastic surgeons in Miami that specialize in boobs and butts. Let me know if you start researching, I really enjoy talking about this stuff, it fascinates me. :)

Thanks Julie, I want it so badly that I'm forcing myself to be brave! As it gets closer, I'm sure I'll be scared as hell. ;) Gonna look like Frankenstein, eeek!

I'll be in the hospital 1 night and then brought to a nursing facility until I feel like I can shower on my own. I guess that's what people have the hardest time with at first. Since I live alone, I'm willing to stay there as long as he thinks I should. He said up to a few days.

I'll be in pretty severe pain for the first week or so then sore for a month or 2. I'll have 5 drains in until 2 weeks post-op, that will be uncomfortable. There is also major swelling. He said I will likely weigh 10-15 more post surgery because of it. That lasts 2-6 months depending on the person. Fortunately, I'm usually in the best case scenario group when it comes to recovery so fingers crossed. I should feel well enough and incisions should be healed enough to return to work after 8 weeks.

I totally understand about the boobies. I was thinking I would need implants but he thinks I have enough breast tissue that the lift alone should do enough. If not, I'm sure I'll look into an enhancement as soon as I can afford them. From what I've read, it's a fairly easy surgery to recover from. I did a lot of my research on realself.com. If you want to get the scoop from people who have had them, you may want to sign up for an account. You'll be able to read reviews for surgeons in your area and even ask their past patients questions. You're in Florida, right? There are a ton of highly rated plastic surgeons in Miami that specialize in boobs and butts. Let me know if you start researching, I really enjoy talking about this stuff, it fascinates me. :)
I’m really excited for you Brenda, you deserve it! And I can’t wait to see your before and after pics. I will sign up for an account as you suggested, but I’m sure my hubby thinks I’ve gone mad lol

I’m really excited for you Brenda, you deserve it! And I can’t wait to see your before and after pics. I will sign up for an account as you suggested, but I’m sure my hubby thinks I’ve gone mad lol
Hahahaha... It's great that your husband loves you and sees past any of your perceived "flaws". If I were in a I was in a relationship like that, I'd try to see myself through his eyes too. Since I'm single, the decision was mine alone. That said, I have a ton of support from my sis, she's my best friend and really understands the toll my weight has had on my self esteem. She's never been overweight but has felt my pain about it since childhood.

Thanks for your support too! It means a lot that you're happy for me. :) I know some people will think it's shallow but I feel like I need this next step in order to feel like this weight loss journey is complete.

I really have to make myself take pics, I'm a bit camera shy. Trying to find a "before" pic for this site was tough because I had always avoided the camera at all costs. Was only able to find one that I had allowed myself to be in because it was a family vacation with my brother, mom & sister. This was on October 4th of last year, almost exactly a year ago. You may have seen it already.

Hahahaha... It's great that your husband loves you and sees past any of your perceived "flaws". If I were in a I was in a relationship like that, I'd try to see myself through his eyes too. Since I'm single, the decision was mine alone. That said, I have a ton of support from my sis, she's my best friend and really understands the toll my weight has had on my self esteem. She's never been overweight but has felt my pain about it since childhood.

Thanks for your support too! It means a lot that you're happy for me. :) I know some people will think it's shallow but I feel like I need this next step in order to feel like this weight loss journey is complete.

I really have to make myself take pics, I'm a bit camera shy. Trying to find a "before" pic for this site was tough because I had always avoided the camera at all costs. Was only able to find one that I had allowed myself to be in because it was a family vacation with my brother, mom & sister. This was on October 4th of last year, almost exactly a year ago. You may have seen it already.

View attachment 2055
I can’t believe that’s you Brenda! Looking at your beautiful smiling profile pic, you look like you’ve never been overweight! You have done amazingly well xx

Back