• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

for the new people

I know we have some new people here and they dont know my story. I come from a family that is big on both sides. My mother was the biggest and my uncle on my dad's side is the biggest on my dad's side. My father passed when I was a baby and my mother passed almost 7 years ago now, DEPRESSION hit hard when my mother passed. My highest weight was 736.I fought for years to get it down to 601 and I could not do it any more. My doctor helped push the process for the surgery. All the way that they did the physc eval for free. I started with the surgeon at 601lbs surgery day I was 528lbs and now little over a year and I am 350lbs. I started out walking even when I was heavy then dizzy spills happen and I fell alot and the the numbness started to sit in. Then the falling turned into not being able to get up after falling. I spent last year in the hospital and then I came home with the wheel chair. I named it little bertha. The all the physical therapy. Physical therapy says that I have not lost my muscles it is just the fact I can not balance now. So now my reg dr, the nuerologists, surgeon, physical therapy, and metal therapy says the skin graphing is what we are pushing for it to see if it will help me balance. I been at a stand still. But good news is that I still dont eat more than 3/4 cup of food. All blood work came back as normal. And I am doing so much better. Even when people says something about my size I always stop and ask do they know my situation. Even when kids do it I stop and inform them of the life challenges that I went through to get me to that point. I remember on time a little kid had a bag of chips and a soda with a candy bar and was saying something about my weight. I just simply told the child that the chips, candy and soda is what made me that way. Lets just say that the child put everything back and walked through the like with no junk food. I call that a win for the future on that child. But other then the past I am very healthy, funny lovable person that puts all her time to her kids. I did this surgery for my self and my kids. I want to be here for my kids and I remembered that it was harder on my mother when she decided to lose weight after I was fully grown and out of the house. But my mom did a good job even for her self and that was without the surgery that was only by dieting. I said I was doing this for me and my mom. For my mother so I can live longer and happier in her name and for myself so I will be able to be there for my kids. And for my 4 sons that deserves to have a mother that is more active. I have found out to love yourself through the whole thing is the key, I would never change the ideal of having the surgery. I would even do it sooner. This surgery saved my life. But just to let you the new people know. I am a survivor of being abused, raped, and gave away when I was younger. My mother being the main cause of the depression but forgiveness was the key to get back on track with getting my self back to normal. Life is never easy, but it is the way you do things that makes your life change.

I LOVE you, Mamabear. I'm so glad you came back. I've spoken about you here in little bits (SEARCH: Mamabearof4), but only you can tell your story.

I was having abdominal pain and nausea for years. I tried many things, then went looking for a bariatric forum and found this one. I joined on March 5, 2019 and sat here reading old posts and sending DMs to recent members. On March 12, here comes MamaBear. We stuck like glue and wrote a lot and reached out to members and visitors.

Pretty soon the group was buzzing, and some of the OGs are still here.

How this group has evolved since then!

It's just so wonderful how this group thrives and stays alive. And with MB4 back, everyone will learn and share even more!

The best way to get through the hard times is to have someone to talk to and believe me when I say I would rather hear your situation and give you some advice rather then see a different post about a unhealthy habit because someone did not have someone to talk to. We have to band together because people that does not go through what we do does not know the struggle we are going through. I rather be part of the change in someones day then the down fall that comes when they have no one they can talk to. Life is made of choices by us all and we have those few people that has good advice as long as you search for it,

Your story is very inspiring and I love that you make it a point to explain to people your struggle and success when they mention your weight. While we don't owe anyone an explanation for anything, the fact you go out of your way to EDUCATE others is admirable. Diane has mentioned in the past what an influence you had on her time here, so we are happy to meet you. I think it is so important to have a group like this of people who have or are going through similar situations.

Your story is very inspiring and I love that you make it a point to explain to people your struggle and success when they mention your weight. While we don't owe anyone an explanation for anything, the fact you go out of your way to EDUCATE others is admirable. Diane has mentioned in the past what an influence you had on her time here, so we are happy to meet you. I think it is so important to have a group like this of people who have or are going through similar situations.

It is a big help and I believe that I rather educate someone about my experiences instead of them not knowing. I went into this surgery thinking that I would be okay. Just to have genetics knock me down twice. First it was vertigo and second was nueropathy. My vertigo is well contained but the nueropathy is what is keeping me down all year. I have been wheel chair bound for a full year now. But like a trooper I took the foot stands off and made sure to use my legs to move around. I have done so much to keep going. I try to walk more then what they want me to because I was very independent and was always on the move. I do not like being kept in one place for to long. But my kids have been on top of trying to keep me in my seat. so moving with my feet and hands is something that is needed. At the beginning I could not stand to even take a shower. Now I can stand and shower. Even to a point the I can reach places I have not been able to since I had my third son. Keeping inspired and devoted to something you really want is something so beautiful that it makes everyday so much better. I have pushed through it all with being strict and determined. Anything is possible as long as you keep your mind on the prize. I did this to be more active with my kids. But my kids have became more active with me. We work together and the ones you did not think could be your support will turn to be you main support. Never under estimate someone in life.

Back