• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help Please!

MeriW25

Hello, I had RNY on 8-25-20, I was 240 lbs and I lost 70 lbs, I am really happy with that, I am, however in Feb 2021 I stopped losing weight, I have been stuck since. I did drop 3 lbs for a short time, then I gained that plus 7 lbs. I lost the 7 just recently, in the last 2 weeks. I have been jogging on a mini trampoline, bike riding and swimming, I exercise an hour plus a day. I consume 1400 calories and I get all my water in. I eat smart, I get around 100 grams of protein, and about 80 grams of carbs. I dont eat sugar except those in fruit. I am stuck, I can not get the last 20 lbs off. its been 7 months and nothing. I dont know what to do, I have upped my calories and lowered my calories. I do have a desk job, and I try and move around as much as I can during the day. But I am ready to give up I want to get more off and I just dont know what to do. Please anything suggestions or tips would be wonderful. TIA

Welcome to the group! You might want to check with your nutritionist or bariatric center but perhaps 100 grams of protein is higher than you need to be. Follow Dr. Matthew Weiner on YouTube, he has patients eat more fruits and vegetables and worry less about the protein.

Welcome to the group! You might want to check with your nutritionist or bariatric center but perhaps 100 grams of protein is higher than you need to be. Follow Dr. Matthew Weiner on YouTube, he has patients eat more fruits and vegetables and worry less about the protein.
Thank you I checked him out and I am definitely going to give it a try, at this point I will do anything. I was wondering if I should drop my protein anyways, so you kind of read my mind lol. Again thank you!

Thank you I checked him out and I am definitely going to give it a try, at this point I will do anything. I was wondering if I should drop my protein anyways, so you kind of read my mind lol. Again thank you!
You're welcome. Don't cut out the protein entirely though, but I think you will find that 60-70 grams is probably sufficient. Again, I'm not a doctor and you should check with yours to be sure.

Hi, Meri. Welcome to the group. It sounds like you've done an amazing job and you should be proud of your success. It's sounds like you have a very set regime, which is great. But, now your body seems to have decided it's set. Less calories in or more calories burned are pretty much the only options. You've lost the 7lbs in 2 weeks so you know how to do it. Keep up the great work.

Hi Meri, I have just small suggestion that is helping me greatly. I was at my goal then bounced up 3lbs (grrrr), but really want to be 5lbs under my goal.

I started myself on intensive behavior modification on my eating habits. DIANE'S EXCELLENT TIP: Put the fork down between each bite
Only eat if you are hungry and stop when you are full. Not snacking just because I "want" something which probably isn't food anyway.
I make myself sit at a table and pay attention, mindful eating. Sit and savor the taste, texture and flavor. Don't eat on the move or standing in the kitchen. Leave something on your plate (I always think I can eat more). I am on normal food 11 months post op, no restrictions on what I eat, just the volume and the satiety. Oh, other thing is if you want food X and eat around it eating other things, you may not get satisfied until you get food X and will end up eating too much. So eat what you want, we are not on punishment. I do get full faster than before by being mindful.

My 3lbs melted off and I am really eating anything I want. I just do it only when hungry and stop when full. Still working on the 5 extra I want to go.

You have already been successful, congratulations I bet you are thrilled with yourself.

Maybe some little simple tricks will get you going.
Sharon

Hi Meri, I have just small suggestion that is helping me greatly. I was at my goal then bounced up 3lbs (grrrr), but really want to be 5lbs under my goal.

I started myself on intensive behavior modification on my eating habits. DIANE'S EXCELLENT TIP: Put the fork down between each bite
Only eat if you are hungry and stop when you are full. Not snacking just because I "want" something which probably isn't food anyway.
I make myself sit at a table and pay attention, mindful eating. Sit and savor the taste, texture and flavor. Don't eat on the move or standing in the kitchen. Leave something on your plate (I always think I can eat more). I am on normal food 11 months post op, no restrictions on what I eat, just the volume and the satiety. Oh, other thing is if you want food X and eat around it eating other things, you may not get satisfied until you get food X and will end up eating too much. So eat what you want, we are not on punishment. I do get full faster than before by being mindful.

My 3lbs melted off and I am really eating anything I want. I just do it only when hungry and stop when full. Still working on the 5 extra I want to go.

You have already been successful, congratulations I bet you are thrilled with yourself.

Maybe some little simple tricks will get you going.
Sharon

Thank you Sharon, I do all of that already, Im over a year out and Ive been doing all of that since day one. And none of that helps reduce my weight (any more than it has already) I know why I gained the 7 lbs that I did and it wasnt because I was doing / eating things Im not supposed too, and that came off easily, but Im still stuck at the same weight Ive been since Feb. 2021. I had a couple surgeries, and some health problems, most of that weight was water, and I was injured so I weighed more than "normal". Its the last 20 ish lbs that wont come off, Im not ready to say my body has decided to stay here and just maintain. But thank you for responding I appreciate it.

Meri, you might want to confuse your metabolism. Eat a big greasy cheeseburger one day and very clean protein-rich food the next. I've done this with amazing results when I hit a plateau. I've also switched types of protein and my body responded well to that. You already burn calories aerobically, so you've got that going for you, but you can shift that type of activity, too.

I'm a little stuck right now too, because other forces are demanding my attention. I'm just going to roll with it until these pests go away. Then I'll be alternating food consumption and adding more profitable aerobic activity (vacuuming, transferring loads, rearranging furniture) to stimulate my best use of available calories.

This might not work for your physiology, but you'll figure out what does.

I'm sure you know this but adding weight training to your workout as well as alternating exercises with interval training is what my Nephew who is a Personal trainer tells me get the best results. And, as long as I'm eating right it works but before surgery my diet was quite erratic. I know from experience exercise bulimia does not work without the proper diet.
J

Back