• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric bypass surgery in May..Im 70

Cookme12

Hi
I am 70 and having gastric bypass in May. I am very nervous..really want feed back from people about my age if possible on how the procedure went for them. I am borderline diabetic and have a bad back and hoping I can improve my condition through this surgery...I have read about 10 books on this, but talking with someone who has done this would really help me.

Welcome Cookme to our group! I am near your age and had VSG last year at the age of 66. I've lost 123 lbs so far which includes pre-surgery weight loss. I didn't have diabetes but so many people have come off medication following surgery. I do have high blood pressure and so far have eliminated one of my bp meds (I was on 2). My back pain is gone and I am so much more energetic and mobile. I don't regret having the surgery at all, it is what I needed to do.

Hi
I am 70 and having gastric bypass in May. I am very nervous..really want feed back from people about my age if possible on how the procedure went for them. I am borderline diabetic and have a bad back and hoping I can improve my condition through this surgery...I have read about 10 books on this, but talking with someone who has done this would really help me.
I'll be 70 in July but had RYGB when I was 56.

I would caution you to make sure your team is focused on your ability to have general anaesthesia. Aside from that, you should do fine! As we age there's more concern about being able to tolerate the GA process, but most people do just fine. And I remember being tested and grilled about my breathing functions. And I did fine!

Thank you all for your positive feedback , I feel better about moving forward..
Did anyone experience hair loss?
Yes, I had experienced hair loss about 3-4 months out which lasted maybe 2 months. It is growing back (I am 7 1/2 months out). I decided to get 2 wigs. I only wear them once in a while because most of the time I am home. I didn't "have" to get the wigs, but I wanted to, for the fun of it. But I have to say the hair loss is the least of my worries. Try not to worry about it.

Hi
Welcome Cookme to our group! I am near your age and had VSG last year at the age of 66. I've lost 123 lbs so far which includes pre-surgery weight loss. I didn't have diabetes but so many people have come off medication following surgery. I do have high blood pressure and so far have eliminated one of my bp meds (I was on 2). My back pain is gone and I am so much more energetic and mobile. I don't regret having the surgery at all, it is what I needed to do.

I’m so sorry -I’m new to this forum and learning how to post!!

Cookme, I was so glad to see your post. I’m looking into gastric sleeve and am 68. I assumed I was too old until I read an article that said I may not be. I’m nervous too, and I haven’t even started the process yet! But we CAN do this - loved JudyNY’s response!

Back